Sign in to follow this  
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.2 and new Nexus devices

The phone can do HSPDA+ anyway which is still very fast in Australia (if you are on telstra) thats capable of 84 Mbit/s where my house is located I could almost pull of speeds on my Telstra turbo card. So for people worrying about (hurr no 4G) its not an issue in australia as american mobile networks are exceedingly crap.

Yeah, mobile networks in the U.S are terrible. That's partly why they ditched LTE in the first place. Still, would have been nice to have 1800MHz band support.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

This may be a stupid question, but what's wrong with Chrome on Android? I'd use it for everything if I didn't rely on Firefox synch for pulling my desktop browser's history and open tabs.

This may be a stupid question, but what's wrong with Chrome on Android? I'd use it for everything if I didn't rely on Firefox synch for pulling my desktop browser's history and open tabs.

It stutters when you scroll, which is really really annoying.

I just tested it on my SGS, with a full webpage.

Can't say I noticed any stuttering.

And I can't think of any other problems with it.

I use it every day as a replacement for the stock browser on my GNex. I don't have any issues with it either. It'd be nice if the browser bar could be hidden when scrolling like the stock broswer, but that's about the only issue I have - and I really like the way tabs are done in Chrome.

Try a complex page like The Verge. My Nexus 7 falls to its knees, compared to the stock browser which is smooth as silk.

Try a complex page like The Verge. My Nexus 7 falls to its knees, compared to the stock browser which is smooth as silk.

How do you compare it to a stock browser on the N7?? Mine only came with Chrome?

I tried the Verge website on mine and it's as smooth as any other website :P

How do you compare it to a stock browser on the N7?? Mine only came with Chrome?

I had to manually flash it on. I can assure you that Chrome is nowhere near as smooth as the browser found in AOSP. No idea why they replaced it with Chrome.

Yep, ok. When going to The Verge and forcing it to get the desktop site, it's a tiny bit worse.

I had to manually flash it on. I can assure you that Chrome is nowhere near as smooth as the browser found in AOSP. No idea why they replaced it with Chrome.

Hmm...I just tried manually installing the stock browser and it seemed to install fine. But when I try run it, it just force closes.

I like the stock browser on my gnex. There's aspects of both the stock and chrome browsers that I like, and I could go either way. That said, I still don't see any significant lag. Tried out both browsers on my gnex and while the stock browser can seem a bit smoother, its hardly anything I would even consider bringing up as a point...

I understand Google wants to push chrome usage...it's their product after all. I don't understand why there's even a stock browser to begin with. They should just make it chrome all the way, but bring the functionality of both

The Nexus 4 might be my next phone by the looks of things as it obviously tops everything else at the moment. Only problem might be availability via contract here in Aus and storage. As if I start to use it a lot I will probably fill the 8GB or 16GB very quickly. And I don't have much experience with Google's storage options and I'm not sure I like the idea as generally the storage isn't free =\. Which it not being free doesn't interest me as I don't have a credit card always available to me to be buying storage in the cloud.

Thoughts?

Edit: As there doesn't seem to be much in the way of new Windows Phone 8 phones as well as Microsoft's Surface phone doesn't look to be released any time soon just rumours of its existence. I'm reading a review right now about Windows Phone 8 and it doesn't sound like it has improved much, next I plan to read a review on the HTC and Nokia WP8 phones. Annoyingly there haven't been any reviews on PC & Tech Authority where I normally get my other tech news. So instead I'm having to resort to something new to me being Gizmodo.

Edited by TheSingularity

If you're filling up memory with music, get on Google music.I love it. Learn how to pin music to your device and limited memory is easy to manage.

I don't really fill up my phones with anything else apart from apps (minimal).

I do have skydrive loaded though in case I need a document here and there. I prefer sky drive over Google drive and drop box because it makes more sense to me when I want to download a copy of something.

Google Drive, Skydrive, and Dropbox all have free options for cloud storage.

The biggest users of space on my 16GB Nexus7 are music and app data, ie ebooks and comics. If Pandora would hurry up and let me use it's Android app in Australia, tho', I'd need to only carry around some local bands.

Here's how my morning went....

9:05am Check phone messages

9:06am Check google play store for 16GB Nexus 4 (negatory)

9:07am Have shower

9:17am Get changed

9:20am Brush teeth

9:22am Refresh google play store page (still negatory)

9:23am Check whirlpool to find 16GB Nexus 4 sold out

9:24am FUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.......

well, something pretty much akin to that ;)