Sign in to follow this  
kunzie

Atomic can't be a shell of its former self. I'm back! (and need your help)

Disclaimer: I posted a similar thread in Gaming, however Gaming is a bit of a ghost town of late. I also asked that my previous thread be moved. Nobody responded, or acted upon that request. I understand that cross-posting and self-promotion is a no-no. I'm definitely not posting this to get subscribers, free apps or anything like that. Any apps I review are all purchased by myself. I'm just wanting to get feedback for my videos to make them better. Thank you for your time.

Hi folks

My name is Alex and I've just started a gaming Let's Play channel on YouTube. I'm very new to recording and editing and would love some tips from users who know of this sort of thing.

My channel will primarily focus on iPad and Xbox titles. I did try a bit of Borderlands 2, but I'm not enjoying recording that so much. I do however LOVE to "Check Out" iPad games and also playing a little bit of Spelunky on Xbox.

I'd really love some feedback regarding my videos and perhaps suggestions of other titles I could potentially review.

I'm very open to criticism and am happy to hear from anyone regarding my channel.

Here is my main channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TangentsLP

Some of the feedback I've received thus far is as follows:

• Voice audio fades in and out
  • Voice audio is too quiet
  • Regarding iPad games, don't start from the Springboard. Start closer to the "action" to avoid lulls in my video
I have already taken steps to improve the audio volume and have taken the start position of the video on board as well. I cannot however do much about the audio fading in and out because until I receive my new mic pre-amp, I'm stuck with my wireless headphones.

If you can, please check out my channel and videos and let me know what you think If you have a channel of your own, let me know and I'll happily subscribe.

All the best

Alex (Member going on 11 years)

Edited by kunzie

Disclaimer: I posted a similar thread in Gaming, however Gaming is a bit of a ghost town of late. I also asked that my previous thread be moved. Nobody responded, or acted upon that request. I understand that cross-posting and self-promotion is a no-no. I'm definitely not posting this to get subscribers, free apps or anything like that. Any apps I review are all purchased by myself. I'm just wanting to get feedback for my videos to make them better. Thank you for your time.

Hi folks

My name is Alex and I've just started a gaming Let's Play channel on YouTube. I'm very new to recording and editing and would love some tips from users who know of this sort of thing.

My channel will primarily focus on iPad and Xbox titles. I did try a bit of Borderlands 2, but I'm not enjoying recording that so much. I do however LOVE to "Check Out" iPad games and also playing a little bit of Spelunky on Xbox.

I'd really love some feedback regarding my videos and perhaps suggestions of other titles I could potentially review.

I'm very open to criticism and am happy to hear from anyone regarding my channel.

• Regarding iPad games, don't start from the Springboard. Start closer to the "action" to avoid lulls in my video
I have already taken steps to improve the audio volume and have taken the start position of the video on board as well. I cannot however do much about the audio fading in and out because until I receive my new mic pre-amp, I'm stuck with my wireless headphones.

If you can, please check out my channel and videos and let me know what you think If you have a channel of your own, let me know and I'll happily subscribe.

All the best

I loiter in gaming and am interested in recording so I am surprised I missed your posting (if it had similar content to this)

I can't help too much with yoru recording. I've been playign with MSI Afterburner adn found that they updated to 2.2.4 about 2 weeks ago that can record sound (what ever I was usign before could not).

So, what do you use? if you do nto have a web page that details these things.

I'll be checking out your feed when I get home (pesky work firewall)

and

(Member going on 11 years)

I say. thats an upstanding achievement.

Hey dude

I use:

- Elgato Game Capture HD

- Astro A50 headset

I also have:

- Audio Technica AT4040 mic but can't use it yet because I'm waiting for my...

- Focusrite iTrack Solo mic pre

i havent checked out the vids yet, but i dont understand why the audio is fading in and out because of your headset.

in any case, you should probably compress it (to squash the peaks and even out the volume) and then normalise it (to bring the volume level up to max).

Heya Kunzie! I remember both the nick and the av, so I don't doubt your bona fides.

I also saw the gaming thread. I don't have any console, however, nor do I play MP online games, so I am not your demographic.

Good luck with it, though.

Must admit. When I saw a Kunzie asking for help thread I was certain it was going to be an "I accidentally the whole thing". A genuine and original Kunzie event.

As I don't use any of those platforms, I'm just going to leave this thread disappointed that there wasn't a Kunzie.

AD

/waves kunzie. Hi. Welcome back.

Hey guys! Good to be here. I've lurked for a while... occasionally posting in gaming, but thought I'd pop back and make my presence known :)

Yeah, gotta agree with Cybes, I'm not so into iPad titles and the like.

If you were playing SC2 or Minecraft though, I'd be all over it :)

That said, Spelunky ep10 is much better than the borderlands 2 ep1 I watched. Your voice is much louder and easier to hear, and the game sounds still come through okay. It's amusing watching you die :P:P

Also, voice fading in and out could be some software somewhere thinking it's being overdriven and doing compensation. Can you follow a chain of software and see where the problem is?

Typically, a good rule of thumb is set the volume at the OS level, then tweak after.

AD

That said, Spelunky ep10 is much better than the borderlands 2 ep1 I watched. Your voice is much louder and easier to hear, and the game sounds still come through okay. It's amusing watching you die :P:P

ermahgerd, it's 40 minutes long o.o

Shorter vids please :) Most vids I watch are under 20 mins, it's rare I watch anything that long. I'll watch multiple parts of 20 mins, but it's nice to have a break from it and come back later.

Also damn, those boulder traps are painful.

Heya Kunzie !

Long time no see.

Can't wait to check out the video, just got some rugrats to sedate then I'll have a look.

/waves

Member nigh on 11 years? I thought it was closer to 12 in your case...

Not done much in the way of video on PCs so can't help you technically unfortunately.

Not my kind of LP video from the sound of it but will have a look anyway!

Edited by TechHeadFred

Hi folks

All the best

In the same boat bud, I've watched how these other guys have mastered their channels and done alot of research am also interested.

(Edit) Subbed, like the channel to man.

Edited by Nan0_Seconds

Ohai guys! Good to be back :)

Nice, thanks nan0!

What's your username, I'll sub back and put you on my "featured channels" list!

Ohai guys! Good to be back :)

Nice, thanks nan0!

What's your username, I'll sub back and put you on my "featured channels" list!

1212smash

Glad to see you back kunzie, iirc we joined Atomic around the same time (though I tired of my first handle after a year or so). Like you I mainly lurk here these days - probably around 5 years since my last post!

At the very least, it looks like you're having fun with the channel :) I've sent the link over to some mates who both watch and produce game reviews.

Good luck with it!