smadge1

ipad mini

what are people's thought on ipad mini rumours?

Personally, the smaller device appeals to me. It might be the only apple device I'd consider owning (along with the AppleTV)

Steve Jobs and Apple were so dead-set against the smaller form factor, but other companies seem to be doing well in the 7-inch space.

I'd like one with 3G/4G, but I realise that they may have to omit cellular connectivity to get into the lower price point (like the Nexus 7)

I bought a Google Nexus 7.

While it's not actually a bad device - after some time growing on me - I do prefer the iPad's size. Mainly because I use it to stream TV to the kitchen, and that bit of extra screen real estate makes a big difference.

But as a tablet, not just a media extender, I think the smaller size is actually better.

The only issue with smaller size is smaller keyboard. And we all know how I feel about the native Android keyboard...installing Swift Key has fixed that though.

All in all, horses for courses.

Depends what you want to do with it.

As for connectivity. I had issue to begin with regarding the lack of a SIM slot for the Nexus. But I always have my phone with me so I just use that as a hotspot. So no problem there.

what are people's thought on ipad mini rumours?

Personally, the smaller device appeals to me. It might be the only apple device I'd consider owning (along with the AppleTV)

Steve Jobs and Apple were so dead-set against the smaller form factor, but other companies seem to be doing well in the 7-inch space.

I'd like one with 3G/4G, but I realise that they may have to omit cellular connectivity to get into the lower price point (like the Nexus 7)

7.85" 4:3 screen, 50% more area than 7" 16:9 tablets. 1024 x 768, with a 163ppi (same as original iphone). IGZO display, resulting in 'all-day' or better battery life, a varient of the 32nm A5 processor, both LTE and Wifi options, lightning connector, and a choice of black anodised or natural aluminium back.

That much is all fairly well established by the rumours going around, but it's difficult to be certain when it comes to Apple. The biggest point of contention is the price. In my opinion $329AUD for the 16GB Wifi version would be ideal, and would compete well with $319AUD Nexus 7 in Australia, but that price position is already occupied by the new iPod Touch. It wouldn't be very Apple like to have both devices competing against each other. As a result, I think they'll bump the entry cost to $349USD / $379AUD, in the hopes that customers will pay more for the build quality and superior app store / ecosystem - and they're probably right.

Looks like the 10" version might be getting an update as well base on part number leaks. This will likely break down into black/white, Wifi/LTE and 16/32/64GB versions for both the Mini and the 10".

A black anodised 32GB version with LTE would be rather awesome, but only if the price is reasonable.

Edited by Akamatsu

Announcement was this morning.

http://www.apple.com/au/ipad-mini/overview/

Price point makes it interesting although still more expensive here than in the US which kind of sucks.

I have been thinking of getting an iPad for the family has they have started to steal mine. This might be the model I go for. Would make it easier on trips too when the kids are watching movies in the back seat. One can have the mini and the other can use the Galaxy tab 7.7.

The Australia Tax™ is pretty unreasonable this time round. It's the highest premium of any Apple product when compared to the US prices in terms of percentage, and I have a feeling it's driven by a lack of competitiveness in the 7" space. We pay a $70 premium for the Nexus 7, so Apple can get away with a higher price point.

yeah, tough competition with the Nexus 7, but it will still suit the Apple crowd.

I'm thinking of just getting a base model version, just for kicks.

Interesting post on the iPad Mini, basically saying it is double the price of any of its 7" rivals. The post claims the iPad mini will sell due to emotional attachement to Apple products. I wouldnt be surprised if this might be the case. Or maybe the dual cameras might be what sells the iPad Mini in the end?

There is no iPad3 with LTE that works in Australia...

the new new ipad has compatible LTE.

There is no iPad3 with LTE that works in Australia...

the new new ipad has compatible LTE.

Yup - the 4G LTE runs at a different frequency on the new iPad. This has been rectified in the iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini, they are now 4G LTE Australia compatible.

It's nice that they didn't cut features - like dual cameras - to try and hit a low pricepoint ('sup, Google). Kind of weird that it has a comparatively low resolution.

The real kicker is you can't use one as an actual phone. Stupid people :

It's nice that they didn't cut features - like dual cameras - to try and hit a low pricepoint ('sup, Google). Kind of weird that it has a comparatively low resolution.

The real kicker is you can't use one as an actual phone. Stupid people :

I think dual cameras was the least of users issue with the N7. You have to be socially awkward to hold up a tablet to take pictures if you own a smartphone (which most tablet users do).

I wish Google created an N7 with a better display/digitizer. That's the main drawback IMO. Sure it's sharp, but its dull and ghosts. Also, the Tegra SoC is sooooo overrated. I wish OEMs would stop listening to Nvidia's bullshit marketing. They suck, period.

Mine came today. The dip in resolution from the iPad3's retina display to this is noticeable - mostly with text. That said, I still find it renders text better than my Galaxy tab 7.7 - a bit of light reading and I adjusted fine whereas even with repeated attempts I couldn't do it with the tab.

Weight is great. Speed is fine. I'd seriously consider this over the full size iPad and most definitely over the galaxy.

Technically speaking, it's a iPad (2) Mini

But it has the stereo speakers, and can run Siri

I'm assuming that by next year, they will have figured out how to squeeze a faster CPU and a smaller Retina display into the smaller package.

I was intending to by a 16GB model, but after running out of space on my work 16GB iPad2, I feel I might need the 32GB model, but is it worth the extra $100??

Can't jam an SD card into it...