james91

Sapphire Radeon HD7970 6GB Vapor-X Edition

So out of the options for the 7970 single 3GB, single 6GB or crossfire all with around the same price jump what would be better...

or would it be better just to wait a few months and see what is to come??

7950 $295 and 7970 3g $409 are the best value choices if you are happy to oc

7970 6g may be worth considering if you wanted to run a huge res with eyefinity and texture mods in the likes of skyrim but for most people you wont see a performance difference thanks to the extra memory with current games

7970 6g is bad value but then imo its better value than a gtx680

what are you running now?

7970 6g may be worth considering if you wanted to run a huge res with eyefinity and texture mods in the likes of skyrim but for most people you wont see a performance difference thanks to the extra memory with current games

right now im running 2x 6850's in crossfire.

the other thing worth considering its looking like 8870 will be out around the end of the year so 8970 probably wont be far behind

A single 7970 isn't powerful enough to make the 6 Gb worthwhile and its loud. It would be interesting to see it crossfired with 6 eyefinity monitors but I doubt you would notice any difference between 3 Gb and 6Gb as each card would still have 6Gb to play with. The res you would need for the ram to come in to play would mean you would have to dial down the effects to keep a decent frame rate. You would also struggle to find games that support the ultra high resolutions that are high enough so 6Gb makes a difference.There is a review on Toms Hardware.

a single 7970 may not be powerful enough to make use of the memory by upping the res and aa to try get memory user over 3g in current games

but if it was simply done by increasing texture quality level size and view distance in current games so that a 1920x1080 game used ~5gb without aa id say it could do it easy but at the moment this is a phantasy as it doesnt exist

Just bought and installed this card, Upgraded from the 5970. All I can honestly say is wow! Love it, I run 3x24" monitors in 5760*1200 - kick Bf3 in the guts everything to ultra and into a MP game and the drooling begun! About to start flicking though some other games as we speak.

Inc delivery it was $655 from PC Case gear, and personally I didnt think it was over priced or nasty. Did a bit of research online with it to start with and all reviews etc say it's a nice card, for owning it for ruffly an hr, I've not a bad word to say! Oh and it's QUIET as fuck! got it at 100% fan speed and can't hear it.... (5970 at 100% was louder then the TV)

Guest xyzzy frobozz

You're such a fanboi....

You can get GTX680s for as low as $470, and you're arguing that a $650 card is "better value"...?

Sure, for people running resolutions above 2560x1600, the 6GB 7970 would be better value. For anyone else, the 680 is streets ahead.....

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

xyzzy, not if you can OC. the 6gb is still pointless but a normal 7970 is incredible

Guest xyzzy frobozz

... a normal 7970 is incredible

Yeah, but that's a different point.

As I said, saying that a $650 7970 6GB is better value than a $460 GTX 680 for anyone other than those using above 2560x1600 reeks of fanboiism.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

xyzzy frobozz look at the post date... gtx680 was $500-550+ back then and the 4gb version was ~$640-670+ which can make a difference over the gtx680 2g with mods or high res like Shopi is running

and at the time for people not running high res it was never good value to buy a gtx680 anyway you should get a 7950\gtx670\7970 instead yet a shitload of people still purchased them

just to make it clear i never said 7970 6g vapor-x was good value just better value than gtx680

Guest xyzzy frobozz

xyzzy frobozz look at the post date... gtx680 was $500-550+ back then and the 4gb version was ~$640-670+ which can make a difference over the gtx680 2g with mods or high res like Shopi is running

and at the time for people not running high res it was never good value to buy a gtx680 anyway you should get a 7950\gtx670\7970 instead yet a shitload of people still purchased them

just to make it clear i never said 7970 6g vapor-x was good value just better value than gtx680

Cool.

You can get GTX680s for as low as $470

MSY: 7970 = $409 (the price of a gtx 670)

gtx 680 = $549

PCCG: 7970 = $389 (cheaper than the price of a gtx 670)

gtx 680 = $469 (on special)

PCDIY: 7970 = $398

gtx 680 = $549

And the list goes on and on and on...you get the picture. So now it brings me to my point you say:

For anyone else, the 680 is streets ahead....

