Sign in to follow this  
TheSingularity

Android or Windows Phone 7/8?!?

Hey guys,

I don't often venture into here. Coming up is Christmas but also at the same time the contracts for my sisters and my own phone run out. I'm using some of my Christmas money this year to get a better phone well hopefully the 'best'.

Now I had been set on a Samsung Galaxy S3 which I thought was the best currently but I've been keeping up to date thanks to PC & Tech Authority's newsletter. Windows Phone 8 is almost here though and the what looks to be LG Google Nexus and multiple others are about to be realised.

After seeing Windows 8 I got curious as to whether that would be a better idea as I use my computer a lot which runs Windows 7. So I thought integration of the two devices might top Android alone with that one advantage. Otherwise I believe Android wins in the app store which is one of the most important areas, among other things. I've heard great things about the Nokia Lumia 800 though and I suspect a new Nokia will be released with Windows Phone 8. So now my thoughts are up in the air as I haven't been able to find an up to date comparison review of the two Oses.

So I'm asking the brilliant Atomic forums what should I do?

Christmas is still quite a while away. Ask again then?

Personally I'd get the Nexus 4. It's pretty much an LG Optimus G with vanilla Android 4.2.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Personally I'd get the Nexus 4. It's pretty much an LG Optimus G with vanilla Android 4.2.

Just asking pre-emptively as at one point it was brought up that we might get a 4-pack of Samsung Galaxy S3s as my parents got new phones last month and we were going to see if we could upgrade as this deal was only discovered afterwards. I only told them I wanted a Samsung Galaxy S3 as I understood at the time it was the best. My parents have the HTC Sensation XL which is there first smartphones. My current and first phone ever is a LG GT540 Optimus rather horrible thing but it does the job and I have adapted to use it, currently typing this reply with it and typed the opening post with it.

Yeah just waiting for the LGs release hoping it will be before Christmas and the hardware will be beefier then the SGS3.

The S3 is good, but personally I'm sticking with Nexus devices going forward. Really depends on whether you like TouchWiz or not.

Can't you just put on a different launcher?

Either way, I wish the Galaxy Nexus had all the internals of the S3. The single thing I don't like about the S3 is its body and size.

I've gotten a bit bored with Android lately so might try a Windows 8 phone. I still think Android is "best", but I want a change.

There's rumours going around that at least 4 big manufacturers will release Nexus devices for the holiday season. The Verge posted a potential leak of a Sony nexus device here: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3506146...mor-photos-leak

The other potential Nexus manufacturers are Samsung, Asus, Motorola and HTC, but it's all rumours at the moment.

For the OP: I'd suggest holding out till mid November. By then, the new features of Windows Phone 8 will be revealed, and you'll have reviews that compare HTC and Nokia's offerings to the SG3 and possibly some other Nexus devices.

I couldn't agree more with Cyb3rGlitch with respect to stock android - Touchwiz is a step back in my opinion. It's all superficial features and annoying sound effects that don't actually assist productivity. You can flash a different build that replaces Touchwiz with 'stock' android on an SG3, but often this results in niggling problems with things like bluetooth, the camera or other features (also it can void your warranty, and if you're unlucky, brick your phone).

If windows phone 8 ends up being as quick as WP7 I would get that.

The Nokia and the HTC models look like they will have very similar specs.

Android still feels to slow and clunky to me, even on the GS3...

I'm personally waiting for Jolla to release their MeeGo phones, but they won't be out until next year and the first model won't have a qwerty keyboard...

Naturally, wait and see what is available closer to Christmas as there are some very interesting devices coming up for release.

After using WP7.5 for nearly a year (HTC Trophy, then Lumia 800), any other UI feels kind of clunky and old-fashioned. To be fair I've not used a handset running JB, but IMHO WP7.5 always feels slick - WP8 will continue and extend that.

WP8 is due to launch shortly after Win8 (which itself is due on Oct 26) so no doubt we'll get better comparisons in November. So far WP8 and the accompanying hardware is looking good.

My contract will be up in early 2013, and I'm really not sure what to do. TBH I'm considering just buying a Nokia 808 PureView and going on a BYO plan, unless Voda offers me a truly awesome deal on the Lumia 920.

