Sign in to follow this  
Moph

Gigabit NAS suggestions

I run an engineering consultancy from a home, and my data is my business. Currently my redundancy / backup strategy is:

- 2x 2TB business data drives in RAID 1 (drive failure protection)

- nightly versioned backup to NAS/media PC in lounge (file corruption protection; also protects against critical failure of both RAID 1 workstation drives due to a PSU fault for example)

- weekly versioned backup to 2x bare external drives stored respectively in my work vehicle and in a fire resistant data safe in the shed (protection against fire and theft)

It would take a very severe event for me to lose more than 1 week of data ... I can't imagine an event where the drives in my work vehicle, the office, the lounge and the detached shed are all destroyed and yet I survive, and it's highly improbable that someone will steal all four sets of drives. So I'm okay on that front.

I'm not well protected against theft from a day to day perspective though ... if my workstation and NAS/media PC were both stolen on a Thursday for example, I'd lose 4 days data. I could backup to external drive nightly but that becomes a real time imposition. So what I'm thinking of doing is hiding a NAS box in my ceiling space, connecting it to the gigabit LAN via wired cable, and then using SyncToy or something similar to update the NAS every time I write something to the workstation data drive. Can this be done, and if so any recommendations for a reliable NAS box that has both gigabit LAN and a fan for cooling?

--

TL:DR Recommend me a reliable NAS box with fan cooling that can be hidden in my ceiling space, connected to my PC via wired gigabit LAN, and then kept continuously up to date with my business drives via SyncToy or something similar.

What's your average daily data diff? Is the data sensitive?

I'd seriously consider an off-prem service like Crashplan - there's many others though.

I'd be concerned with heat and dust running a computer in the ceiling.

What's your average daily data diff? Is the data sensitive?

I'd seriously consider an off-prem service like Crashplan - there's many others though.

I'd be concerned with heat and dust running a computer in the ceiling.

Data is somewhat sensitive - photos inside people's homes; client details (not banking but including insurance policy numbers and the like); sometimes access details / entry codes etc.

Not keen on cloud backup because my data differential can be up to 2GB per day (mostly JPEGs so reasonably incompressible). And while I have 16mbps+ down, I only get 360kbps'ish up.

I agree re heat and dust. I've decided something like a Synology ds212j installed in the pantry (other side of the office wall) would probably be better as that's always quite cool and is an unlikely target for thieves anyway. Found a program called MirrorFolder that looks to have the feature I'm after - automatic synchronisation to a mapped drive or shared network folder.

http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/features.php

Yeah the Synology gear does look good features and rep wise, though build quality is apparently fairly she'll-be-right. Had a rethink though and reckon I'd be as well off with a WD 2TB Passport drive (2.5" USB 3) fixed to the rear side of my desk. It has quite deep panels on the rear for strength, and I could hide it up there with double sided tape no worries. With all the USB cables that I have attached to the back of the PC it's highly unlikely that a thief would trace each individual cable and find it, especially if I orient the drive so that the cable pulls free if tugged.

Comes with active mirroring software too so would do exactly what I want it to, without the hassle of running cables to an adjoining room. A fairly simple solution but combined with my other backups I'd be pretty happy with the level of protection provided.

Okay ... bought a 2TB WD Passport from JB Hifi for $199. Nice little unit. Only complaint is the length of the USB3 cable which is about 40cm, but I guess that's pretty normal for a compact travel drive.

The WD backup software is a waste of time though. It stores everything in its own format and only lets you access/recover it via application tabs like 'Movies', 'Documents' and 'Pictures'. Total waste of time when I want to recover by project folder which may contain movies, documents AND pictures.

Am running MirrorFolder instead on its 30 day free trial period and so far it appears to be a top notch program. Has options for real-time RAID 1 style backup which will record changes to open files (databases and the like) or real-time synchronisation which updates as soon as a file change is saved to disk. I'm running the real-time sync option as I don't have databases, and it provides a bit of protection against file corruption should the system crash. Looks good though at the moment.

EDIT: Been keeping an eye on the backup drive today, and MirrorFolder is performing flawlessly. Any file changes on the primary drive are reflected immediately on the backup drive, and at USB3 speeds it keeps up pretty darn well even with large file transfers. It's completely invisible when running as well (except for an optional taskbar icon). Really happy with it.

Edited by Moph