Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
david.gordon.lane

BBQ's

What have you got?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How many burners does your BBQ have?

• 2 Burners
    • 3 Burners
    • 4 Burners
    • 5 Burners
    • 6 Burners
    • 8 Burners
    • Not Applicable
  2. 2. What does it use for fuel?

• Gas
    • Electric
    • Coal
    • Wood

The BBQ often referred to when talking about Australian culture but actually having it's roots in many countries. Sometimes what we refer to as BBQing is considered incorrect in other countries. America for instance sees BBQing as cooking through indirect means (eg Smoking) while what we consider BBQing they would call Grilling. Still there is something very Aussie about the BBQ no matter which way you look at it, it's an outdoor thing and is usually thought of when having a gathering of friends or family (or Both). It's easy, it's quick and it's a great excuse to have a beer (hey i need the beer for the onion rings), but still all of these things can easily be related to other countries. In Indonesia the BBQ is a fairly big thing although for them it is usually a wood fire and instead of beer on the onion it's sugar (caramelises but with a different taste).

So what is it to you that makes the BBQ such an Aussie icon, is it just because of the saying "throw some more shrimp on the BarBe" or is there more to it?

To me the BBQ will always be something i see as very Aussie because it is a great excuse to get friends around, and it gets everyone outside in the fresh air having fun and having a few drinks. Something i see as very Aussie.

4 burner gas BBQ here. BBQ's *are* awesome and so is the charcoaled sustainenance that comes from them. When else do we males get the chance to wear boobs on our chest in public and not odd looks :p

Looking forward to BBQ season getting back into full swing. Anyone for snags?

I'd like an open flame BBQ, a coal one would be pretty sweet.

I used to have a Spit that i made from a 20 Gallon drum, it was great but there was no reason to bring it to the Gold Coast because i don't have enough friends to eat a whole pig.

4 burner gas BBQ here. BBQ's *are* awesome and so is the charcoaled sustainenance that comes from them. When else do we males get the chance to wear boobs on our chest in public and not odd looks :p

Looking forward to BBQ season getting back into full swing. Anyone for snags?

If you are going to do just snags then make sure you have two flat plates, instead of one Grill and one flat so you can smash out large amounts of Snags at one time.

Wood fire or charcoal cooks better , but I voted Gas... It burns cleaner and it may help reduce the number of trees knocked down and with plenty of volcanic rock the gas cooks well enough.

A BBQ is on my to get list, I cook with other peoples ones often enough and there is something special about drinking beer and cooking outside....

Sadly my "backyard" is only about a meter and a half across, so a little 2 burner is the only option for me.

It's a BBQ nonetheless and meat always tastes better on it.

Roll on the warmer months!

A BBQ is on my to get list, I cook with other peoples ones often enough and there is something special about drinking beer and cooking outside....

Well, the special thing is that it is good!

Well, the special thing is that it is good!

Amen, brother. Amen.

N/A and coal.

The humble Weber.

Don't leave home without it.

Gets a little difficult on a train though.

I took mine on a bus and two trains :p

I have a 4 burner beast that I picked up for free on hard rubbish. The webber was a bargain at $50 for full sized model from a guy I worked with at Defence Science.

Thought I might have troule walking it past the guardhouse but they didn't bat an eyelid.

4 burner (+1 Wok Burner on the side) patio special here.

Lovely looking stainless steel thing, that I picked up relatively cheap because it had marks on the hood from transport, the marks just wiped off with a cloth though.

Too bad it's friggin' impossible to use.

Grill get's WAY to hoot to quick, so mostly only the plate gets used, but gatherings are difficult, because, while being a 4 burner, it's a very cramped one.

Should get around to the place where I bought it and grab a second plate for it.

Oh yeah, running on bottled Gas.

The BBQ at my mums house, we had converter to natural gas, and hooked into the houses gas line. Damn handy that was. Will certainly be doing the same thing once I have a place of my own.

Wood fire or charcoal cooks better , but I voted Gas... It burns cleaner and it may help reduce the number of trees knocked down and with plenty of volcanic rock the gas cooks well enough.

Whoot, let's all burn a fossil fuel rather than a renewable fuel!

And the spit roast beats the BBQ hands down :D

Any time I get the chance to cook on the BBQ, I take it.

Even if it is just normal nightly meal, even during the winter months the BBQ gets fired up at least once a week, food just tastes better from it.

4 burner gas one for me.

And the spit roast beats the BBQ hands down :D

Why doesn't that surprise me coming from you ;)

5-burner, gas. It's stainless steel 'n' everything! ;)

Puzzles me why manufacturers insist on leaving the back open to the wind, though. It's quite possible to allow air into the burners and put in baffles so that you can use it in better than a gentle breeze. :/ I know this, 'cuz I installed 'em in mine.

Got a 4 burner I got on hard rubbish day. Lines all look good, but I've gotta find someone to borrow a gas bottle from so I can test her out.

Now that I brew my own beer I'm looking forward to having a few mates over when it's ready and the weather's warmer.

I have a fork and a lighter, but my parents have a good one. I expect i will use it a BBQ more when i move out because everything tastes good when its cooked in the backyard.

5-burner, gas. It's stainless steel 'n' everything! ;)

Puzzles me why manufacturers insist on leaving the back open to the wind, though. It's quite possible to allow air into the burners and put in baffles so that you can use it in better than a gentle breeze. :/ I know this, 'cuz I installed 'em in mine.

Yep. I had all burners on full but the wind meant the plates were barely warm to the touch. Tried everything to stop the wind but in the end had to cook the snags on a frying pan inside to feed a bunch of hungry atomicans.

4 burner + 2 kegs of homebrew on tap in fridge beside it.

Enclosed court yard backing onto Nature Reserve.

Bring on Summer!

it is indeed a great device.

Roasts are awesome, as is anything cooked on the grill.

I also love it for a breakfast cookup and to grill fish. It keeps the smell out of the house and tastes great :)

Mine and most of my friends units consist of some steel sheet or an old plough disk propped up on some bricks or rocks. The joys of country living :-)

Offset disks seem to make the best bbq plates.

I have a 4 burner gas "Kookaburra" BBQ, and it gets used fairly frequently during summer, especially over the holidays when all the kids are here (less dishes)... the good old webber (coal fired) gets hit up a little as well. Love sitting out in the garden on a warm summers evening and enjoying the outdoors, while eating a simple dinner.

aliali my first ever own BBQ was some bricks and a plough discs. Fucking fantastic!!!

4 burner + 2 kegs of homebrew on tap in fridge beside it.

Enclosed court yard backing onto Nature Reserve.

Bring on Summer!

We should hang out I marinate a great Scotch Fillet thick mothers too :P

I have a knockoff Webber tripod (its a metal dish with a rack FFS) style which runs on coal but I use the compressed coconut husks as fuel.

I find they burn much cleaner and still provide a bit smoky flavor a little slower to achieve cooking temp 15 mins (or a prep beer) but it cooks

really well for a 60 BBQ. One of the skills I have learnt since arriving in Sydney how to cook a nice medium steak on a barby or frypan.

Might fire it up this Saturday 26 degrees god bless the weather gods!

have a 4 burner and a webber

webber is the king for cooking meats! also use it to smoke/cure fish aka salmon