Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Need some advice on buying a new setup

Hi Guys,

Been about 3 years since i built and system as i have been totally immersed in Gaming. With all technology coming out it was so hard to keep up with so i just gave up.

For starters i use AusPC as my main shopping place ,i know they are expensive but they have always been good with me. Normally i get parts within a 24 hour time frame living in Adelaide.

What i am looking for is a system for mainly playing MMO's and some minor Word Processing. Also need to use it for watching DVD's too.

Looking around $2500 or maybe more.

With the Graphics scene moving so fast i was thinking maybe getting a Graphics with HDMI Output and a new LED monitor to support it, not sure if this can be done for gaming.

Was also looking at the those water cooling units maybe the Corsair H100 too. With a i7 CPU.

My current setup is a Old DDR2 MB with 4gb and a Samsung LCD monitor 245bplus 24inch WS.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

I would get an i5, a Z77 motherboard, a sound card, a Radeon HD 7970, 2 x 4 GB RAM or more if you need it. See if you can go to a shop and compare monitors if you really want one. Youu would need to decide between IPS and TN. Does PC noise bother you?

Edited by fajw

you can build a real nice comp for around $2.5K

something like I got, but Z77 would certainly satisfy you

I'd really like to get one of those Asrock Z77 OC boards - I believe Mushkin has RAM that will match the colour scheme (it's a bit strange....)

if you don't want to fork out for a LianLi case, the khaki Corsair Vengeance would be my choice - look good with that board too....

I picked up my 27" LED monitor for about $270

SSD's are currently on special all over - just got another Corsair Force3 for $109.....

my BlueRay burner cost $77

the Corsair H100 is the best cooler I've ever had.......

you can build a fairly high-high end comp for a very reasonable price these days.

Thanks so far for the idea's.

Is SSD's really essential for gaming? I am thinking maybe get a small fast HDD and large HDD for games ,applications and data. I am more concerned with SSD's failing and needing to re-install everything ,as games the registry will be on the SSD.

Forgot about the case too. What about PSU's i was thinking maybe a Seasonic 700W modular type.

Probably Z 77 will be the way to go ,probably a Gigabyte board last ASUS board sent me around the bend with the voice feature.

With the sound card i would prefer onboard as i am deaf sound quality is not much difference for me.

Edited by codecreeper

SSDs are not essential for gaming; it will just make loads much faster. I would get an SSD for OS and games plus a large capacity HDD for data and perhaps an SSD cache for that. If you really don't want an SSD you could use an HDD plus use a SSD as a cache for OS and games. You should backup your stuff anyway.

Edited by fajw

samsung 830 ssd seem to be more reliable than most hdd

there not essential and they dont make much difference to some games but others it makes a huge difference like dnd goes from loading in ~30sec-1min on a hdd down to ~3sec on a ssd they can also reduce ingame load stutters with games that load things on the fly

for a single gpu 400-500w is heaps and 650-750w for two

im using a cache and it works well second load and its fast but the green features in the current seagate hdd make games stutter

Edited by Dasa

You should backup your stuff anyway.

With most MMO's its better just to download the client and re-install the latest version. Only thing i backup is emails and Documents.

im using a cache and it works well second load and its fast but the green features in the current seagate hdd make games stutter

I use WD for HDD's last time i had a Seagate it died in 2months. Green features is one thing i stay away from too. Maybe a Raptor as bootup drive and a normal HDD for Data and such.

I haven't seen recent benchmarks, but I doubt the VelociRaptor is fast enough to justify the price. If you want green noise level you could go red but can't you stop green drives from stopping spinning?

Edited by fajw

Have 2 GPU's mate, theres more GPU power needed in games than CPU. An i5 as the CPU is great with 2 HD7970 it will crush everything. Its pretty much equals to a single HD7990. ;)

raptors are a waist of money at the moment there not worth it

read speeds are slower than 7200rpm hdd due to there little 2.5" platters and if you want low seek times you go ssd end of story

raptors are great. 10000rpm means faster and it lasts longer than ssds and i costs a lot less per GB if you will have lots of large files definitely go for the raptor

I'd personally spend maybe $1500 on the computer then $800 on a dell U2713 monitor and ~$200 on some decent speakers.

P.S don't listen to this fool about raptors ^ totally antiquated piece of technology now...

Edited by nesquick

I'd follow Nequick's advice. $1500 gets you a good PC, wait for a U2713 to go on sale again for around $599 (could be a few months), then grab a good pair of speakers / headphones with the change.

Something like this should suffice for the tower:

Case: BitFenix Shinobi Black Case $69

Case Fan: 6x Nexus Real Silent 120mm Fan $54

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler $35 (replace the fan with a nexus)

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7950 3GB Overclocked $335

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H-MVP $105

CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 $189

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $45

SSD: OCZ Nocti mSATA SSD 30GB (for m-SATA cache drive on Motherboard) $55

HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB 7200RPM 0F15632 $79

ODD: LG BH14NS40 14X BD-R Blu-ray Writer $89

PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C 620W Power Supply $85

Total: $1140

Monitor Choices:

Dell U2713 - $799 - Wait for a sale, or buy the ASUS instead.

ASUS PB278Q - $689 - extremely comparable to the U2713, get one if you can't wait for the DELL to go on sale.

LG IPS277L - $399 - 1080P isn't ideal, but this is the best of a bad bunch IMO. The poor mans 27" IPS.

Speakers:

Audioengine P4 Black - $269

Headphones:

Corsair Vengeance 1300 Analog - $65

Shure SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones - $99 (best bang for buck IMO)

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 - $149 (my pick for gaming)

Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Earphones - $179 (my pick for music)

You could go cheaper on a few things if you'd like to save more money, but it's what i'd use for an MMO / general use box. If you find the HD7950 can't drive the DELL / ASUS 1440P screen in some games you play, pick up a second one when the price suits you.

