Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
warmachine

Mining Jobs Australia

http://www.australia-mining.com/?G1

I signed up for this the other day and have already recieved two emails even though I haven´t paid. Im not sure wether they are automated emails or not but it seems a different person emailed me the second time refering the first person. Anyway weird I cant afford this right now but I was thinking about paying it when I get a new job.

I have started doing my truck licences today I get class two this week sometime then work my way up to 5&maybe 6 by jan next year. Forklift is included with this.

So yeah its going to take untill january next year to finish all my licences and I was just wondering if anybody knows anybody that used this website to get into the mines. I mean it looks like a pretty decent service I just wasn´t sure about its authenticity but Its number one on google and I also guess that im just not used to having to use a service like this to find a job. It seems like a best bet....

I dont know if truck driving is easy to get into over there or what but I will try otherwise; I will try for a mechanical engineering apprenticeship or something OR another engineering apprenticeship/truck driving somewhere else in australia

does anybody have any advice for me.

Edited by warmachine

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/forums/...p/t-426170.html

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1553601

http://www.justanswer.com/fraud-examiner/6...send-money.html

http://au.linkedin.com/in/brianseo

So pretty much, it's a US company packaging up data scraped off the web for free and charging you for it.

All their hires I've found, are in things like SEO (making sure their site ranks well on Google).

I'm not sure they have any actual mining industry linkage, and I haven't heard of it before.

Edited by TinBane

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I signed up for this the other day and have already recieved two emails even though I haven´t paid. Im not sure wether they are automated emails or not but it seems a different person emailed me the second time refering the first person. Anyway weird I cant afford this right now but I was thinking about paying it when I get a new job.

I have started doing my truck licences today I get class two this week sometime then work my way up to 5&maybe 6 by jan next year. Forklift is included with this.

So yeah its going to take untill january next year to finish all my licences and I was just wondering if anybody knows anybody that used this website to get into the mines. I mean it looks like a pretty decent service I just wasn´t sure about its authenticity but Its number one on google and I also guess that im just not used to having to use a service like this to find a job. It seems like a best bet....

I dont know if truck driving is easy to get into over there or what but I will try otherwise; I will try for a mechanical engineering apprenticeship or something OR another engineering apprenticeship/truck driving somewhere else in australia

I work for a mining company, as does my wife. I recruit many people for our mines in WA, my wife heads up recruitment for BHP Iron Ore.

I don't know how to say this, so I'm just going to say it. You are going to find it very, very difficult, to the point that I think that you should concentrate on getting skills first, and then try to get onto the mines later. By skills, I don't mean a truck driver's license, I mean actual trade or tertiary qualifications.

1) Mining Australia Website.Do not throw your money away! It is a well known scam. They can't be taken down, because they are legitimate insofar as they will deliver you the promised materials. It's just that the material itself is absolutely, totally and utterly useless. I've actually seen it, and it would have taken a few hours on a word processor, and that's the best of it. The rest is just utter garbage.. DO NOT SEND THEM ANY MONEY!

2) Truck Driving License - Won't be worth the paper it's written on in WA. You will need to get a WA "HR" (Heavy Rigid) license and sit the test again which is not cheap. If you have only had your truck license for a short time, you'll need to get your logbook hours up before you can do the test.

3) Haul Truck Driving - Everybody has this idea that you can just wander into WA, and drive a truck away to riches. Not true. Iron ore mines are the largest employers of truck drivers, and Rio Tinto is in the process of automating all of their Haul Trucks. This means that there's many experienced Haul Truck drivers who have been put out of work and are now looking for work. Unfortunately there are less jobs now then there was three months ago, with big projects being scaled back or cancelled completely, and production slowing down on operating mines. You can pretty ,much get a Truck Driver anywhere, as there's no special skill involved, so they have the luxury of being able to select people with many years of mining experience.

