Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Need some advice on buying a new setup

they were considering corsair h100... and its so easy its not funny

mmo like a fast cpu despite there age what if a new mmo comes out that wants a faster cpu? if you could overclock which would cost you ~$50 more now you would just have to enter bios and up the multi from 34x 3.4ghz to 44x 4.4ghz and thats about all you need to do depending on your luck with the cpu\mb you may need to up the v a little and always run a test to make sure its stable and if you still want more you can push up to around 4.7ghz on good air cooling with a little more tweaking

they were considering corsair h100... and its so easy its not funny

mmo like a fast cpu despite there age what if a new mmo comes out that wants a faster cpu? if you could overclock which would cost you ~$50 more now you would just have to enter bios and up the multi from 34x 3.4ghz to 44x 4.4ghz and thats about all you need to do depending on your luck with the cpu\mb you may need to up the v a little and always run a test to make sure its stable and if you still want more you can push up to around 4.7ghz on good air cooling with a little more tweaking

So you think the H100 is a little overboard for what i need? Can you suggest a version which may be more suited. Might also help cut down the cost.

All these Ram numbers are confusing me ,which is the better types for reliability ?

So you think the H100 is a little overboard for what i need? Can you suggest a version which may be more suited. Might also help cut down the cost.

All these Ram numbers are confusing me ,which is the better types for reliability ?

stock cooling should be fine unless you want something that is silent in which case a hsf for ~$40-80 is a better choice than water

for ram 1600mhz c9 and lifetime warranty is what you want there isnt much difference with reliability but corsair is known to be good with replacements when things do die

Edited by Dasa

If you do buy Nvidia, make sure you buy a card with Display Port.

In Unco Tomato's post it was mentioned something about a Display Port? What exactly is this? Normally i check for Outputs in DVI and HDMI is their something else i am missing?

And what is better OC or Normal ?

If you do buy Nvidia, make sure you buy a card with Display Port.

In Unco Tomato's post it was mentioned something about a Display Port? What exactly is this? Normally i check for Outputs in DVI and HDMI is their something else i am missing?

And what is better OC or Normal ?

er....you are kidding, right?

a CPU running at 3.4G can't compete with the same CPU running at 4.4G or more

plugging into the HDMI slot on your graphics card also runs audio, IF your monitor/TV has inbuilt speakers

it's pretty straight forward....obvious even

;)

i think his referring to pre overclocked gpu in which case its just a few extra mhz so slightly faster and maybe better cooling

display port is dvi replacement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

since your pushing for quality\reliability look at a psu with 7 year warranty so top models from corsair\seasonic

asus sabertooth has a 5 year warranty

a number of wd hdd and ssd have 5 year warranty

doesnt mean they wil last any longer but it may improve your odds as they sure as hell dont want to have to replace them all

Edited by Dasa

Ok this is what i have so far;

Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP4-Th

I5 3570K Core i5 Processor

DDR3-1600 16gb Quad Channel [ripjaws] f3-12800cl9q

Gigabyte GF GTX 660 OC 192bit DDR5 Base:1033

WD 2Tb HDD DUal Processor Caviar Black Sata3

BitFenix Raider Midi Tower Case

WIndows OEM 7 64bit

Corsair H60 Water cooling

Samsung 128gb SSD 830

Seasonic PSU M12II 650w Modular PSU

Does that look alright for just over $1850.

Personally I'd rather the system I built for the money. You've spent big cash on certain parts, then skimped on the GPU, not what you want to do on a gaming PC.

For the money you've spent, you could build my system, plus buy a brand new ASUS 2560x1440 monitor!

Personally I'd rather the system I built for the money. You've spent big cash on certain parts, then skimped on the GPU, not what you want to do on a gaming PC.

For the money you've spent, you could build my system, plus buy a brand new ASUS 2560x1440 monitor!

What would you recommend for a GPU then ?