I'd follow Nequick's advice. $1500 gets you a good PC, wait for a U2713 to go on sale again for around $599 (could be a few months), then grab a good pair of speakers / headphones with the change.

Something like this should suffice:

Case: BitFenix Shinobi Black Case $69

Case Fan: 6x Nexus Real Silent 120mm Fan $54

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler $35 (replace the fan with a nexus)

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7950 3GB Overclocked $335

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H-MVP $105

CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 $189

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $45

SSD: OCZ Nocti mSATA SSD 30GB (for m-SATA cache drive on Motherboard) $55

HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB 7200RPM 0F15632 $79

ODD: LG BH14NS40 14X BD-R Blu-ray Writer $89

PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C 620W Power Supply $85

Totatl: $1140

You could go cheaper on a few things if you'd like to save more money, but it's what i'd use for an MMO / general use box. If you find the 7950 can't drive the DELL U2713 in some games you play, pick up a second one when the price suits you.

On that build could i replace the HD7950 with a Nvidia ,no offence but i am a Nvidia person.

With SSD's my main concern is system crashes where the OS needs to be reinstalled this is why i prefer a HDD system. I know the SSD's are new but still they have problems if you do not know what you are doing. As i am partially deaf i need my system up and running all the time as i cannot use a phone properly if you know what i mean.

So is HDMI better than DVI if i where to get a 1920*1080 monitor could i still play the MMO's in its full glory.

You could, but it wouldn't perform quite as strong at 2560x1440 for your dollar.

Using SSD for caching is different to a conventional SSD OS installation, you get a comparable speed boost without the risks of catastrophic data loss.

HDMI and DVI are the same display signal, HDMI can carry audio signals as well as display, that's the only difference. I'd personally suggest going with the 2560x1440, but you may prefer a 1920x1080 screen if your eyesight is poor. Forgive me, but from memory you're in your senior years aren't you? If you've got good vision, hit up a 2560x1440 screen and enjoy the pretty pictures while you can :P, if not, perhaps look at the LG S227L I suggested.

You could, but it wouldn't perform quite as strong at 2560x1440 for your dollar.

Using SSD for caching is different to a conventional SSD OS installation, you get a comparable speed boost without the risks of catastrophic data loss.

HDMI and DVI are the same display signal, HDMI can carry audio signals as well as display, that's the only difference. I'd personally suggest going with the 2560x1440, but you may prefer a 1920x1080 screen if your eyesight is poor. Forgive me, but from memory you're in your senior years aren't you? If you've got good vision, hit up a 2560x1440 screen and enjoy the pretty pictures while you can :P, if not, perhaps look at the LG S227L I suggested.

So what you are saying is stick with a HDD setup but allocate the SSD for Page File usage in Windows to speed things up. That sounds better.

I was thinking with HDMI for DVD/Bluray watching too. If i can use both formats in Gaming ,eyesight is still on par for a 51 year old.

I was also looking at either a Z77 - UP4 - TH or a G1.Sniper.3 mobo

motherboard doesnt need to be top models for gaming only. You'd want one if you're into extreme overclocking and stuff like that.

Would probably like to spend a few dollars extra on the PSU for an Antec Earthwatts Platinum for better efficiency. :)

Edited by cohmoddersolo

$2500 can now get a really great computer. I'll give you a hint, with my wish list, i'm attempting a green-eyed monster, and adding things as I go along. Add the Dell monitor, or equivalent, and there's nothing it won't be able to do.

For reference here's my ideal machine.

Posted Image

Obviously make your own little changes, and specifics, but i believe making your own choices to specifically make it how you want it would be ideal.

So what you are saying is stick with a HDD setup but allocate the SSD for Page File usage in Windows to speed things up. That sounds better.

I was thinking with HDMI for DVD/Bluray watching too. If i can use both formats in Gaming ,eyesight is still on par for a 51 year old.

I was also looking at either a Z77 - UP4 - TH or a G1.Sniper.3 mobo

I was originally going to suggest a UP4-TH board, but decided against it to keep costs down :) If you want one of those I can't recommend them highly enough.

HDMI is good for media if you want to also carry the audio through to your monitor (normally useful when plugging your PC into a TV). Other than that, you're better off using standard audio jacks. Keep in mind that Display Port can also transmit audio, the same as HDMI while also supporting much higher resolutions. If you do buy Nvidia, make sure you buy a card with Display Port.

If your eyesight is up to scratch, then i'd suggest picking up either the ASUS or DELL screen I posted. Both are very comparable, with the ASUS being cheaper at retail price. if you're patient however, and wait for the next DELL sale, you could pick yourself up a U2713 for around $599. I use a U2711 at home and love it, but I actually like the U2713 more, as it's fixed a few of the little issues I had with the U2711, despite being a marginally "inferior" panel on paper.

motherboard doesnt need to be top models for gaming only. You'd want one if you're into extreme overclocking and stuff like that.

Would probably like to spend a few dollars extra on the PSU for an Antec Earthwatts Platinum for better efficiency. :)

The PSU is a rebadged Seasonic M12II Bronze.

why all these suggestions for a mb\cpu combo that cant be overclocked?

with z77 and 3570k able to overclock 1ghz+ so easy its a much better value option

take a peak at the value game build in the parts guide sticky if you want to see what i think you should get

why all these suggestions for a mb\cpu combo that cant be overclocked?

with z77 and 3570k able to overclock 1ghz+ so easy its a much better value option

take a peak at the value game build in the parts guide sticky if you want to see what i think you should get

It will not be overclocked its mainly for MMO gaming and Media Watching purposes.

Thanks for the tip so far guys.