Sign in to follow this  
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.2 and new Nexus devices

Jesus, it's going to be difficult for other companies to compete at those price points. Some very cool new software features as well.

Absolutely perfect that phone. Except no micro SD support. That's a deal breaker for me which sucks.

No Nexus phone will ever have an SD card reader. Having two memory stores is a major pain for users and developers, and being the reference platform, Google don't want to encourage their use.

The only issue I see is that Google aren't offering large capacities. They really should be.

Absolutely perfect that phone. Except no micro SD support. That's a deal breaker for me which sucks.

No Nexus phone will ever have an SD card reader. Having two memory stores is a major pain for users and developers, and being the reference platform, Google don't want to encourage their use.

The only issue I see is that Google aren't offering large capacities. They really should be.

If they had a 32GB or 64GB I'd be all over it. I wouldn't need the expandable memory then. I just like having all my music with me all the time.

If I can find a cheap ipod or something, I might give the Nexus 4 a go. I really want to, because it looks like such an awesome phone.

Have you considered streaming music via Google Play? You'll need a US proxy to sign up though.

No. But I'm assuming it would chew through my data pretty quick. I think I'm going to get it anyway and firgure something else out for my music.

Presumably you can use stickmount or something and an OTG cable to connect USB drives and swap stuff around, if that's really an issue.

I think the Nexus 4 has no MicroSD for one main reason, they want you to the "Google" cloud services for storage.

I think the Nexus 4 has no MicroSD for one main reason, they want you to the "Google" cloud services for storage.

Nope. It was an engineering decision made by the Android team, not by Google's management.

Nope. It was an engineering decision made by the Android team, not by Google's management.

Presumably for silimar reasons though (ignoring the SD card issue), they expect users to employ Google's cloud services. 8gb is not a lot media, it's not even a lot of applications these days.

Edited by Akamatsu

For "most" ppl, 8GB is more than enough. Yeah, it doesn't sound impressive, but your average user loads a handful of songs on (if any), installs a few apps, takes maybe a few dozen pics and a bunch of vids. 8GB is plenty for them. This is just what I see from my clients when I'm helping them with their phones. I've never had a client that actually cared if their whole music collection was available on their iphone....they always just want a playlist's worth of songs.

Us power hungry users always craving more would only make up a small percentage of the market.

For "most" ppl, 8GB is more than enough. Yeah, it doesn't sound impressive, but your average user loads a handful of songs on (if any), installs a few apps, takes maybe a few dozen pics and a bunch of vids. 8GB is plenty for them. This is just what I see from my clients when I'm helping them with their phones. I've never had a client that actually cared if their whole music collection was available on their iphone....they always just want a playlist's worth of songs.

Us power hungry users always craving more would only make up a small percentage of the market.

8GB is enough for most but you need to leave a few gig free so OS upgrades can be done without worrying it going AWOL due to lack of storage.

Edited by Jeruselem

My kids (6 and 4 year olds respectively) would beg to differ. Both have 8GB Touches. Worst mistake I made was not getting them a touch each with more space.

My kids (6 and 4 year olds respectively) would beg to differ. Both have 8GB Touches. Worst mistake I made was not getting them a touch each with more space.

Thats fair enough, and I have friends who would say the same thing. But I'm just going off personal experience in dealing with a wider range of the general public (who are stupid!). haha even ask most people what benefit 16GB is over 8, and they'll most likely say "doesn't it make it go faster?".

Theres always a chance that a higher capacity phone will be released in future, I mean the Nexus 7 got the 32gb upgrade and took the 16gb's former price. Hopefully they'll do that.

That's a shit move, TBH. I'd have gotten the 32GB N7 if it had come out straight up. But I'll be fucked if I buy a second one just to get it.

That's a shit move, TBH. I'd have gotten the 32GB N7 if it had come out straight up. But I'll be fucked if I buy a second one just to get it.

Keep in mind that it's only a $25 drop. They took away the $25 free Play Store credit recently. But yeah, they should release more memory options upfront. The only reason I can think of is that having two devices at 8/16GB has less manufacturing overhead than three at 8/16/32GB, thus allowing them to sell them cheaper. This would explain why they've completely decommissioned the 8GB version.

Nexus 4 review

Nexus 10 review

"I don't feel any hesitation in saying that the pure Android 4.2 experience is — at least in my estimation — the most advanced mobile operating system on the market."

Once again Chrome makes Android look bad. Google really need to stop replacing the fantastic stock browser with Chrome on Nexus devices. Other than that, both products do really well. The Nexus 4 score seemed to be heavily affected by the lack of LTE (4G) radio. I recalculated it to disregard this fact, and the score came to 8.9/10 (for those who don't care about 4G). Nice to see the software subscore at 10/10 though!

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.