Sign in to follow this  
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.2 and new Nexus devices

give it a week or so - iirc tha's about how lng it took for the 7?

Nexus 7 got it immediately, but they don't release updates in one big hit, they do it in stages to reduce server load.

Sorry, meant hatdware coming back in stock, not the 4.2 rollout.

I don't know to be honest. Many people seem to have bought 5 at a time to sell them off on eBay like pricks. Also, impatient international buyers used proxies to get in on the action. I'm sure they'll rush to get more stock ready.

I hate flashing my shit. Can't work it out :(

Any ideas how to go from 4.1.2 up to 4.2 on my GNex?

Tried just putting the zip file on the phone, then rebooting into CWM and installing from sdcard, but it throws up some error eventually and aborts.

First reports.

Installation has one minor false start. I already changed my device from yakjudv to takju, but I had installed the Telstra radio DVKK6, so the update released today wouldn't install right away. I flashed to XXLF1 and it all went smoothly.

The home screen looks more or less the same as Jellybean 4.1.x and even ICS 4.0.x:

Posted Image

The biggest change is at the lock screen. You can slide right-to-left to bring up the camera, or left-to-right to access widgets. These widgets are currently limited to Gmail, SMS, Calendar, and digital clock, but I'm sure there will be more as time passes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, you click a little icon in the notifications area:

Posted Image

to access a panel with shortcuts to commonly used settings screens, and a shortcut to your Google+

Posted Image

Not the easy-access toggles like I thougt they were, but we have a desktop widget for that anyway.

Performance is good and buttery, no better or worse than JB 4.1. I'll know after a few days how the battery consumption has improved, if at all.

Ordered my Nexus 4 on Tuesday and I'm installing 4.2 on my Nexus 7 tonight can't wait :D

I relented after about a day and let my Nexus 7 update.

I've seen reports everywhere about poorer charge rate and faster battery drain, have to say I agree. I left mine on slower (PC USB) charge from 2am - 8am the other day and it went from drained to barely over 35%

Pull-down quick settings menu is very nice addition.

Just had a shock with Firefox when trying to use it, it'd just drop off with no feedback as to what happened. Apparently a known issue, new version should be out Tuesday, fixed beta supposedly available now.

Also read that some stuff doesn't work with the multi-user feature. I've not exactly got a lot of stuff installed so can't comment.

Been spending the bulk of my tablet time the last couple of days playing IS Snooker, so haven't really been exploring elsewhere much anyway.

Common knowledge, but for those that don't know - the Developer Options item vanishes with the 4.2 update - press 7 times on the "Build number" in "About Tablet" to bring it back.

painless update on my N7 via OTA. I like the new pulldown menu, whicxh is the only real change i noticed. if anything im moreso pissed with apps like ff and fb still being buggy as fuck on such a nice OS.

Only battery issue I've had was shazam being stuck searching for gps, which not only drained my battery but meant it recharged 20% overnight plugged into the wall.

Stickmount is broken which is a right PITA.

There's a heap of bugs and irritations to be resolved, some of which just should never have happened.

The screen auto-brightness is all messed up. Some people reporting sporadic performance.

Some are reverting back to the old version, I'd not go that far at this stage. Hopefully there will be fixes on the way soon.

I'm loving the new update, and find the multi-user interface quite handy. Usually I have to keep on signing in/out on my gmail, facebook, etc accounts so the wifey can check hers. Now Our profiles retain all our information independently, which saves heaps of time logging into said account.

I think the tablet is certainly quicker navigating and the like. I still have issues with a few apps and games. I purchased N.O.V.A 3 and Mass Effect Infiltrator when I first purchased the tablet with the included $25 play store credit, and though they run well (N.O.V.A sucks balls on the tab), my Samsung Galaxy S2 runs them perfect! Smooth, fast and enjoyable to play with no hangs. Sometime these games crash on the tab, and N.O.V.A 3 is so jerky I don't bother playing it (even despite updates which are around 1.5gb each time from Gameloft).

Holding out for the long awaited jelly bean update for the Galaxy S2, that will be interesting!

Holding out for the long awaited jelly bean update for the Galaxy S2, that will be interesting!

Just flash a custom ROM.

I've got Jelly Bean on my original SGS.

Works amazingly.

Yep, one of the first things I noticed - apparently even worse if you're using a low setting to begin with.

It wasn't really "broke" so they shouldn't have "fixed" it. For now I've just turned it off.

Hopefully they'll get these issues sorted and roll out another update. Some of these issues are things that should never have slipped out.

Another annoyance, no idea if it was present before - if you have the audio piped out via 3.5mm jack, it pops up a warning dialog if you boost the volume above about 40%

I believe the problem is also present in that the audio doesn't revert to the speaker sometimes when you unplug the 3.5mm jack.

Just flash a custom ROM.

I've got Jelly Bean on my original SGS.

Works amazingly.

Yeah, thought about this, though I didn't enjoy upgrading my Galaxy S a little while ago. It took me around 8 hours (on and off, bricked the phone, had to un-brick it, etc). Just found it hard getting the right information and resources online. XDA was ok for this, but there are soooo many software variants it was almost overwhelming! You really need to keep on top of "flashing" to avoid what happend to me. When I flashed my Galaxy tab 7.0 (PT-1000 I think it was), everything was well documented and easy. Galaxy S - worst time of my life!

I'm additionally a little concerned that the phone can be bricked in such a manner that it will require additional hardware to bring it back to life (JTAG resurrection) which is expensive! If I can find a nice guide and I'm feeling lucky, I'll give it a crack.

Apparently 4.2 has auto brightness issues (at least for the N7). Lux sales have spiked nicely.

I always have mine on max brightness. It owns.

(I'm always plugged in while at my desk though, so not such a big deal)

Minor thing, no idea if it's new or pre-existing:

If you snooze via power button press, the tablet can wake up via the magnetic sensor (N7 has a mag sensor which can snooze the tablet when you close a suitably equipped carry folder).