fajw

DellTM UltraSharp U2713HM 27" Monitor with LED special: 30% off

hmm i said i wouldnt but why not get two of these to go with my u2711 it might make me happy for a while and thats priceles

the bezel are kinda chunky but probably not to bad by comparison to the screen size

trouble is even if i was to get a second 7970 it wouldnt be enough and for a third i need a new mb which i dont want yet :\

how far off is good vr head gear i wonder? sony have one... not sure how good it is

So. Tempting.

Not that my 4770 would be powerful enough to game at native res on it :

Thats crazy good I remember when I got my 2711 for 649 at release and I though that was good.

Nich you'd be insane not to get one me thinks its time to upgrade your GPU.

I'm very tempted, but I've been leaking urine like a sieve lately.

You should probably see a doctor about that.

Edited by Devilsmurf

Thats crazy good I remember when I got my 2711 for 649 at release and I though that was good.

Nich you'd be insane not to get one me thinks its time to upgrade your GPU.

Six months ago I'd have not even been arguing with you on this. Lately tho', I have so little time spent on my PC that gaming's virtually a non-issue. I'm looking at the monitor moreso for it's TV/movie watching potential from across the room :

But, you know, I live in hope of having enough time to game again one day, which only adds to the cost.... OTOH, it'd mean my current 24" can be used for connecting to the laptop for multiplayer gaming! (tho', again, it's little 6630 isn't designed to be decent at more than 720p in games :\ )

Edited by Nich...

Has anyone used one of the newer Dells with the antiglare coating, BTW, that can comment on how it impacts things like gaming, AV watching, and reading text?

Well if you are no longer gaming your 4770 will be fine for that. I currently use a 2711 and the antigalre coating is fine. The only people who make a deal out of it are people who love glossy screens like the cinema display. I watch a ton of media on this screen and spend a lot of time reading as well.

Would highly recommend it.

Has anyone used one of the newer Dells with the antiglare coating, BTW, that can comment on how it impacts things like gaming, AV watching, and reading text?

from reviews it has a far less gritty look than the thicker coating on the u2711

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...-review-10.html

Dell’s new Anti-Glare coating allows this monitor to shine. It cuts down on reflections without sacrificing one iota of image fidelity, which is something AG finishes have been struggling to accomplish for as long as we can remember. Even taking both monitors’ abilities at face value the fact remains that the AG coating on the previous U2711 model was a touch too aggressive. This will lead to the UltraSharp U2713 providing a better experience than the older –and technically more capable - monitor in most users’ eyes

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

The screen coating on the U2713HM is a normal anti-glare (AG) offering. This is contrary to a lot of other screens using variants of the LM270WQ1 panel which offer a glossy screen coating. Readers will be pleased to hear though that the AG coating is actually nice and light and is not the usual grainy and aggressive solution you would normally find on an IPS panel. In fact in practice it is almost what you might call a semi-gloss coating being quite similar to AU Optronics AMVA offerings. Dell seem to have toned down the AG coating which is great news. It retains its anti-glare properties to avoid unwanted reflections, but does not produce an overly grainy or dirty image that some AG coatings can.

I've ordered one of these for myself at work, and it should be waiting there for me when I go back next week. If it does the job for me at work I'll be picking one up for home as well.

Nich, the anti-glare coating on the U2713HM is meant to be a lot less 'severe' than on the U2711, to the point where it's almost a semi-gloss display, from what I have read of some reviews. This is what made me try one over the U2711.

From TFTCentral review:

The screen coating on the U2713HM is a normal anti-glare (AG) offering. This is contrary to a lot of other screens using variants of the LM270WQ1 panel which offer a glossy screen coating. Readers will be pleased to hear though that the AG coating is actually nice and light and is not the usual grainy and aggressive solution you would normally find on an IPS panel. In fact in practice it is almost what you might call a semi-gloss coating being quite similar to AU Optronics AMVA offerings. Dell seem to have toned down the AG coating which is great news. It retains its anti-glare properties to avoid unwanted reflections, but does not produce an overly grainy or dirty image that some AG coatings can.

One part of work I'm looking forward to going to back to, haha.

The other thing to look out for is some light glow/bleed in the bottom left hand corners, according to a few of the guys on HardForum, nearly everyone who bought one had some of this glow, to varying degrees, but they have had not trouble with Dell replacing the screen if they asked.

Example 1

Example 2 - the screen burn in is pretty bad, but haven't read of others experience the same thing...

**Damn, Dasa beat me to it...

Edited by fallen19

dont suppose anyone has a 15% off coupon? i might go ahead and order two

Or, you could wait and see what this monitor will be like. The 29" U2913WM, with a 21:9 aspect ratio...

@ Dasa - Not an RACV/Q (whatever the other states versions are) etc member?

brother is with racv tried to get it to work with that last time without succses but someone here posted a code that worked for my u2711 might be worth another try

interesting thanks for pointing out that monitor but since its only 2560x1080 i dont think its really what im after seems its chopping off height more than adding to the width

would be easier to run than my current monitor though vs 3x as hard

~3840x1600 and something over 30" so dpi was no smaller than the u2711 would be interesting

Edited by Dasa

I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the U2713HM to the U2913WM. In terms of pixels the U2713HM is the same width and a fair bit higher.

Edited by fajw

I like the U2713, I reviewed one last week. It's definitely a better pickup when compared to the U2711 (as long as it's cheaper) and at the moment, for the sale price, you'd be crazy to buy anything else.

I have 2x Dell UltraSharp 30" Monitors for sale if anyone is interested. No longer need them.

They are the older model of the UltraSharp U3011 30".

Looking at around $500 for each. They are both in excellent condition.

I live in Melbs if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Sorry, more questions : p

Does the 27" run off a single DVI connection or it needs two? Contemplating running my current 24" as a second screen just for random shit (until I get bored with multi monitor, like a few years ago

Also, has anyone noticed the 'cross-hatching' type pattern on the screen that I read about in some of the reviews?

Has anyone gone with the extended warranty, or it's not the kind of thing they're planning on keeping for 3-5 years?

Anything conclusive on it's power usage? Craig Simm's piece for cnet showed it using 12W even at idle/standby, but that seemed a bit of an anomaly.

Also, is it shitty going back to a 16:9 screen from a 16:10 screen? :

How do you actually get both discounts to apply at once? My RACV coupon code seems to knock off the 30% discount this sale is putting on :

How do you actually get both discounts to apply at once? My RACV coupon code seems to knock off the 30% discount this sale is putting on :<

i had the same problem last time you need to order through small & medium business to stack discounts

i have some cheap led dell monitors here that were supposed to use under 1w but actually use ~3w i could probably rma them for that but for it to be using 12w standby when it only use ~25w calibrated id say the most likely reasons are a cheap power meter or maybe they left something plugged into its usb ports charging

i have had to rma a few dell monitors due to problems but most of those problems have shown themselves fairly early with first revision screens then i just hope that there all good for a while longer and the service is great they deliver a refurbished screen then you post yours back

going to 16:9 didnt bother me with this monitor i guess the extra size and res helped but text can be very small and hard to read if you done sit very close to the screen as it has a extremely tight dpi and most software doesnt support changes in text size

It runs off a single DVI Dual Link cable.

What's 'cross-hatching'? Can you point me to these reviews?

I just went with the three year warranty.

Single dual link DVI cable mate, Display port or HDMI. I'm not sure about power but the 16:9 thing is fine once you sit down with that resolution in front of you all your worries say good bye.