Sign in to follow this  
ROUBOS

PC halts on boot, safe mode screen, and does not do anything after selection

Hi people,

I was called to a friend's house today to check out on his PC.

The problem is that on boot it opens up the option to load Windows on Safe mode , Normal mode, Safe with network , command prompt.. you know the one.

When you make a selection and hit enter, it just halts there. Does nothing.

I've never come across this kind of problem before, so i opened up his case, took out the RAM, tried the sims one at a time.. nothing

PC full of dust so cleaned it out.

Then in the BIOS all ok.. even restored default BIOS settings.

The problem remains the same. Boot the PC, get to that screen, make a selection (so matter whick one), hit enter and it halts.

I notices during the boot screen, that is showed the CPU twice and with a '*" (without the quotes) next to one of the listings

That seemed odd.

Any ideas?

Try everything on the list on thisthis website and call me in the morning. I wouldnt try the System Recovery thing, its kinda borked imo. But apart from that, everything else from 2 on the list onwards should help you. I cant really say what the problem specifically is but Id hazard a guess that its file corruption related. Maybe his HDD is going to die or he stuffed up his computer by installing crap on it. Who knows...but for whatever the reason, its happen. So just try those things and let us know whats happened.

Oh, btw, anyone who owns a computer and lets its get to the state of caked dust you elaborated should start to learn how to use one. Its like owning a car without ever cleaning or taking care of it.

Edited by strifus

Oh, btw, anyone who owns a computer and lets its get to the state of caked dust you elaborated should start to learn how to use one. Its like owning a car without ever cleaning or taking care of it.

its a bit much to expect a novice user to be comfortable cleaning out their computer case, dontcha think?

such people are (rightfully so) scared they may damage components...best to leave it to a trusted techy friend to do, or get a case that isnt an antec nine hundred (or similar :p)

Im sorry, I cant agree with that. All of us here started as novices. It doesnt take much to ask a question here and there, especially now in the age of information. Its quite similar to again, owning a car. Are you going to drive the thing till it borks itself because you didnt add engine oil to it saying that, "Im only a novice, I dont know how to do something like that." That isnt going to fly really.

Being the "techie friend" for most of my friends, it is kinda irritating when they call you, mainly, to ask you about computer related problems. Should I have charged them the going rate for such service, I would be able to quit my job and just service their computers. Of course I cant do that with my mates so sadly I am still gainly employed.

To conclude, xyron, is that I was once a novice, many many years ago. Ive since gain much experience from trial and error and of course from the internet at places such as the Atomic Forums. The very fact that we have so many people out there who arent going out of their way to use such makes forums such as these pointless. Ive even taught my grandmother how to care for her computer and shes 84 now. So, all it takes is a bit of daring and learning, and asking questions is key.

Sorry for the late reply people.. been away...

thanks strifus for the link. I fixed the problem using the FIXMBR command. Looks like the boot-loader was corrupt for some reason. Well I was told that the system restarted a few times due to power failure. He does not have a UPS.

Anyway thank you all for your replies. The topic turned out more interesting than I thought but this is not the right forum section for such a discussion (it can get to a long discussion :) )

Thanks again all

Appreciate it...

Atomic has the best community :)