Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Flouncy

Xonar Essence ST/X

Do you guys know if Dre beats solo HD that I own, would be worth the purchase of his $170 card? Would the headphones be significantly improved making this purchase worthy?

Dre beats solo HD

Xonar essence STX

They're a horrible headphone, but the card is nice.

Tip? When a 'name' releases a product its usually complete shit.... but in this case it's not... but there is a HUGE but.

Basically Dre's are meant for 'his type' of music. Rap, RnB, Slowjams, etc. The bass is over pronounced and the highs suffer for this. But boy do they sound rich and truly amazing for 'his style' of music.

The second you put on ANY other genre, that ups the temp just a bit, the bass gets muddy as they simply cant keep up with the beat.

So now you have no highs, horrible floppy lows with no seperation between the beats, and a barely passable midraneg for hundreds of dollars... no thanks.

Wanna hear for yourself? Put some dragonforce through them, or any modern electronic song. Even Dubstep is often too 'fast' for BEATS to sound good.

If you want portable phones, the best are Koss Portapros, about $35 from mymemory.co.uk (they ship to AUS)

If you want studio style 'at home' phones, the range is bloody huge.... get onto the headfi website and start learning.

Though if its clarity you want, even the Sennheiser HD202's are better; they're closed though so their bass is a little less; but IMO they blow away dre's for half the price.

If there is a storeDJ near you, I'd recommend going in and trying some propper headphones. Not 'fashion phones'. Besides, if you LIKE your music\audio (and are trying to impress people who do too), you'll find people are more impressed by genuine monitor level phones from a decent brand, than by something some dude who wrote some music sometime slapped his name on.

Want cheap and fucking good?

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/KRK-KNS6400

Edited by Master_Scythe

Thanks ill check it out.

Yeah I didn't buy the dre, and read enough to know not to buy them, I got them as a gift from someone who got them free with a phone plan. My origonal idea was to get Audio Technica... M50s I think? as my 1st studios. But since I have dre solo they may as well hold me over for now. So I'm thinking to get this sound card to maybe to improve the dre solo and some other better head phones I get when the dre solo are dead. I do play with albeton live as an amature also

You know?

For $0, the Beats by Dre are a bargain! Best headphones in their price category! :P

hahaha... thanks :P

So you reckon its worth getting Xonar now or wait till i have better headphones? :P

Edited by spankdmonke

A sound card made a noticible difference when I was younger and had $11 USB powered plastic speakers (no shit)..... so I betcha it'll make a difference here too.

While buying early risks 'something better' coming out; is it going to be 'much' better? Probably not.

As an example; for 2 channel sound, my 10yr old PCI Soundblaster LIVE! sounds better than onboard. No matter the speakers.

Ok so my dre solo's won't be significantly improved, but it will sound a lot better. Thanks for the response. I should probably just get the cheaper Xonar DG

Edited by spankdmonke

Yep.

Any Xonar will be good really.

What you're looking for is dedicated processing and getting the DAC away from the motherboards hundred other components.

ANY soundcard will do that; hence my soundblaster live still working :P

Ok, im convinced now. Xonar DG $30-$40 you saved me money :D

Right now im getting an annoying buzz from my headphones connected to my monitor, connected to my realtec HD on board sound. This should probably go too, judging from peoples comments on the product. Bonus :D

If you need drivers for this card, get them here: http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

I found them alot better than the ASUS ones.

Also when i bought the card, it solved my Digitial out problem where i could not get 5.1 DD.. so that was good,

On the other hand, i have had never ending trouble with Mic-in recording levels being excessivly low. And i gave up on it. And alot of others did too reading other forums but no answers. S

So i can not reccomend this card on that point alone. That said im going to have another crack to get it working..