Sign in to follow this  
fajw

screen resolution

Is there any point to increasing screen resolution? If so, perhaps the next big thing in screen resolution will be 8,294,400 pixels, 16:9. This would make 1080P and 720P scale perfectly to full screen but it's such a huge increase I wonder if there is any point. Could we notice the difference? If we could perhaps we would be too close to the screen and not able to see it all.

(8,294,400 pixels, 16:9 being 3840 x 2160; 1080P being 1920 x 1080, progressive; 720P being 1280 x 720, progressive.)

Do you mean in TVs? I don't really see much point if screen sizes remain the same. The eye just can't perceive much difference aat your typical TV viewing distance with TVs of current sizes. Maybe when TVs are much bigger 1080p will be not enough.

It's worth going higher res on tablets/phones though IMO, since they're usually right in your face and you can quite easily tell the difference with higher PPIs.

"Next big thing"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

?

It's already happening...(I think I must be missing your point??)

I was ignorant of the fact it is already happening.

Actually, I must say that I also wonder how far we go with resolutions...I mean, personally, I loves me some higher resolutions, but for the average consumer, do we really need them? Especially as it, obviously, keeps us all on a cycle of 'needing' new hardware for both playing and recording (and conversion for existing material)...

Movies is not the only thing we use PC's for you know, right?

Just moving from 1680x1050 to 2560x1440 made a huge difference to me, so much more usable space.

Movies is not the only thing we use PC's for you know, right?

Just moving from 1680x1050 to 2560x1440 made a huge difference to me, so much more usable space.

Oh, I basically agree...of course it depends on what panel you have -monitor or TV- and what you want to do with it...

...I imagine gaming at such a native res would be somewhat hardware intensive though...

Edit

*Just to be clear- I'm not now saying gaming is all one can do, either...*

Edited by stuub27

If you want big res, get an old CRT.. they have been able to far exceed other screen types for a long time. I currently don't go over 2048x1536..at 22"? or so its about the point where its on the edge..I wouldn't lower it but i wouldn't raise it or it would be too uncomfortable to look at, you need a bigger screen.

The real advantage is the color is much better then any of my lcd or plasma screens.. even led backlit screens. Keep in mind that it becomes really intense on the graphic card.. my 580 will drop almost half the frames from running a normal 1920x1080 screen. You don't need anti aliasing so you get a much sharper image in games. Be ready for the huge size and huge weight, suprized me that a more few inches = twice the weight..not really worth the effort if you need to hunt a good quality screen down. CRT's also have alot of downsides..I'm sure you know. Whilst tv res is really subpar for the size, they are designed to be viewed from larger distances..basically the design of a 50" plasma is to be viewed from far away enough to only really be a 26" screen - but who actually does this, it would defeat the point of buying a big screen. Big res = big dollars to make, keeping a general size (1920x1080) makes it alot cheaper as all the places that make the panels can just make the same thing, no different tooling.

AFAIK there's no point in running a CRT screen at a resolution past it's dot pitch as you don't actually see all of the detail.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean I have this really awesome spare CRT monitor. Do you want to buy it?

Edited by fajw

...I imagine gaming at such a native res would be somewhat hardware intensive though...

it sure is but not as hard as 7680x1440 although surprisingly a 7970 can keep most current ports fairly close to 60fps

Is there any point to increasing screen resolution? If so, perhaps the next big thing in screen resolution will be 8,294,400 pixels, 16:9. This would make 1080P and 720P scale perfectly to full screen

Does it need to be an even multiple of two to 'scale perfectly'?

Is there any point to increasing screen resolution? If so, perhaps the next big thing in screen resolution will be 8,294,400 pixels, 16:9. This would make 1080P and 720P scale perfectly to full screen

Nope, just needs to be the same aspect ratio.

it sure is but not as hard as 7680x1440 although surprisingly a 7970 can keep most current ports fairly close to 60fps

Well, there you go- one learns something new every day! (I don't game much apart from the Xbox 360, so yeah, I really was "imagine"ing)

Nope, just needs to be the same aspect ratio.

I'm not talking about solely the aspect ratio; it would be an exact replication as every even collection of four pixels on the monitor would be replicated from one pixel in 1920 x 1080 and every even collection of nine pixels would be replicated from one pixel on 1280 x 720.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining well but hopefully you get the idea.

Edited by fajw

What I'm trying to say is that with 1920 x 1080 it would use four pixels for one pixel and with 1280 x 720 it would use nine pixels for one pixel.

I don't think it's pointless. I realise 720 doesn't go into 1080.