mmd

Which WIFI Extender?

Hi all

I had a Netger DGN2000 and the wifi range was fine in the house but the 2000 died. I bought the DGND3700 as a replacement but wifi range is lower. I am looking at buying a repeater to put in the dead area, but unsure which one to purchase, any suggestions?

The house has rj45 points in every room so I can connect the repeater via cat5 and then the devices in that area can connect to the wifi repeater.

Thanks

Hi all

I had a Netger DGN2000 and the wifi range was fine in the house but the 2000 died. I bought the DGND3700 as a replacement but wifi range is lower. I am looking at buying a repeater to put in the dead area, but unsure which one to purchase, any suggestions?

The house has rj45 points in every room so I can connect the repeater via cat5 and then the devices in that area can connect to the wifi repeater.

Thanks

So you are not actually after a repeater or extender if it can be hooked back in to Ethernet.

A repeater or extender picks up the existing wifi signal and rebroadcasts it. This effectively cuts wifi speeds in half and is a last resort way to extend wifi IMO.

Ok as you can connect back in to Ethernet then any wireless AP will do or if you want extra Ethernet points in that room to you could use a standard wireless router (not router/modem) in WAN bypass mode.

Again as you are hooking back in to Ethernet you can go any wireless device you like as there will be no compatibility issues with the Netgear.

I would probably try a TP-Link TL-WR2543ND router because it is up to 450Mbps wireless N, and has 4 gigabit LAN ports.

Set up in WAN bypass mode this would also give you three usable gigabit LAN ports in that room (only useful if you have other gigabit LAN devices of course).

WAN bypass mode.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=933517

For a straight AP then say a TP-Link TL-WA801ND would probably do.

I did fit a 450Mbs wireless N router to a cousins place for extended range and he seems very happy with it. Can't remember the exact model ATM and can't damn well find the invoice. I did fit higher gain antennas mounted outside on his eves though as he wanted range extended to two other buildings. Not an ideal setup but does seem to work enough for him.

Otherwise the Ubiquiti Unifi is supposed to be good

http://store.freenet-antennas.com.au/produ...0f70d8dcba978f2

but much more expensive.

I have the Indoor UniFi AP here but haven't tested it apart from checking it actually works.

Big issue I had was the controller software you need to install to access and configure it would not run. After some googling found it was a JAVA issue in that the Unifi software refuses to work with the latest JAVA version so had to grab the beta of the Unifi software.

Why the hell they used JAVA for the control interface I have no idea.

However once working it does allow you to do some pretty neat things with the Unifi AP.

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#UnifiSoftware

Oh forgot log in to the DGND3700's interface and check the wireless is set to 100% power. Some routers are now coming out with the output of the wireless set to 50% max output.

I also see the DGND3700 is one of those painful bloody units with internal antennas.

I hate them, hate, hate, hate.

:P

Edited by aliali

i had a similar requirement to you and bought a D-Link DAP-1525. It's hooked up to cat 6 and it has a few additional Ethernet ports which I also needed...

aliali

I looked through the settings for the modem and couldn't see where the WIFI output can be adjusted. Can you point me in the right direction? I have the latest firmware: V1.0.0.17_1.0.17

I found my old apple airport express so I will try that to see if that can act as an access point before spending more money.

Cheers

aliali

I looked through the settings for the modem and couldn't see where the WIFI output can be adjusted. Can you point me in the right direction? I have the latest firmware: V1.0.0.17_1.0.17

I found my old apple airport express so I will try that to see if that can act as an access point before spending more money.

Cheers

No idea, your router may not have that option, some do some don't. For my Billion 7800N

it is under configuration > LAN > Wireless, but is only visible when the advanced options are enabled.

Had a quick look at the manual and doesn't look like the DGND3700 has an output setting for wireless.

With your DGN3700...you're not using 5GHz range, are you?

Set it to broadcast only 2.4GHz and the range is longer. 5GHz is only suitable for devices that require higher throughput but are in the same room, direct line of sight.

Hi all

Thanks

I would like to recommand you the TP-LINK TL-WA830RE which with 300Mbps wireless speed, Two MIMO antennas greatly extend your existing wireless coverage to eliminate “dead zones”,

or you can choice the TL-WA730RE with 150 mbps wireless, but have the same function and lower price...

Edited by steveneoi

I think Netgear Dual Band WiFi Extender WN3500RP is the best its a Worldwide Double Group WiFi Variety Device, Wall-plug Version expands dual band WiFi protection and works with any conventional WiFi wireless router or gateway.