There's rumours going around that at least 4 big manufacturers will release Nexus devices for the holiday season. The Verge posted a potential leak of a Sony nexus device here: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3506146...mor-photos-leak

The other potential Nexus manufacturers are Samsung, Asus, Motorola and HTC, but it's all rumours at the moment.

For the OP: I'd suggest holding out till mid November. By then, the new features of Windows Phone 8 will be revealed, and you'll have reviews that compare HTC and Nokia's offerings to the SG3 and possibly some other Nexus devices.

I couldn't agree more with Cyb3rGlitch with respect to stock android - Touchwiz is a step back in my opinion. It's all superficial features and annoying sound effects that don't actually assist productivity. You can flash a different build that replaces Touchwiz with 'stock' android on an SG3, but often this results in niggling problems with things like bluetooth, the camera or other features (also it can void your warranty, and if you're unlucky, brick your phone).

Hmm I would say that is the most informative post so far so thanks!

I had no idea that so many other phones had been rumored to be the next Nexus, I believe I had only read about 2 different phones so far that being Motorola as Google has bought Motorola and LG.

Naturally, wait and see what is available closer to Christmas as there are some very interesting devices coming up for release.

After using WP7.5 for nearly a year (HTC Trophy, then Lumia 800), any other UI feels kind of clunky and old-fashioned. To be fair I've not used a handset running JB, but IMHO WP7.5 always feels slick - WP8 will continue and extend that.

WP8 is due to launch shortly after Win8 (which itself is due on Oct 26) so no doubt we'll get better comparisons in November. So far WP8 and the accompanying hardware is looking good.

My contract will be up in early 2013, and I'm really not sure what to do. TBH I'm considering just buying a Nokia 808 PureView and going on a BYO plan, unless Voda offers me a truly awesome deal on the Lumia 920.

Yeah I'm hoping it will wait till something new comes out that tops everything as well seeing what WP8 is like so I can decide which OS to go with and then from there what phone.

What are your thoughts on WP7s market or app store? As that is the only thing holding me back from going Windows basically as I know they haven't been around as long and well it is Microsoft which makes most people weary. Anyway any thoughts on that would be great.

Lack of flash promised flash support, no smart dial or paste to dialler and apps is why I left wp7. In many ways I would go back in a heart beat if the apps support was there. After 2 years using a trophy it was driving me nuts that all the common games that friends and family were playing were only on Android and iOS. After some fiddling and experimenting I've got something that comes close to the same fluidity using an HTC one xl, but you just can't beat wp7.5 for consistent layout and performance that nearly never lags... Ever. If you are prepared to do some fiddling though, android does do a great job of being able to be setup fairly close to how you want it to. Out of the box wp7 is a little easier to get setup and started on.

I'd go for a Windows 8 device if it were me. Main reason just being that I've played around with Android a bit, and would be interested to see where Windows does things better or maybe worse. Plus it' really really nice to look at ;P

The Lumia 920 is being released by the end of the year AFAIK, and the HTC One X+ too, on top of the rumored LG Nexus, the HTC Windows 8 phones, and I'm sure there'll be new Sony phones too. If you're going to settle for a GS3, get the 4G version (Jelly Bean and twice the RAM), otherwise wait a few months, see what else comes out, and wait for price drops on other phones.

Here's a good way to decide. Do you rely on a lot of Google services? Get the next Nexus phone. Do you rely on the Apple's services? Get an iPhone. Do you feel bad for Nokia? Windows Phone.

Re: the WP7 market/app store - I've found it perfectly adequate. There are cross-platform alternatives for popular games such as Wordfeud (I play vs. friends and family who use a mix of WP7 and Android) and WP exclusives such as Crimson Dragon Side Story and Wordament (a predecessor to Zynga's Scramble). Nokia's bundled apps are really very good too.

But that's WP7. WP8 will have access to all of WP7's apps, in addition to MS making it easy to publish Metro apps for Win8, WinRT and WP8 so I expect the app market for WP8 will be thoroughly comprehensive.