4) Immigration - You'll need to do it yourself. Unfortunately, I can tell you that what we look for first and foremost is people with WA mine experience first, then Australian mining experience second, overseas mining experience third and people no mining experience last and usually not at all. Unfortunately most trainee driving jobs these days are going to indigenous and women....

I don't mean to sound negative, but that's the honest reality of the situation. My wife and I receive literally tens of approaches every week from people like yourself. It isn't easy to get into a job in the mines without an actual qualification. Mechanical qualifications are highly desired, especially Heavy Diesel Mechanics/Fitters. Unfortunately you need to have completed at least 3rd year to get a go as an apprenticeship. Mines are extremely expensive operations to run. For example, our mine out at Leinster has a staff of well over 200 (including support staff) and makes only around $20 million in profit per year. Those figures may sound like a lot, but they aren't. The point I'm trying to make is that there is no room to carry people who can't deliver maximum productivity from the minute they walk onto site.

With the greatest of respect, if the most research you've done is Mining Australia, I'd implore you to really do a lot of research. It isn't easy to get into the mines. I've been trying to get an operational position for three years, and my wife and I both work for mining companies!

I wish you all the best. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer. If I were you, I'd try to get a mechanical apprenticeship close to you, and in three years revisit the idea. Once you have a trade up your sleeve, the world will be your oyster!

Good luck!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

I work for a mining company, as does my wife. I recruit many people for our mines in WA, my wife heads up recruitment for BHP Iron Ore.

I don't know how to say this, so I'm just going to say it. You are going to find it very, very difficult, to the point that I think that you should concentrate on getting skills first, and then try to get onto the mines later. By skills, I don't mean a truck driver's license, I mean actual trade or tertiary qualifications.

1) Mining Australia Website.Do not throw your money away! It is a well known scam. They can't be taken down, because they are legitimate insofar as they will deliver you the promised materials. It's just that the material itself is absolutely, totally and utterly useless. I've actually seen it, and it would have taken a few hours on a word processor, and that's the best of it. The rest is just utter garbage.. DO NOT SEND THEM ANY MONEY!

2) Truck Driving License - Won't be worth the paper it's written on in WA. You will need to get a WA "HR" (Heavy Rigid) license and sit the test again which is not cheap. If you have only had your truck license for a short time, you'll need to get your logbook hours up before you can do the test.

3) Haul Truck Driving - Everybody has this idea that you can just wander into WA, and drive a truck away to riches. Not true. Iron ore mines are the largest employers of truck drivers, and Rio Tinto is in the process of automating all of their Haul Trucks. This means that there's many experienced Haul Truck drivers who have been put out of work and are now looking for work. Unfortunately there are less jobs now then there was three months ago, with big projects being scaled back or cancelled completely, and production slowing down on operating mines. You can pretty ,much get a Truck Driver anywhere, as there's no special skill involved, so they have the luxury of being able to select people with many years of mining experience.

4) Immigration - You'll need to do it yourself. Unfortunately, I can tell you that what we look for first and foremost is people with WA mine experience first, then Australian mining experience second, overseas mining experience third and people no mining experience last and usually not at all. Unfortunately most trainee driving jobs these days are going to indigenous and women....

I don't mean to sound negative, but that's the honest reality of the situation. My wife and I receive literally tens of approaches every week from people like yourself. It isn't easy to get into a job in the mines without an actual qualification. Mechanical qualifications are highly desired, especially Heavy Diesel Mechanics/Fitters. Unfortunately you need to have completed at least 3rd year to get a go as an apprenticeship. Mines are extremely expensive operations to run. For example, our mine out at Leinster has a staff of well over 200 (including support staff) and makes only around $20 million in profit per year. Those figures may sound like a lot, but they aren't. The point I'm trying to make is that there is no room to carry people who can't deliver maximum productivity from the minute they walk onto site.

With the greatest of respect, if the most research you've done is Mining Australia, I'd implore you to really do a lot of research. It isn't easy to get into the mines. I've been trying to get an operational position for three years, and my wife and I both work for mining companies!

