Sign in to follow this  
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.2 and new Nexus devices

Google have some new toys to play with!

Android 4.2 features

• Miracast - wireless streaming to your TV (all Android OEMs seem to be onboard to integrate it into their TVs, and sell cheap add-on units)
  • Gesture typing
  • Multi-user support (share your tablet with other people under their own account)
  • Photosphere - create 3D panoramas like on street view
  • General UI improvements - camera app looks very nice now
  • Enhanced Google Now - can tell you when your packages have been shipped, for example. Is aware of your GMail account.
  • Improved accessibility

Android 4.2, Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 Overview

I've got to say, this is the first time I've ever considered an LG device. That being said, Google had a lot of input into its design.

Google Now

Oh, and the prices!

$350 for the Nexus 4 outright on Google Play! $400 for the 16GB version.

$469 for the 16GB Nexus 10, $569 for 32GB.

And the existing Nexus 7 got a price drop to $250 for the 16GB model, or $299 for 32GB.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Nexus 4 is $350 actually!

Yep, just saw that, any my typo in the original.

The blog says $299; the store says $349AUD

Blog is in US prices. Australian store has always been $50 more.

I love that Google is saying 'fuck you' to the carriers, and undercutting them with outright devices. They keep screwing with updates, so now they're going their own way. So much win.

It also makes it easier to recommend to people, since the price is so affordable!

Dubious of the quality of an LG-made device, but Android 4.2!!! Phwoar!

So was I, but The Verge were impressed, and they're always very critical with their assessment. Google's involvement seemed to raise the quality bar.

I absolutely dig all the UX enhancements in 4.2. Quick settings in the notification pull-down? Brilliant! (Though overdue, I had that with SBSettings on my iPhone :P)

Is 4.2 still named Key Lime Pie?

Edited by SquallStrife

Nope, it's still Jelly Bean. It's a 'minor' release.

Edit: I should also add, if you're on Android 4.1 right now, go update Google Search in the market! It's has the new Google Now features!

Multi-user support?

Not that another user could fit much/any data on my N7 with it being 15/16GB full :

Really tempted to grab the N4 while I'm in the US in December, but I'm still not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on a phone :\

Admittedly I am dubious about buying another LG phone (was put off a long time ago).

But damn, that video got me willing to get one. Especially with the price. I expect to pay 700-800 for a premium new release phone here in Australia (maybe 600 or so on ebay), so getting one for half that price is a no brainer.

I'll swallow my pride and give the LG Nexus a go ;)

:) It's the same for me - I thought if I posted it maybe it was just an anomaly for me only. That's the official link though straight from the Google blog, so no idea why it's in Japanese.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/...hree-sizes.html

*Edit: Just clicked it and it's now in English. The original link AND the one from the blog. Illuminati?

Edited by discoInferno

At this early stage, pretty much the only thing I don't like about the LG Nexus 4 is the embedded battery...just an annoying 'criteria' I have...one which is getting harder and harder to meet...

Should I care??

Depends how long you're likely to keep it. If it's two years or less, you shouldn't care at all. Most likely (much) longer depending on battery type and usage.

Depends how long you're likely to keep it. If it's two years or less, you shouldn't care at all. Most likely (much) longer depending on battery type and usage.

Yeah, I guess you're right...besides, it is beginning to mean I avoid too much tech! I like to think I will hang on to it for at least that long, but if I have spare cash at the time and something extra shiny comes along, well... :)

Ohhhh I've been looking for a new phone and at this price it seems like a great deal.

I'm rarely away from a WiFi connection that I can use so it's not a deal breaker, but but I wonder why they decided against having 4G/LTE.