Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
g__day

Never, ever give up!

Well it's been a challenging but extremely rewarding journey and yesterday I finally went for and passed my Brown Belt in Shodokan Aikido. To my mind that means I reckon in 6 months I will be up to the standard of where a brown belt really should be - but all my instructors were really pleased and so in fact was I!

My rough rule of thumb is it should take about 5 years for the average person - who puts in a lot of commitment and a hell of a lot of effort - go get to their first black belt. I've been doing this style for just under 3 years now - and no one trains as hard as I do ('cause its both my therapy, I love it and I need heavy repetition to get new things through my thick skull)!

The most memorable point of the (rather long) session was when I was avoiding one of the rather quick and younger brown belts dagger stabs and I accidentally managed to clunk his jaw with my open palm on a head throw that simply wasn't as soft as I was trying. I apologized immediately - stunned him for a few seconds - then it he really went at me. It's soft knives of course - but he really was trying to land blows hard after that. Best thing that could have happened - I was totally in the moment and really didn't want to look like shit and did beautiful evades; he didn't manage to touch me once for the next two - three minutes, whilst I managed some excellent take down throws. Sure that helped me pass my grading - normally I'm pretty much the slowest - easiest person to hit in our club, but sometimes when it seems real I change and just settle and feel totally relaxed and in the moment and somehow I actually manage to look better than average!

I had a beer with the guy afterwards - he'd cooled down about 5 minutes later. It was just one of those things; but I guess the instructors like to see dedication and a seriousness to your training - and frankly I think each student owes the club that alert, attentive attitude at a bare minimum.

Great BBQ afterwards - and now I am very much looking forward to continued focus and personal improvement in what is a really a great club (Shodokan Sydney @ North Ryde)! Hope everyone elses weekend is as enjoyable as mine!

good work

how many belts do you guys have?

i cant stand the guys that get all hissy cause the got an accidental tap though

you guys should make an effort to give him a sly one every training without telling him and see if he starts to get used to it

if he always gets the shit on he probably needs a talking to

we have moved from using real weapons to plastics for a similar reason

we found that guys arent trying to properly attempt an attack

you start to realise how hard a knife attack is to stop

Steven seagal will be proud.

(unless there is a difference between Shodokan Aikido and Akido?)

I've been keen to get back into some form of martial arts, I used to like Jujitsu but my broken back cant handle rolling on the mat. I been thinking about shaolin kung fu or even basic GKR Karate but havent decided yet

Edited by xnatex

:)

Good one g_day, must admit I never thought of martial arts as therapy, but whatever works :)

Cheers

Good one g_day, must admit I never thought of martial arts as therapy,

Cheers

?

Really?

It's great therapy dude and there's a style for every age/level of fitness. After all my injuries and stuff I ended up doing Tai Chi (traditional) for a few years, same results, different path. :)

Very interesting D, perhaps I'm too lazy, music and a book is my usual recovery method, but like I said, whatever works :)

Cheers

Very interesting D, perhaps I'm too lazy, music and a book is my usual recovery method, but like I said, whatever works :)

Cheers

You could compare martial arts to dancing and exercise routines. I reckon it works the same way in how you feel afterwards

Congrats g__day, that is an awesome effort.

I think part of the secret is that if you think something is beyond your reach the thought itself contributes to it being beyond your reach.

Never give up is the only attitude, especially when it comes to personal development.

On the topic of never giving up, I feel that I must post this :

Posted Image

Thanks guys! Martial arts can be a great therapy - its challenging, it drastically improves your fitness, agility, attentiveness, flexibility and toning. It's much cheaper than a gym. You can often find a style to meet your objectives, age, locality. It keeps me mentally sharp too! Plus it's great to drop all your work and life challenges and for a few hours several times a week be totally focused on learning something new.

I was extremely lucky to find a great club that was nearby - so bonus! Plus having something that's challenging - a stretch target - gives you a real sense of achievement once you get to your next set of goals!