I wish you all the best. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer. If I were you, I'd try to get a mechanical apprenticeship close to you, and in three years revisit the idea. Once you have a trade up your sleeve, the world will be your oyster!

Good luck!

I couldn't agree more with everything in this post!

I work in coal mining, in QLD. BHP and RIO have really wound back on their operations in the last ~3 months or so.

Contractors are generally the first to go, and a lot of mines have had their operations closed. These jobs will filter through to the other sites first. Basically BHP and RIO are hiring internally only.

For someone who doesn't have a good contact, relevant experience, or desirable skills (trade or degree etc) it's very difficult to get in (basically impossible in the current climate).

Basically, everyone has mooched mining for too long.

I

As above unfortunately,

I was in WA and NT recently holidaying but passed through the mining centers and although there is a good amount of jobs available they are mostly for skilled tradies.

You also need to be 'on the ground' so to speak to be in with a shot and accommodation is expensive to say the least.

I had considered heading back to the west after reaching Darwin and try and get some work but decided that it was going to be a to expensive exercise hanging around and jumping through the relevant hoops before securing a job.. And I am a fitter and turner with 20yrs exp.

Maybe try and get a trade in Perth, Darwin or Adelaide, many firms interface with the mine sites and as you work for them you are likely to be put through your mine tickets aswell.

GL

I noticed that web site has no actual phone numbers to real people.

You called them? Ive been exchanging emails but I think that the system is automated by scripts. Im noticing that the replys im recieving are things like ¨You have mentioned you want to be a dump truck operator, these guys earn

heaps! One of my friends only fixes them and he earns $240,000! This is a very

popular and competitive role, ou r service informs you of what is involved and

the best options for you. I can understand your interest as it is a very cool

job.¨ - I never said anything about dump trucks. I mentioned the word truck and the name of the person I thought had replied.

Fuck that shits dodgey alright with what you guys just told me

xyzzy frobozz: thanks for that huge reply, I really needed to know that cos I dont know what the fuck to do with my life but im gonna still do this truck driving course. Now i know WA is prob not a good idea. I like mechanics and maybe thats another way I dont know yet.

thanks to the other posters too. They are also excellent replys. I appreciate that

Edited by warmachine

So you were lookkng at driving in the mines, as you have already been told that is basically not going to happen.

Now my step-dad who is more my father then my actual father is (story for another time), well he is a truck driver. So I have some information I can provide. First off I can tell you there are jobs available here in South Australia for truck drivers (also cheap accomodation). If you are willing to travel interstate repeatedly you can earn a very large amount of money. If you get your road train or dangerous goods license you maybe able to earn even more. The dangerous goods license will be useful as well if you choose to only drive locally or within the state.

I warn you read up on your Australian road laws and truck laws if you get into truck driving. If you follow the law to the letter you will be far better off. As well as if you are a good worker and don't cause any problems they will value you over others and thus allow you to take days off when needed etc.

Truck driving could be a temporary employment option to get set in here and do some other degrees and courses to get in elsewhere. Or you could stay with the truck driving and if you play your cards right retire in 10 or 15 years as a millionaire like some people I've heard of doing that were truckies.

Anyway good luck!

So you were lookkng at driving in the mines, as you have already been told that is basically not going to happen.

Now my step-dad who is more my father then my actual father is (story for another time), well he is a truck driver. So I have some information I can provide. First off I can tell you there are jobs available here in South Australia for truck drivers (also cheap accomodation). If you are willing to travel interstate repeatedly you can earn a very large amount of money. If you get your road train or dangerous goods license you maybe able to earn even more. The dangerous goods license will be useful as well if you choose to only drive locally or within the state.

I warn you read up on your Australian road laws and truck laws if you get into truck driving. If you follow the law to the letter you will be far better off. As well as if you are a good worker and don't cause any problems they will value you over others and thus allow you to take days off when needed etc.

