Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

Samsung, the masochistic tech company?

Haha! Apart from the fact it says "SAMSUNG" on it...it's looks almost identical to a mac book.

i see some very big differences, but still, i think they just made a miniature version of their S-Series Laptops. and made more of an "Ultrabook" reference with the colour.

Although most small, slim laptop do look similar, I guess it leave much for innovation at that size.

Pretty sure though there isn't the same kind stupid patents in the laptop space as there is in the phone space.

Perhaps, but this is Apple V Samsung we are talking about here....anything goes!

i see some very big differences...

Wait, what? Besides the hinge mechanism, what other big differences are there?

i see some very big differences...

Wait, what? Besides the hinge mechanism, what other big differences are there?

Besides the hinge? the lid bevel, the shape on the front under the touchpad, i'm pretty sure the air is a bit more "bubbly" more "rounder" maybe, as opposed to the samsungs more sharper look. To be honest, i think the macbook looks a lot better, even the shaping underneath, giving it more of an aerodynamic look (for throwing maybe? =\ ) gives it that bit more class, to be honest, the samsung (in this instance anyway) is aesthetically boring, especially in comparison with that white macbook seen above.

Besides the hinge? the lid bevel, the shape on the front under the touchpad, i'm pretty sure the air is a bit more "bubbly" more "rounder" maybe, as opposed to the samsungs more sharper look. To be honest, i think the macbook looks a lot better, even the shaping underneath, giving it more of an aerodynamic look (for throwing maybe? =\ ) gives it that bit more class, to be honest, the samsung (in this instance anyway) is aesthetically boring, especially in comparison with that white macbook seen above.

I agree with what you've mentioned, but would consider those elements 'subtle' as opposed to 'very big'. You have to admit, the similarities are striking. Very big would have been this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Which was the original Samsung Chrome book. It looked better than the new version in my opinion.

But you have to admit, all netbooks look very similar, and have very striking similarities. For example :

Posted Image

Everything is quite similar on the model i linked, shape wise, not thinkness, they've refined that, the only major difference besides size refinement is the crome edge, which is patented by apple im pretty sure? (btw that's a hp)

Oh shit, they made a laptop that looks like a, GASP, laptop!

If Apple was so worried about people copying them they would stop making nondescript designs that consist of a single colour and rounded edges.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/18/google-...ebook-hands-on/

Apparently the laptop department didn't get the memo from the phone department, that listening to orders to blatantly copy Apple's products will get you sued.

Well once round 2 of the court case get under Apple are in trouble, the ruling of the first case, is thought to be incorrect and illegal, so SamSung will have the last laugh...

Apple are shite,expensive and a fad, even as we speek Android has a much larger share of the mobile market, compared to iphones/iOS and that share is growing everyday.

"you have an Apple product......Wadup Granpa!"

Apple are shite,expensive and a fad, even as we speek Android has a much larger share of the mobile market, compared to iphones/iOS and that share is growing everyday.

Ah, that old gem.

Do yourself a favour, find sales figures broken down by market segment.

There are more Android phones in the wild than iPhones, correct. Most of those Android phones are shitty $89 burner phones running Froyo.

To put it in terms you might get: There are more Toyota Camrys sold than BMW sedans, yes, but how many $30,000 sedans do BMW offer?

"Overpriced expensive shit" is what poors say because they can't afford nice things. kthxbai.

Edited by SquallStrife

Everything is quite similar on the model i linked, shape wise, not thinkness, they've refined that, the only major difference besides size refinement is the crome edge, which is patented by apple im pretty sure? (btw that's a hp)

To be honest, you're confusing me a little bit. I don't quite understand what similarities you're seeing in the image posted above, compared to what Samsung has just released. All Ultrabooks and netbooks have similar physical features, but it's the details that give away that this design was influenced by Apple's offerings.

Lets take the colour scheme as an initial example. Apple laptops are silver as a result of the material they're made out of. This doesn't imply that Apple owns the colour silver, there were plenty of other silver laptops around before the original iBook came out, but they were the first to match it with a black chiclet style keyboard when they released the unibody Macbook. This isn't necessarily a logical colour combination, there's nothing objectively better about having a silver body with black keys, it's a style that Apple came up with. Given the plastic body, Samsung could have just as easily used any other colour combination.

Second, let's look at the finer details of the keyboard. Apple wasn't the first to do a chiclet style keyboard, it was Sony for laptops, but the concept comes from a 1980s Sinclair PC. However, since their introduction in the 2005 Macbook, they've had a very particular style that hasn't changed much with respect to key sizes and arrangement. Take for example the arrow keys:

Posted Image

Notice that there's blank space either side of the up arrow, also notice the rounded edge between the up and down arrows. Now, there's have a look at the same area on the new Samsung:

Posted Image

Same blank space, same filleted edge. There are some differences in the radius of the fillet between the up and down arrows, and with the rounded edges of the keys. The font and symbol detail are also different, but it's hard to believe that Samsung arrived at these same design decisions without any influence from Apple's products.