Well ummm not really, the gtx 680 is on special, thats why you see it at that price, other than that it is well and above the $500. Yeah sure the vapor X 6gb edition 7970 is overpriced by anyone standards but to say that the gtx 680 is streets ahead is stupid imo....buying a card above a 7970 in general is stupid...anyone who actually chooses the gtx 680 over the 7970 is pretty much blowing cash out of sheer fanboyism. Some people may prefer the brand and I do get that but wasting a good $100+ is pathetic...in fact the 7970 is now leagues ahead of the gtx 680.

Calling Dasa a fanboy when he is only stating facts just shows how much of an nvidia fanboy you are..... I cant tell if you're actually serious or not. Put simply, the vapor edition is overpriced but so is pretty much any nvidia card compared to AMD. gtx 680? useless and redundant, an absolute pathetic excuse for a card, the gtx 670 is now the price of a 7970 and so on and so forth.

The facts are? Nvidia overprice their cards too portray themselves as the premium card maker, which in modern days is pathetic, more people are wanting more bang for their buck...sooo yes the vapor edition 7970 is overpriced but so is the whole line up of nvidia.....and the gtx 680 is the worse card of them all, it's pathetic.....derp?

Edited by `angerfist

Guest xyzzy frobozz

... useless and redundant, an absolute pathetic .... and so on and so forth.

Whoah hoah!

Someone's ...... angry!

Alright.

First things first. I apologise for calling Dasa a "Fanboi". Dasa does a lot of good work in these forums giving out advice that is generally very solid. I actually intended it to light-hearted but, without the ;-P symbol or something similar, I can see how it may have seemd like a dig at him. Actually, if I'm honest, I still believe that saying a $650 7970 is "better value" than a $450 680 is still just a teensy, weensy bit fanboi-ish, but as I said, it was intended to be light hearted.

So, with that out of the way, allow me to address the rest of your delightful little post.

I'm going to assume, contrary to the evidence tendered in your response, that you have reached puberty, and will respond accordingly. Those that know me and *ahem* love me will know that I do this best by responding point by point. For clarity, you understand?

You can get GTX680s for as low as $470

MSY: 7970 = $409 (the price of a gtx 670)

gtx 680 = $549

PCCG: 7970 = $389 (cheaper than the price of a gtx 670)

gtx 680 = $469 (on special)

PCDIY: 7970 = $398

gtx 680 = $549

So.

What you're saying is that you can get a GTX680 for as low as $470? Cool! I'm glad we agree on that, at least!

And the list goes on and on and on...

It certainly does go on and on, and it brings us the the first of many things I don't understand from your post..... Why have you listed prices for 3GB 7970s? My post made absolutely no mention of regular 7970s, it was specifically related to the 6GB version. You know? The 6GB version this whole thread is about....?

So I'm am a little curious as to why you've compared regular, 3GB 7970s? Is this some weird Jedi Mind Trick? What's the story?

...you get the picture.

Speaking of pictures, here's a picture of my rig:

Posted Image

It's fucken' awesome! Note fanboi GTX 6802. Two of 'em!

In case you're doubting that this is my computer, here is a picture of my fist:

Posted Image

You can tell it's my fist, because here it is being angry at my computer:

Posted Image

It's angry at my computer for being FUCKEN' AWESOME!

the gtx 680 is on special, thats why you see it at that price, other than that it is well and above the $500.

So you agree that you can get a GTX680 for $460? Good! What is your point again?

Yeah sure the vapor X 6gb edition 7970 is overpriced by anyone standards but to say that the gtx 680 is streets ahead is stupid imo....

What I actually said was:

Sure, for people running resolutions above 2560x1600, the 6GB 7970 would be better value. For anyone else, the 680 is streets ahead.....

, but hey, why let accurate quotation get in the way?

buying a card above a 7970 in general is stupid...anyone who actually chooses the gtx 680 over the 7970 is pretty much blowing cash out of sheer fanboyism.

No doubt some people do buy out of sheer fanboi-ism. Other people buy on a range of factors including:

- Outright performance

- Power draw

- Heat output

Amongst many other things. See, despite what you probably think, some people buy on factors other than the fabled "bangferyerbuckz". That's why we're not all running about with 7850s. For some of us, we want top notch performance on our fucken' awesome 30" monitors, pumping out 2560x1600 pixels of maximum, full fat detail. We like doing this because it's fucken' awesome!

