Sign in to follow this  
TheXFool

Monitor Choices Are Doing My Head In!

Is it just me or does it seem like choosing a monitor is just about the hardest choice in computing these days. There is so much personal preference and bias, coupled with the fact that most reviews and group tests seem to be at least two years old now (surely there has been enough new monitors in the past year or so to warrant an update).

Having had my rant I am looking for advice / suggestions for a 23 or 24 inch monitor sub $400. My highest priority is picture quality and accurate colour. The main activities will be general use / web browsing etc and some photo work. I don’t play games so the lag and response times shouldn’t be as important. I just want crystal clear picture quality at a reasonable price.

I do have a personal preference to Samsung as I have always found them to make exceptional quality displays, although I do have to agree with much of the discussion regarding their current design, it's ugly...;

Current thoughts are either the Samsung S23A750 or S24A850D or Dell's U2412M.

I have no interest in the Korean reject IPS's that seem to be recommended everywhere for gamers at the moment. Is all that too much to ask?

Haven't shopped for a < 27" for a while now.... But I have the Samsung S27A950D and its the best looking monitor I've owned. I'd assume the smaller version is pretty good too.

S23A750D looks like a tn panel so forget it

S24A859DW uses pls which is samsungs attempt at matching\beating ips its good but not there yet from what iv seen in reviews

UltraSharp U2412M is currently 30% off $399 down to $279 at that its a steal and a easy choice sale ends tomorrow http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/f...d&cs=aubsd1

good monitor review site

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

S23A750D looks like a tn panel so forget it

S24A859DW uses pls which is samsungs attempt at matching\beating ips its good but not there yet from what iv seen in reviews

UltraSharp U2412M is currently 30% off $399 down to $279 at that its a steal and a easy choice sale ends tomorrow http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/f...d&cs=aubsd1

good monitor review site

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Buy the Dell, like you I'm a bit of a Samsung fan but I've got two U2412M's.

Buy the Dell.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

If you're after colour accuracy, go for an IPS panel.

Beyond that, it's all much of a muchness, so go for the IPS panel that fits your budget and secondary preferences.

PS - Once you have an IPS monitor, you'll never want tyo go back to TN.

if you want to save a bit of money try the LG IPS236V-PN i have had one since they came out and it has worked great. they are less than $200 at umart

+1 to the Dell 24. Friend of mine has 2 and couldn't be happier.

I've got a Dell 23-inch and 27-inch, not a problem with them.

Yeah I ended up going with the Dell.

It was hard to find a bad word against them really, and given the sale it was hard to pass so I just bit the bullet.

Shall see how it goes.

I had the same problem selecting a monitor, in the end i just boaught the Dell 30" ultrasharp. I paid like $1390 I really like it, even though it was a lot of dosh.

And it sometimes comes on special, once i saw it for like $990 or something from it RRP of $1600 i think it was.

Although, Dell have a new range of S series monitors. And i think Atomic wll be doing a review on it next mag. Sounds like a good monitor.

Be glad you didn't get the XL2420T like me from BenQ. I really haven't noticed a massive improvement with 120hz and the picture quality doesn't seem as good compared to my mates Samsung. Sure the 3D is cool and a fun thing to use every now and then but overall I'm disappointed with my purchase.

For me monitor is just above ram in terms of importance. They're always on sale and it's one of those things I can just go in grab when I see a good deal. I've decided to go for a cheap 24" monitor and get my baby at a later date. I'll eventually want to run three 24" quality Monitors but until then one sub quality monitor will do fine for me.

I've got a Dell 22 inch (funnily enough, it's taller than my other 2 monitors so it looks bigger ) a Benq 24 and an Acer 24.

I'm thinking of just going a 27 inch from here on in and maybe doing more monitors in the future, since this setup really isn't working for me as well as I had hoped.

I've got a Dell 22 inch (funnily enough, it's taller than my other 2 monitors so it looks bigger ) a Benq 24 and an Acer 24.

I'm thinking of just going a 27 inch from here on in and maybe doing more monitors in the future, since this setup really isn't working for me as well as I had hoped.

Size vs screen quality? For example dropping my screen size down to 22" but getting a better model would improve graphical quality correct?