Finally, let's look at the trackpad and the groove used to open the screen:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not really the trackpad that gives it away, although the lack of markings for left and right buttons is a deviation from their Series 9 design, it's the shape of the groove. It's slightly longer than what appears on the MacBooks, but the ends are unmistakable. This is not an objective design decision. It's not a case where this shape works best, and is therefore the logical conclusion. On the Macbook, the rounded corner matches the radius of the round trackpad edges. It's a design decision that maintains symmetry, but results in a sharp edges that many have complained about. In my quick search, I couldn't find any other ultrabooks that used a similar shape. It's difficult to explain how this could happen without the idea that Samsung has copied.

So why has Samsung copied, and is it really a big deal? I'd argue they've copied because Apple has set the current fashion trend in laptops. Consumers like the style of Apple's laptops, some of them may even have chosen Apple's products on style alone, and this is a market that Samsung would like to tap into. It's actually very difficult to set a fashion trend, be it with clothes or technology, so it's a safer strategy to copy than to come up with something new. I personally don't think it's a big deal, but I do think it reflects poorly on Samsung. By copying, they're not innovating, and it implies a certain level of subservience to Apple.

Edited by Akamatsu

Ah, that old gem.

Do yourself a favour, find sales figures broken down by market segment.

There are more Android phones in the wild than iPhones, correct. Most of those Android phones are shitty $89 burner phones running Froyo.

To put it in terms you might get: There are more Toyota Camrys sold than BMW sedans, yes, but how many $30,000 sedans do BMW offer?

"Overpriced expensive shit" is what poors say because they can't afford nice things. kthxbai.

What a pointless statement

As an operating system, Android has a larger market share than iOS. It is that simple.

It doesn't matter how much the handset costs.

I guess this should make people who only buy an Apple for the larger trackpad happy <.>

It doesn't matter how much the handset costs.

It does. Here's why.

Apple's market for iPhones isn't the entire smartphone market. They're only interested in the high-end, alongside the likes of HTC One X and Galaxy S3.

And in that segment of the market, iPhone consistently outsells its competitors. It was only in the months leading up to the iPhone 5 announcement that Galaxy S3 sales really overtook iPhone 4S sales by a decent amount.

Apple doesn't make a $89 burner handset, so a Samsung/Huawei/LG phone sold at that price isn't necessarily a lost/missed iPhone sale. Make sense?

So, while the statement "There are more Android handsets than iOS handsets" is itself true, it's only half of the picture.

"There are more Android handsets than iOS handsets" is itself true.

I don't know if you are arguing for the sake of arguing, but whatevs...

"There are more Android handsets than iOS handsets" is itself true.

I don't know if you are arguing for the sake of arguing, but whatevs...

I don't know if you are being deliberately dense, but whatevs...

Will the track pad be any good though?

Probably not. Who cares about that though. Apple bad/ marketing/ sheep/ baaaaah/ grrrr/ Android/ rounded corners. That's where the argument is at. Fuck having something nice to work on or having an opinion based on actual daily use and consumption of a device.

Ok - seriously. It's an interesting point about the trackpad.

New contract I am involved with - one of the owners was provided an ASUS zenbook about a month before I started. Weight, size and the fact that she was coming off a Windows notebook was the decision for it. It's been back twice under warranty but that wasn't the reason she was unhappy with it - it was the trackpad (and to a lesser degree an occasional skipping keyboard although that may have been due to the fucking trackpad). I did pretty much everything there was to do to rectify it but in the end she opted for an external mouse out of frustration.

Someone had been in her ear about an Air (not me - I was trying to get her $1700 investment to work the way she wanted it to). I suggested we go to the Chadstone Apple store to play with one (my 15" MBP was too big so she couldn't get her head around the same trackpad on a smaller laptop). The trackpad and keyboard sold her on it and she hasn't been this happy (her words) with a laptop in a long time. She couldn't give a shit about how it "looks", it's about getting her work done and then getting off the thing without the frustration she has had so far.

I honestly believe every hater here either has never worked with Apple products or have had a minor inconvenience with one and blows it so far out of proportion that they justify their unnecessary hatred for the company, their products and their customers. My current contract has me supporting a 60 site national network with around 250 Windows PCs and a small mix of Macs. Every time someone has pushed for the inclusion of a Mac, I have fought it if it wasn't for the right reasons. I have bought more PCs since being here than Macs because it makes sense, not because of looks. The last laptop purchase was for two HPs and the one prior to that was a Lenovo X220 for one of the guys who is constantly flying around the country. Not everyone who loves working on their Apple products is a sheep or a zealot.

Samsung are copying every design aesthetic from Apple's playbook to try and capture that market. The end result is an inferior product that looks like it should work better but it doesn't. Maybe they are better off making a better product themselves and getting their own look and feel. It would certainly make my life easier as I don't have to fend off the people asking for this knock off crap and then complain when it doesn't work as well as they thought it would.

I quite like Apple products. But I've never been a fan of the trackpad/touchpad/maxipad...whatever you want to call it, on any laptop. I'll take a mouse any day.

Having said that though, what Apple are good at is blurring the line between phone, tablet and laptop. The iPad is just one big trackpad...and I'm getting used to that. So perhaps when I get my MBA I won't find it as annoying as I did previously.

Actually, probably not. I do a lot of fiddly work with Viso etc...anyone use Visio or similar and enjoy using a trackpad at the same time?