But we also live in the real world. This part of the real world is called Australia. And in this part of the real world, apart from being fucken' awesome, it gets fucken' hot. So, for us people there is a choice between a card that runs fucken' hot (7970) or a lot fucken' cooler (GTX 680). We know what it's like to run hot cards, because we ran HD 5870s, and the HD5970s, the latter of which ran fucken' hot. It ran so fucken' hot that it made the room uncomfortable to game in in summer.

This was why this fanboi chose not to go GTX480 at the time, because, although running a little faster, GTX 480s ran fucken' hot.

Some people may prefer the brand and I do get that but wasting a good $100+ is pathetic...

You know what's better than having a fucken' awesome rig? Having the money to "waste" on a fucken' awesome rig.

It's fucken' awesome!

in fact the 7970 is now leagues ahead of the gtx 680.

Well, considering that the 7970 is pretty much neck and neck with the GTX 680, with a few frames here or there either way, the only way I can think of the 7970 as being "leagues ahead" is as a cold climate gaming room heater, or doing an imitation of a whipper snipper engine at 100% fan load once it hits 85C.

TO BE CONTINUED......

lol at angry fists

i loved my gtx480's at 900mhz up from 700mhz stock they were a powerhouse for there time they did need water to tame them though

cap mod i tried http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?s...38442&st=20

moving to the 7970 wasnt really any faster fps wise but it was smoother due to no microstutter and it was nice to move away from compatibility sli problems with some games

then there was the difference in power use... from ~500-650w down to ~200-300w total system draw

i think at 1080p comparing gtx680 2g $460 vs 7970 3g $388 or a 1000mhz oc model $407 the 7970 comes out better value

and i think for higher res\texture mods that gtx680 4g Base:980 Boost:1058/6008 $599 vs Sapphire 7970 6G VAPORX 1100/6000 $619 the vapor x is better value but not worth the extra over the 7970 3g... fair?

Edited by Dasa

Guest xyzzy frobozz

lol at angry fists

i loved my gtx480's at 900mhz up from 700mhz stock they were a powerhouse for there time they did need water to tame them though

cap mod i tried http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?s...38442&st=20

moving to the 7970 wasnt really any faster fps wise but it was smoother due to no microstutter and it was nice to move away from compatibility sli problems with some games

then there was the difference in power use... from ~500-650w down to ~200-300w total system draw

Thanks for your reply Dasa, but you're interrupting my rant......

PART 2!

Calling Dasa a fanboy when he is only stating facts just shows how much of an nvidia fanboy you are.....

As I mentioned, my recent builds have had ATi cards.

And here's just one recent quote, by me, that I recall:

To be frank, I'd choose the 7970 over a GTX670 myself.

I cant tell if you're actually serious or not.

Well. We're about eight tenths of the way through this response, are you any closer to an answer?

gtx 680? useless and redundant, an absolute pathetic excuse for a card, the gtx 670 is now the price of a 7970 and so on and so forth.

Unless you want 7970 performance without the power and heat draw?

Then it's fucken' awesome!

The facts are? Nvidia overprice their cards too portray themselves as the premium card maker, which in modern days is pathetic, more people are wanting more bang for their buck...

Well that's funny.

Y'see, I'm old enough to remember when the 7970 first came out, and at that time AMD were charging the better part of $650. It was only when the GTX 680 came out that prices came down, and had to keep going down to account for the fact that it, frankly, is a hotter, more power hungry card that offers little to no advantage over a GTX 680. So they had to create an advantage, otherwise nobody would by the thing - price.

sooo yes the vapor edition 7970 is overpriced but so is the whole line up of nvidia.....

Which would be an incredibly killer valid point if I had been discussing the entire AMD/NVidia range. But I wasn't. I was discussing the 6GB 7970.

It was you that launched into a passionate defence of the 7970, while calling the GTX 680 words like "pathetic" and "redundant" and "leagues ahead".

Which kinda makes you sound like a "fanboi". I just buy the best card for my needs, regardless of manufacturer.

and the gtx 680 is the worse card of them all, it's pathetic.....derp?

Opps! There you go again imitating a fanboi!

Derp indeed!

PS - I hope you had as much fun reading his as I had writing it. It's intended as a bit of fun with a tiny dig in it. But not too much dig. Just a teensy bit. But a dig nonetheless. But fun too! Focus on the fun!

Fun!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Guest xyzzy frobozz

That pc looks awesome nice job but how could you put your h100 at the front of the case

Cut the bottom out of the drive cage and cable tied at the top and Velcro a the bottom.