Ishta2000

What Hard Drive should I buy.

Am looking at purchasing either a 1 or 2 TB hard drive and not sure what is reliable these days?

Cost is an issue and trying to keep it down.

Will mainly use to store, music, photos, movie's and TV shows.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

I typically stick with WD as Samsung are a little too noisy for me, and I had a batch of Seagate go bad on me (4 drives at once all from the same batch) so I prefer to just stick with WD as they've given me the easiest experience thus far.

I'm sure there are people who don't buy WD because of a few bat batches also, but at the end of the day HDD's are pretty similar when you're buying on the consumer level. I'd pick up a 2TB WD Green and be done with it. Samsung make too much noise when reading and parking heads for my liking (that's being pretty pedantic though).

Really they are all much the same now, other than the energy efficent models (which are hopless).

I have had a good run out of all my Samsungs, i'm still very disapointed that Seagate bought them though.

So I would just go for the cheapest drive you can get as long as it's a 7200RPM, non energy efficent (aka Green) model.

Yeah but a normal 7200 RPM one. Don't buy them "green" ones. Brand wise - all are the same to me, really.

Edited by Jeruselem

Goes to show how much attention I pay to HDD's, I didn't even know Seagate purchased Samsung.

I typically just buy one and replace it 3 years later to save myself the headache if it fails (if it's in regular usage).

I've only used WD greens for my storage for the last few years... actually I've used WD drives exclusively over the last 10 or so years. I tried Samsung once when 750GB was the go to size and had 2 out of 2 die on me within a week, I switched them for WDs and still going strong.

I currently have 7x WD green drives, 2x 1TB and 5x 2TB and only had 1 failure in an older SATAII WD green. It didn't die, but it began to fail, no longer passing tests, so I was able to copy my data off it and send it away.

IMO they are all mostly the same, I just prefer WD for 2 year warranty over seagate. Everyone has their own experience with HDDs, its just bad luck if the one you buy dies.

I don't know why everyone hates on green drives, they actually do run cooler and quieter and are no more likely to fail than any other drive...

Edited by p0is0n

Why do people dislike "green" drives?

I have had good experience with WD.

Green drives have slower RPMs, so they're slower to write and read (and seek). But for storage they're fine. Just don't install games or an OS on one unless you're willing to wait longer for stuff to load.

Green drives have slower RPMs, so they're slower to write and read (and seek). But for storage they're fine. Just don't install games or an OS on one unless you're willing to wait longer for stuff to load.

I agree they are not recommended for running an OS, but the lower rpm, lower power consumption and cooler temp may prolong their life spam IMO :) It depends on your needs, for home user storage they are great. I have my games and such installed on a WD black which comes with a nice 5 year warranty, but also runs at least 3-4C hotter than any of my green drives. They are also cheaper so if your data is important, 2x mirrored greens > 1x anything else.

Why do people dislike "green" drives?

I have had good experience with WD.

They are fine for storing a few movies and stuff but I've got a hate for them due to the butt fuckery of problems that they cause in raid

But isn't that exactly what the OP is using the drive for? So why were people calling saying the Green is shit / not to buy one for the purpose of music/video storage?

I've got two green 2TB drives hooked up to the network for a shared iTunes library and they work just fine.

But isn't that exactly what the OP is using the drive for? So why were people calling saying the Green is shit / not to buy one for the purpose of music/video storage?

I've got two green 2TB drives hooked up to the network for a shared iTunes library and they work just fine.

IDK about the prices in Australia, but are you really saving much, if any, money by buying the slower drive?

I would rather have a faster drive so when I do have to do a big copy I can do it "unrestricted"

And don't try to tell me you are saving that much power, the HDD is the least of your worries in a desktop PC.

My last four 2TB drives were Seagate 5.4krpm drives. They do ok moving big files, but are obviously not ideal for small files. It goes without saying, drives at that speed are for media storage, not for games or your OS.

I don't think there is really as much difference in "performance" as people think. I would only recommend a black drive for the extra warranty, or if you intend to run an OS from it, however it is not worth the cost for data storage.

You will notice very little difference between a green drive and a black. I get ~100MB/s write and ~300MB/s read from my NAS which uses green drives.

Read Speeds

Posted Image

Write Speeds

Posted Image

File Copy Time

Posted Image

Edit: source.

The review i stole these from is of a 2TB green, but is very comprehensive, full review here.

Edited by p0is0n