Good work g_day.

So 3rd kyu then?

Interesting point about the guy getting upset. We have had some 14 year olds move from the kids classes to the adults classes recently. I was training with one, clearly thinking I should take it easy being a kid when he back fisted me in the mouth. Totally my fault, I was too slow to block. He started apologising - I told him don't be stupid - it was a wonderful gift reminding me never to underestimate my opponent and to block properly next time.

Good work g_day.

So 3rd kyu then?

Second actually. I will shoot for first kyu most probably in the later half of next year. We only have two brown belt levels in this style. I call first kyu senior brown. I can do some of the techniques for the next grading, so in around two to two and a half years I will be thinking about my first black belt!

Edited by g__day

It took me about 13 years to get mine (yes, I had a major break in training).

Was pretty much on 10 years between completing my 2nd kyu grading and shodan (this year) - same style, different dojo.

The statement made was pretty much "oh good, now you get to train with the training wheels off".

Very nice Gday.

It's amazing how long it takes to progress in belts some arts. I still find that Aikido is one of the 'slowest' martial arts to progress in belts in. However, I find that this is likely that the mental discipline in it is something else. Having studied Aikido, Karate, Kungfu, Capoeira and various other styles, I find the mind-set for Aikido the most difficult. No wonder it takes so long to grade.

AD

Congrats, g__day :-) That sounds like an amazing achievement to me! :-)

I am enthralled by martial arts... that being said, I've never taken a class in my life :-) But I love the discipline, the dedication, the mentality and mindset required... I never grow bored hearing about other people's experiences :-) I find it all so fascinating :-)

Elven: IF you were in Canberra I'd take you to training (Or train you 'on the side' if you didn't want to go to formal classes).

What I find especially interesting is the various martial arts methods of teaching 'energies'. And that's the only way I can describe it. I don't believe in these special magic wish powers. But I do appreciate how a training in mindset makes a HUGE Difference.

I prefer the teaching of 'mushin' (No Mind). It applies to everything (nearly). From saying the alphabet, to tying your shoes to punches/kicks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushin

At the end of the day it is identical to the teachings of Qi/Meridians etc. A place to put your mind ( a mindset ) when executing techniques.

I suppose I appreciate it even more having trained in a variety of martial arts and experiencing different methods of teaching this particular technique. No one art has a monopoly on this technique. They just have different names and teaching techniques for it.

AD

Elven, I take it that you're in Canberra...check out Ann Reekie of Takemusu Aiki Aikido (http://www.aikilife.com.au/about/), but perhaps a martial art with a feminine touch to the instruction might make the initial experience a bit more comfortable...

Edited by Antraman

Now I'm wishing I did live in Canberra :-) Alas, I live in Brisbane.

Something I find fascinating, and poor Tick has been on the receiving end of my ramblings about this in the past, is the... similarities... or the parallels that can be drawn between a lot of these arts and disciplines. My heart is pretty much monopolised by that other mat-bound practice, yoga, and what I find striking are the things that we're taught about the mind and how to work with it sounds so much like what I hear you guys talk about :-)

Such as...

I prefer the teaching of 'mushin' (No Mind). It applies to everything (nearly). From saying the alphabet, to tying your shoes to punches/kicks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushin

At the end of the day it is identical to the teachings of Qi/Meridians etc. A place to put your mind ( a mindset ) when executing techniques.

I like how something so seemingly passive and quiet (yoga) can have so much in common with something that is seen to be assertive or even aggressive, or violent (martial arts) - both abstractions are overly simplified and ignore the complexities of the various practices :-) Anyway, I'm rambling again :-)

For a while when I was really competitive, to find my 'centre' I sang the alphabet song in my head. It was something so instinctively known that it just pulled my mind back to where it should be.

So you think it's wierd with your yoga? Well, put alphabet song in your mind and how wierd is that? But it works.

Give it a try sometime. If you find your thoughts drifting and frustration kicking in, sing it in your head.

AD