Sign in to follow this  
fajw

MSI motherboards

What sort of experience have you had with MSI motherboards?

The very first Socket A nforce motherboard, with Geforce 2 inbuilt graphics and coupled with an Athlon XP 1600. For me, that motherboard was the beezkneez. No other motherboard ever brought me such happiness as this one did :P

Was the first and last board I've owned, created by MSI.

Been using a z68a-gd80-g3 for a while now. no complaints, like it better than the z68 gigabyte i had before.

anything specific you want to know? you start threads like this all the time, you need to put more information in the OP...

Edited by p0is0n

Owned a 890FX (not sure exact model number, think it ended in 70 ? ) had 4 PCI-16x slots.

Was a great motherboard, sold it off with my 955 BE when I did my last downgrade.

EDIT : MSI 890FXA-GD70

Edited by Devilsmurf

My experience comes from retail machines, such as HP e.t.c. I think I'm also currently using one in one of my machines (built from spare parts) and they go all right, have had some SATA Controllers fail in the retail machines though. My spare parts machine runs kind of like a server, and is on all the time EDIT: for about 2-3 years now.

BIOS has ALWAYS been slow to post though.

Edited by ilyria109

True that, one thing I probably shoudl have mentioned. I swear the BIOS/POST/everything before Windows starts booting takes longer than Windows itself to boot.

Had an MSI P55-GD65 for almost three years, was a fantastic, well built, well though out board with a clever BIOS. It was also a reasonable price due to not having extraneous things like ten SATA ports. +1 to MSI

Did you have any follow up questions.. what was the point of this thread?

am thinking about it - only heard very good things about their current boards

I'm seriously over Gigabytes rubbish.

Asus have gone to the dogs, imho

my last few boards have been Asrock! (with great results)

methinks, for my next build it'll either be an MSI, or another Asrock.

Yeah... ASUS's budget brand ASRock is far better in reliability I've found than ASUS. Probably because their boards are simple, so less can go wrong.

Yeah... ASUS's budget brand ASRock is far better in reliability I've found than ASUS. Probably because their boards are simple, so less can go wrong.

the worst I've found are Gigabyte

Asrock shit all over them

and what about their new Z77 OC board? check it out, an 8 layer motherboard!!! if I was building a PC now.......

and what about their new Z77 OC board? check it out, an 8 layer motherboard!!! if I was building a PC now.......

To be honest i've found the complete opposite, Gigabyte has always had the strongest build quality in my experience, but I've seen a lot of faulty ASRocks, I will admit, that some of those faulties have been due to a short circuit of a poorly secured motherboard.

They were hardly faulty if they were damaged after taking them out of the box.

But I also thought Gigabyte were up there with the bet quality. I haven't worked with any brands for a few years now so I'm out of the loop. Intel all the way!!

Have had problems with brand new gigabyte boards failing. When building PC's in the shop. High-end boards too. Replacements also shat themselves. And Gigabytes are a bit finicky about getting hit with the air compressor.

I generally stay away from them.