Truck driving could be a temporary employment option to get set in here and do some other degrees and courses to get in elsewhere. Or you could stay with the truck driving and if you play your cards right retire in 10 or 15 years as a millionaire like some people I've heard of doing that were truckies.

Anyway good luck!

yeah thanks heaps for that reply too.

where abouts in south australia.

Accomodation that is cheap you can find almost everywhere in South Australia.

Work is mainly available in Port Adelaide but once again can be found all over. As truck driving for the wine producers in the Barrossa Valley are sometimes available as well as produce/sheep/hay out that way. Then there is refrigerated goods which are mainly local I think but are needed throughout the state usually through companies like Harris. Then there is fuel/dangerous goods through companies like BP, Shell, GTS (dangerous goods) also available but generally harder to get into as they require more experience. Toll is another general goods truck company.

Here try this site http://www.seek.com.au/ if you want to look at some actual jobs with requirements listed, expected hours and estimated yearly wage. I think jobsearch is another site you could try.

Edit: Also try http://m.realestate.com.au to cheak out buy or rent prices throughout Australia choose a state, choose a price or choose an area and browse the many thousands and thousands of houses listed.

Edited by TheSingularity

Bloody good advice in this thread !

That's all I can contribute right at this moment, both xyzzy and Singularity have got great tips you should follow up on.

You called them? Ive been exchanging emails but I think that the system is automated by scripts. Im noticing that the replys im recieving are things like ¨You have mentioned you want to be a dump truck operator, these guys earn

job.¨ - I never said anything about dump trucks. I mentioned the word truck and the name of the person I thought had replied.

xyzzy frobozz: thanks for that huge reply, I really needed to know that cos I dont know what the fuck to do with my life but im gonna still do this truck driving course. Now i know WA is prob not a good idea. I like mechanics and maybe thats another way I dont know yet.

thanks to the other posters too. They are also excellent replys. I appreciate that

well i told you the exact same thing in another post

but im not sure that anything on the forums should say to skip wa for work

there is a shitload of jobs around and you would be crazy to hang around over east right now

nt is the only other pace to go if you want good work but like i said before get on construction

way better than mining

dont know if youre a cousy bro but there are fuck loads of them here and theyre always happy to help out someone who like to suck the guts out of crayfish(lobster) and sea urchins

there is a shitload of jobs around and you would be crazy to hang around over east right now

nt is the only other pace to go if you want good work but like i said before get on construction

way better than mining

dont know if youre a cousy bro but there are fuck loads of them here and theyre always happy to help out someone who like to suck the guts out of crayfish(lobster) and sea urchins

You think... CONSTRUCTION is a good industry to get into in this 'climate' :/ ?!

Edited by Frizzl

way better than mining

You think... CONSTRUCTION is a good industry to get into in this 'climate' :/ ?!

yes(im not sure what "climate" you think we are in)

im not talking about your domestic crap

do you know what you are talking about or are you just going off what the news papers say

there are still billions of construction projects in development in the nw alone

nt also has a huge chunk

i worked for downer edi last year and they had 10 billion dollars worth of contracts over the next few years

these projects are not based off 5 year cycles they are based off forward estimates 4 times as long

Guest xyzzy frobozz

yes(im not sure what "climate" you think we are in)

im not talking about your domestic crap

do you know what you are talking about or are you just going off what the news papers say

there are still billions of construction projects in development in the nw alone

nt also has a huge chunk

i worked for downer edi last year and they had 10 billion dollars worth of contracts over the next few years

these projects are not based off 5 year cycles they are based off forward estimates 4 times as long

Civil construction is dead at the moment. It's only going to get "deader" as governments and private infrastructure investors (miners) tighten their belts.

My understanding is that Downer/Works Infrastructure have closer to $20 billion of work in hand. Which sounds like a lot until you consider that the average margins sit at about 5%.

Anyway, construction is a great career but, like most industries at the moment, there's more talent than work....

Edited by xyzzy frobozz