Sign in to follow this  
Devilsmurf

Potm - How are the topic short listed ?

So there is a particular thread here I think is worthy of POTM consideration, and I'm curious as to how they are chosen. Are they nominated first by forum members ? Are the forums trawled by the mods and the best posts shortlisted ? Can we email a mod and point them in the direction of said post ?

Edited by Devilsmurf

Just click on the "! Report" button on the left-hand side of the post you want to nominate, and the mods will tally them up. The highest-voted thread is basically the winner - in the case of a tie, Hawkeye decides :)

Just click on the "! Report" button on the left-hand side of the post you want to nominate, and the mods will tally them up.

Quoted for emphasis! :-) Reporting is probably the easiest way to do it. You could also PM directly, or email, or whatevs, but yeah, !Reporting is probably just easier :-)

And please do report things if you see something you like - it'd be a shame to miss something! :-)

There's not a really a hard and fast method, but Frunj has hit the basics. We love nominations, and if any thread's nominated, it goes onto our shortlist - if one thread is nominated above the others, that's generally a good indicator, but often it's then discussed among the mods and I. We generally aim for a winner, and two to three runners up.

OP! You are being lied to!

All of the month's posts are written to a paper tape, and fed into the POTM Mainframe, at an undisclosed location several kilometres below the earth's surface.

Well, I call it "mainframe" but really it's just a metal box with a slot in the front for accepting paper tape. Nobody knows what manner of dark magicks lurk behind that beige-painted steel exterior.

Next, hawkeye, frunj, and a randomly selected member of the mod team begin a ritual before the great box. I can't tell you too much, but suffice to say that the three people enter carrying a goat, and leave carrying nothing.

Once the ritual is complete, the great beige box returns a short length of paper tape, which, when fed into a teletype machine, reveals a set of geographical co-ordinates.

The following morning, the three set course for that location. They fly in a chartered, unmarked jet, using a callsign borrowed from a certain media empire. The co-ordinates given usually lie somewhere high in the mountains, where the location won't accidentally be found*. There is a dedicated expedition team, complete with sherpas and donkeys waiting on each continent, ready to take action when "that time of month" comes around.

The trek is long and arduous, but with the assistance of the expedition team, it rarely claims lives. Once the co-ordinates are reached, a passage is read from an ancient, unmarked tome, kept since the dawn of time by Ben Mansill, and handed down to hawkeye. With the passage read, there is a burst of light and hot air, and a chest appears at their feet. When the chest is opened, a seraphim appears, and thanks the team for freeing her. She whispers a goo.gl link to the winning thread in hawkeye's ear, and vanishes into the spirit realm.

With the information in hand, the journey back to Atomic HQ begins, and some days later, the winner is announced on the forum.

They have never been able to share this story, because the *ods have signed blood pacts to never reveal their methods.

I've told the story here, because I think their efforts should not go unappreciated.

* The location of the chest is guarded by powerful magical wards. If a lay person were to accidentally come near that location, they would endure a most horrible death.

Edit: Spellinks.

Edited by SquallStrife

Guest xyzzy frobozz

OP! You are being lied to!

All of the month's posts are written to a paper tape, and fed into the POTM Mainframe, at an undisclosed location several kilometres below the earth's surface.

Well, I call it "mainframe" but really it's just a metal box with a slot in the front for accepting paper tape. Nobody knows what manner of dark magicks lurk behind that beige-painted steel exterior.

Next, hawkeye, frunj, and a randomly selected member of the mod team begin a ritual before the great box. I can't tell you too much, but suffice to say that the three people enter carrying a goat, and leave carrying nothing.

Once the ritual is complete, the great beige box returns a short length of paper tape, which, when fed into a teletype machine, reveals a set of geographical co-ordinates.

The following morning, the three set course for that location. They fly in a chartered, unmarked jet, using a callsign borrowed from a certain media empire. The co-ordinates given usually lie somewhere high in the mountains, where the location won't accidentally be found*. There is a dedicated expedition team, complete with sherpas and donkeys waiting on each continent, ready to take action when "that time of month" comes around.

The trek is long and arduous, but with the assistance of the expedition team, it rarely claims lives. Once the co-ordinates are reached, a passage is read from an ancient, unmarked tome, kept since the dawn of time by Ben Mansill, and handed down to hawkeye. With the passage read, there is a burst of light and hot air, and a chest appears at their feet. When the chest is opened, a seraphim appears, and thanks the team for freeing her. She whispers a goo.gl link to the winning thread in hawkeye's ear, and vanishes into the spirit realm.

With the information in hand, the journey back to Atomic HQ begins, and some days later, the winner is announced on the forum.

They have never been able to share this story, because the *ods have signed blood pacts to never reveal their methods.

I've told the story here, because I think their efforts should not go unappreciated.

* The location of the chest is guarded by powerful magical wards. If a lay person were to accidentally come near that location, they would endure a most horrible death.

Edit: Spellinks.

I find that difficult to believe.

POTM cares not for equality or bias or what thread it is in.

POTM is what and where it is.

in some ways it is like the Delai Lama. wisdom that seems to extend from posts back to antiquity and yet is clearly a post of it's own. except, unlike the Delai Lama, it can not predict where the next POTM will be found.

Edited by meowkitty

POTM is the only thing in this universe than can divide by zero.

It was rumoured that Chuck Norris could also divide by zero, but it was actually 1x10-15

Edited by Devilsmurf

It used to be that if Amiga4Eva posted a thread, that thread would by default win POTM. It's only when he skips a month that the Report function starts working.

I won mine by keeping him.....'occupied'.... all month. It was exhausting, but worth it.

Well I'm happy to say that the reason I posted this thread, where Squallstrife got his runnerup, was to find out how to nominate p0isons microserver thread. It was a thread that I thought captured Atomic's essence perfectly, and reminded me of the tutorials we used to get in the magazine on how to do things.

Congratulations p0ison and Squallstrife !