The list is only just made up on what i am reading in posts. Maybe i am getting confused somewhere.

A GTX 660 is far from ideal IMO, you'd want to be looking at a HD 7950 or GTX 670 as it alows you to pick up a new screen in the future (that is if you're still panning on utilizing you're $2,500 budget).

If you're playing at 1920x1080 the card you chose is passable, but i'd pick up the 7870 OC from Gigabyte instead of their GTX 660 as it's the same price and around 5% faster. Not a whole lot, but it's free performance right?

Up to you if you want to stick to Nvidia exclusively, though I'm not sure why you'd pass up a free boost in frames.

Up to you if you want to stick to Nvidia exclusively, though I'm not sure why you'd pass up a free boost in frames.

As most MMO's are designed around the Nvidia Drivers. With Blizzard they seem to always boast about Nvidia.

Codecreeper you should be right with a GTX670 2gb even using a 2560x2440 screen.

I can relate to your reluctance to buy AMD, after putting up with their shit mobile drivers for 10 moths now I really wish my laptop had an Nvidia gpu.

Edited by nesquick

I haven't chipped in here yet as you seem to have enough helpers, but I do have something to add..

I don't ever recall seeing 'plays better on nvidia' in any blizzard games though. I hate that game developers are susceptible to this kind of marketing though, would love to see a game that advertised 'plays just as good on any box' rather than accepting hand outs from one company or the other. It seems wow really does play better on Nvidia though. That said even with my 7970 overclocked, my FPS can still drop from over 200fps to 30-40 in places like Org due to the number of people afk on their shiny mounts and all the glow effects on weapons/armour. I remember when I used to play wow maxed out on my 9600xt... it's changed a lot :)

I don't know why your buying a CPU cooler if you don't plan to overclock, let along a H60. If you're just going to run stock speed save your money and use the intel cooler, they are almost silent, or spent $30 on simple heatsink. Assuming we can change your mind, it would take you approx 5 seconds to overclock from stock to ~4.2-4.5GHz. If you know how to press delete and enter, you an overclock these days. You'd be crazy not to.

Rest seems fine.

I don't know why your buying a CPU cooler if you don't plan to overclock, let along a H60. If you're just going to run stock speed save your money and use the intel cooler, they are almost silent, or spent $30 on simple heatsink. Assuming we can change your mind, it would take you approx 5 seconds to overclock from stock to ~4.2-4.5GHz. If you know how to press delete and enter, you an overclock these days. You'd be crazy not to.

The reason behind i want some extra cooling is the room in which the computer will be located gets very warm ,sometimes in Summer with Aircon Temp can sit between 28-32 deg. As my room faces the North i get the Afternoon Sun right in my Window. My current CPU has a Zalman Fan that looks like Jet from a Boeing engine even if fan fails it still stays cool.

Why Overclock when playing MMO's ? Most of the Speed is relied on your connection speed and distance from servers. If i was playing a FPS game then maybe i would do it where you need that frame rate.

The reason behind i want some extra cooling is the room in which the computer will be located gets very warm ,sometimes in Summer with Aircon Temp can sit between 28-32 deg. As my room faces the North i get the Afternoon Sun right in my Window. My current CPU has a Zalman Fan that looks like Jet from a Boeing engine even if fan fails it still stays cool.

Why Overclock when playing MMO's ? Most of the Speed is relied on your connection speed and distance from servers. If i was playing a FPS game then maybe i would do it where you need that frame rate.