What exactly do you want to do, apart from playing specific games? My app needs are fairly modest, but I've not wanted for anything (specific games notwithstanding), there's even an app for paste-to-dialer functionality. One of my favourite apps turns contacts into QR codes for completely platform-agnostic sharing.

Here's a good way to decide. Do you rely on a lot of Google services? Get the next Nexus phone. Do you rely on the Apple's services? Get an iPhone. Do you feel bad for Nokia? Windows Phone.

My sister relies entirly on Google for her calendar - works and syncs perfectly with her Hotmail account including calendar/contacts on her HTC Trophy. Just sayin' :P

(yeah, yeah, WP fanboi and all that).

Edited by thesorehead

Do you feel bad for Nokia? Windows Phone.

I know this was a lighthearted comment, but I think Windows Phone might actually see some traction in this revision. Windows Phone 7 failed for a number of reasons. It was released before principal features were ready (multitasking, copy & paste etc). It was initially annoying to develop for (Sliverlight fail), and had no backwards compatibility with previous Windows phone applications, so consequently had a terrible App store. The launch hardware offerings could not compete with Android or Apple, and in the 2 years that it's been on the market, it still hasn't had a flagship phone that tops the performance or feature lists. The Nokia Lumia 900 was as close as it got, but was overshadowed by the better performing and better supported HTC One X and iPhone 4S, among other things.

Windows Phone 8 has the potential to change that. It's based on a new kernel that allows easy porting of applications designed for Microsofts other platforms, and all now share the same Metro user interface theme. While there is still a long way to go, it makes developing for the Windows app store much more enticing, and also maintains backwards compatibility for the few WP7 apps out there. It finally supports multi-core processors, and the support for high resolution displays has been extended. The browser has been updated to IE10, and while that's not terribly exciting, it's a lot better than IE7.5 based browser in WP7. There's a lot of features that still haven't been released, but the biggest selling point in my opinion is going to be the new hardware. The Nokia Lumina 920 is magnificent. It appears to have a class leading camera (despite the epic marketing fail), the design rivals Apple in terms of elegance and sophistication, and on paper the specs compare well with the very best Android or Apple have to offer.

In addition, Microsoft is about to flesh out their ecosystem. The Surface has the potential to address the biggest flaw/gap in the Apple and Android tablet offering - Content creation. This could revolutionise the student and professional markets, but so much of it depends on the success of Windows 8. It's a massive gamble Microsoft has taken with the Metro theme, but if it succeeds, they will have the strongest ecosystem. ~87% of the PC marketshare with close cross-platform integration, while still maintaining open and flexible standards that Apple receives such criticism over. Google might launch an OS eventually, but until then, they're not going to be able to compete with Microsoft and Apple in terms of integration.

Whatever the outcome, it's going to be an exciting year for technology and software. It's arguably been 25 years since we've seen this level of competition and innovation, and it's likely that what happens in the next 5 years will dictate the next few decades.

Contract or outright? You might have to wait a little to get some new phones on a local contract without bringing your own handset.

What do you use your phone for?

Thanks for the replies guys I'm wavering further towards Windows Phone 8. Just need to wait and see if the Microsoft Surface phone is real and whether it will be available in time.

Contract or outright? You might have to wait a little to get some new phones on a local contract without bringing your own handset.

What do you use your phone for?

Contract.

I use my phone for basic things at the moment as to the lack of power and screen space. Although I do as much as I can with it and wish to do far more, games would finally be a real option, although only from the free section as I do not have the money for paid-for apps. I use the browser a lot, for things such as keeping up to date here, I also use gmail a lot on it although hotmail is my primary email account, the gmail account maybe dumped if I went Windows Phone 8 or vice versa. I also use it as a music player quite a bit. There are many things I just wish to try though that I have read about that you can do with current gen smart phones which I've never been able to do so...

Unless you list specific games, it's hard to suggest which'd be better from a hardware or ecosystem PoV.

Pretty much any phone, tho', will handle playing music and browsing the web and email. In fact I doubt there's any reason why you'd only use gmail on an Android and hotmail/outlook/etc on a WP.

You're probably going to be better off waiting until, say, Easter, if you're seriously considering a WP8. It'll give you a chance to see what software is released for it.