fajw

DellTM UltraSharp U2713HM 27" Monitor with LED special: 30% off

I find the apparent lighting varies depending on the angle you look at the screen from.

Something I don't like is that when some of the screen gets darker it all gets darker, etc.

Also the software that changes the modes does not detect OpenGL, only DirectX.

Something I don't like is that when some of the screen gets darker it all gets darker, etc.

That sounds like dynamic contrast/brightness where when most of the screen is dark the monitor drops the backlight brightness

and the reverse for when most of the screen is bright. Its where the dynamic contrast ratio listed for monitors comes from,

white screen with max backlight versus black screen with minimum backlight (a totally meaningless ratio). There should be an option

in the monitors OSD to stop that, it is mainly used for watching movies and is annoying at best for everything else.

here is where the u2713 crushes the u2711

u2713

30 brightness 22.65w black background 26.95w white background

0 brightness ~19w

standby 0.26w or 3w with a usb led kb so you can probably take almost 3w off the numbers above

sandby with usb delivery cable no usb devices 1.1w

off 0.26w

not bad for a 27" ips monitor

u2711

30 brightness 76.3w black 82.9w white

0 brightness ~46.5w

standby 1.2w

off 0.75w

lowering brightness on the u2713 makes it easier on the eyes in a dark room much the same as the u2711 but the u2713 loses more color vibrancy in doing so

Edited by Dasa

Something else is the software causes you to have to click twice to switch to a window. Hopefully that will be fixed.

Something else is the software causes you to have to click twice to switch to a window. Hopefully that will be fixed.

The problem is gone now. Maybe it just needed a restart.

I thought it was only going to be a 3 day sale? In any case, I paid my sons uni fees yesterday and I will be paying the car rego on Thursday, so I doubt I would've been getting it this year.

Just got mine. OMG how did I work without it! I can have Eclipse and Chrome side by side without scrolling, and software adjustable brightness is godly! I may even write Lux for Windows if I can work out the protocol for adjustment!

Just got mine. OMG how did I work without it! I can have Eclipse and Chrome side by side without scrolling, and software adjustable brightness is godly! I may even write Lux for Windows if I can work out the protocol for adjustment!

Yep happens with everyone who buys these screens they um and ah about it for ever and finally pull the trigger thinking was it worth the money? And then they get it and realize its one of the best purchases they'll ever make.

Yep happens with everyone who buys these screens they um and ah about it for ever and finally pull the trigger thinking was it worth the money? And then they get it and realize its one of the best purchases they'll ever make.

I feel the same about audio gear. People say onboard solutions and iPod headsets are good enough, but if you let them hear the something decent, and all of a sudden those overpriced CPUs and fancy cooling gear seems like an investment that can be put on hold.

Anyway, some comments about the monitor:

- Lowest brightness is too high, I can't get it to match my lighting. May need to get a brighter bulb.

- USB hub is awesome, now I can ignore my tower altogether, and have my phone always connected ready for dev work.

- Like the quick OSD menu. Means I can change things within full screen apps.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, how does this monitor compare with ones like LG IPS277L Scorptech link for <$400

lg doesnt come close

with 1920x1080 res stretched over 27" it will have large pixels so the image will look grainy

lg only has D-Sub hdmi conectivity no dvi-d or dp and no usb3 hub

it probably has a lot of other down sides as well but without a review its hard to know just how bad it is

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, how does this monitor compare with ones like LG IPS277L Scorptech link for <$400

Well, I've not personally seen either in operation, but to get some idea, Atomic gave these two monitors the same score in Issue 142's monitor round up...I think the value factor weighed heavily in the overall score for the LG, but obviously the performance of the monitor must still be pretty good!

Scores

Dell U2713

Build: 93 Elegant and well made

Image Quality: 94 Solid as a rock

Value: 91 Good alone, but great on sale

Overall: 93% One of the best monitors available, pick it up on the next sale.

LG IPS277L

Build: 89 Solid construction

Image Quality: 92 Very sharp, though not perfect

Value: 98 Hard to beat!

Overall: 93% Astonishing value, though lacks things like USB support

review of the AOC i2757Fm/Fh here which looks to use the same lg panel

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_i2757fm.htm

considering its only $330 its probably not bad value and while the large pixels may be a tad ugly if you sit to close at least you wont have as much trouble reading fine print like you would with a 27" 2560x1440 monitor

Edited by Dasa

Dont get a 1080p 27" monitor you'd have to be silly too what a waste of money. Get something at least at 2560x1440 anything less looks like pure shit.

Dont get a 1080p 27" monitor you'd have to be silly too what a waste of money. Get something at least at 2560x1440 anything less looks like pure shit.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of getting the higher res monitors (hell, I'll be getting a Dell one day, hopefully), I am sick of seeing all these comments (not just you, mudg3) about how 1080p looks shit on a 27 inch. And how you can 'see the huge pixels' and so on. What a load of shit. My Asus suits me fine. Sure, I want better, but it is FAR from shit. Seriously. Just sayin'...

As always with these things- if you can see some of them in action in store first then you can make a properly informed decision.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of getting the higher res monitors (hell, I'll be getting a Dell one day, hopefully), I am sick of seeing all these comments (not just you, mudg3) about how 1080p looks shit on a 27 inch. And how you can 'see the huge pixels' and so on. What a load of shit. My Asus suits me fine. Sure, I want better, but it is FAR from shit. Seriously. Just sayin'...

As always with these things- if you can see some of them in action in store first then you can make a properly informed decision.

grandparents have two 27" 1080 monitors imo the pixels are large grainy and ugly but it is possible to ignore them or just sit back a few feet more

but they suit them as there eye sight isnt great

my eyes are fine and i have a hard time reading steam from about a meter away or adobe programs as neither scale with windows dpi settings which imo is realy needed for a 27" 2560 monitor

hell even adobe online instructions dont scale like most websites when you press ctrl + talk about going out of there way to be dificult

Edited by Dasa