I can understand wanting the CPU to remain cool even if not being pushed hard, so that is fair enough. Even though they are functional up to temps of around 80-90C it's not ideal :)

I suppose I don't see any negatives to overclocking, even if I was just browsing websites all day, things like speedstep will underclock you automatically unless the power is required, and even at stock settings turbo mode will overclock automatically too, so the power is there if you need it. CPU overclocking will almost certainly improve performance in most games, even MMOs like WoW, even if only by 5-20%. Connection to the server will only effect the delay in you pressing a key and something happening, but how sexy a game looks while you're pressing those keys is CPU/GPU so there are some benefits. It might not be necessary but will help a little with most things like load times and evening out FPS so it is less spikey, and if not now, maybe when the next game comes along. I usually like to find a 100% stable overclock on any system I've owned and stick to it like it's my stock speed. :)

Edited by p0is0n

I suppose I don't see any negatives to overclocking, even if I was just browsing websites all day, things like speedstep will underclock you automatically unless the power is required, and even at stock settings turbo mode will overclock automatically too, so the power is there if you need it. CPU overclocking will almost certainly improve performance in most games, even MMOs like WoW, even if only by 5-20%. Connection to the server will only effect the delay in you pressing a key and something happening, but how sexy a game looks while you're pressing those keys is CPU/GPU so there are some benefits. It might not be necessary but will help a little with most things like load times and evening out FPS so it is less spikey, and if not now, maybe when the next game comes along. I usually like to find a 100% stable overclock on any system I've owned and stick to it like it's my stock speed. :)

I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree, I don't think CPU has much to do with WoW at all, I say this because I've used WoW to bench my hardware all the time, and i've even used an i3, with little or not comparable difference to FPS or latency with an i7... For reference I used an i3 -2100 and an i7-2600k (non-overclocked for quick testing).

Codecreeper Poison is right about the not needing a HSF, just buy the non K version of whatever chip you want since the stock cooler is fine now we have quad cores that only run at about 77-95w TDP. Edited by nesquick

I forgot to ask about one component in the build. A Optical Drive ,should i buy a Bluray or just a normal DVD/RW Burner or maybe both.

Codecreeper Poison is right about the not needing a HSF, just buy the non K version of whatever chip you want since the stock cooler is fine now we have quad cores that only run at about 77-95w TDP.

Again my room gets very hot in the summers even with aircon turned on. May be a extra Case fan would help too.

With Monitors in respect to HDMI and DVI , why cannot regular monitors do 1980*1080 and get the same clarity.

I'd still be buying the initial system I posted for a WoW rig :P

Just change the HD7950 for a GTX 670 if you prefer Nvidia :)

I am looking at a Gainward GTX 670 type AusPC have limited stock of this model.

Again my room gets very hot in the summers even with aircon turned on. May be a extra Case fan would help too.

Why not, they're like <$10 each.

I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree, I don't think CPU has much to do with WoW at all, I say this because I've used WoW to bench my hardware all the time, and i've even used an i3, with little or not comparable difference to FPS or latency with an i7... For reference I used an i3 -2100 and an i7-2600k (non-overclocked for quick testing).

thats due to wow being badly threaded not due to it being easy on the cpu the 2100 performs very close to a 2600k in games that only use 1-2 threads

but its such an old game that it will run fine on most things although a number of people i know that play that abomination say that in town with a heap of people it can make the fps dip well below 60 due to the cpu

not sure if the op is someone with the all to common misconception that improving pc cooling will make the room cooler

Edited by Dasa

thats due to wow being badly threaded not due to it being easy on the cpu the 2100 performs very close to a 2600k in games that only use 1-2 threads

but its such an old game that it will run fine on most things although a number of people i know that play that abomination say that in town with a heap of people it can make the fps dip well below 60 due to the cpu

not sure if the op is someone with the all to common misconception that improving pc cooling will make the room cooler

Yeah, i doubt they're gonna redesign the engine though :P

Yeah, i doubt they're gonna redesign the engine though :P

never said they would at least till they make a replacement

but in cpu demanding games that are badly threaded overclocking helps where extra cores doesnt

and your point is?

the difference between a 25c room and 32c room will not worry your cpu cooler enough to warrant needing a $100 aftermarket job, do you think Intel engineers would design, build and distribute something that doesn't work?

agreed most good quality pc gear is made to work with a 50c case temp