Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Need some advice on buying a new setup

Optically, I'd just bite the bullet and get a Blu-ray drive. That way, you're future-proofed if needed to be.

Agreed, Blu Ray combos are cheap (around $60) and do both Dvd/RW and play blu rays, with the copywrite protection on blu rays, i doubt you'd need a burner.

Was looking at my Computer and wondering what difference is their between a CM690 and CM690 MK2 . And also could i re-use my old Gigabyte Odin 800w Modular PSU .

The Next problem would be Video cards not sure what length could fit in it. I still prefer Nvidia as my main option ,i know you guys love ATI but i am not a big fan of ATI.

Trying to save some money to get a Decent Monitor. Also i found a brand new Sony Bluray player in my cupboard never opened still has shipping bubble wrap on it. Just goes to show how busy i am playing MMO's.

dont love amd\ati i just love the value of there current gpu faster\cheaper than nvidia at the moment

if you want to pay more for a slower product then by all means go for it

better if something goes wrong that you come back disappointed in your choice rather than bitching about how we talked you into a product that failed

dont love amd\ati i just love the value of there current gpu faster\cheaper than nvidia at the moment

if you want to pay more for a slower product then by all means go for it

better if something goes wrong that you come back disappointed in your choice rather than bitching about how we talked you into a product that failed

I understand your issue ,but i have always been with Nvidia. When i tried a ATI all i got was problems with bars and such across my screen it took me ages to even get a refund ,then i went back to a Nvidia. So i have my legitimate reasons why i stay with Nvidia .

Guest xyzzy frobozz

This is just my 20c worth, but I personally cannot believe that people these days would build a PC without an SSD for the OS at least. You can pick one up for less than $100 and it is the single best part you can buy in terms of system speed. They're more reliable than mechanical drives by virtue of their having no moving parts.

Not having one is like buying a car no air-conditioning because you heard it breaks down sometimes....

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

This is just my 20c worth, but I personally cannot believe that people these days would build a PC without an SSD for the OS at least. You can pick one up for less than $100 and it is the single best part you can buy in terms of system speed. They're more reliable than mechanical drives by virtue of their having no moving parts.

Not having one is like buying a car no air-conditioning because you heard it breaks down sometimes....

Just saw those pics of your rig damn that looks nice. I am still more confused now than what i was before over the ATI vs Nvidia card issue.

It seems that i might have to stick with my old my 3 year old comp with a q6600 in it and my piddly GTX 260 for a while yet.

gtx660 non ti is a good value card at $229 if you want to go that way its a good choice not that much slower than the 660ti but $100 cheaper should make a nice upgrade from the 260

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Just saw those pics of your rig damn that looks nice. I am still more confused now than what i was before over the ATI vs Nvidia card issue.

It seems that i might have to stick with my old my 3 year old comp with a q6600 in it and my piddly GTX 260 for a while yet.

Thanks!

My 20c on NVidia vs AMD (it's AMD now, lol)

I bought the GTX 680 because it runs cooler than the equivalent AMD card. I play in a non-air conditioned room and, rather than a consideration of overclocking, it's a consideration of my comfort - 80 odd degrees of XFire blowing out the back of your pC really heats up the room on a hot day.

That said, I do think that AMD cards generally represent great value. It's your call.

I miss the days of the 5870, which, while slower than the GTX460 by a hairs breadth, were by far the superior card once power and heat were brought into the equation. Unfortunately I think roles have reversed this time 'round.