Sign in to follow this  
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.2 and new Nexus devices

Holding out for the long awaited jelly bean update for the Galaxy S2, that will be interesting!

Just flash a custom ROM.

I've got Jelly Bean on my original SGS.

Works amazingly.

Yeah, thought about this, though I didn't enjoy upgrading my Galaxy S a little while ago. It took me around 8 hours (on and off, bricked the phone, had to un-brick it, etc). Just found it hard getting the right information and resources online. XDA was ok for this, but there are soooo many software variants it was almost overwhelming! You really need to keep on top of "flashing" to avoid what happend to me. When I flashed my Galaxy tab 7.0 (PT-1000 I think it was), everything was well documented and easy. Galaxy S - worst time of my life!

I'm additionally a little concerned that the phone can be bricked in such a manner that it will require additional hardware to bring it back to life (JTAG resurrection) which is expensive! If I can find a nice guide and I'm feeling lucky, I'll give it a crack.

I was very similar with my SGS2 in that there was so many different methods and different roms and that sorta thing out there, I just didn't even bother, I bricked my phone when trying, fixed it and then put the original rom back on and left it.

I've been meaning to flash my Telstra locked nexus for months but every time the weekend comes and I think about spending time dicking around trying to make it happen, I invariably end up playing computer games instead.

I'm weak like that.

I've been meaning to flash my Telstra locked nexus for months but every time the weekend comes and I think about spending time dicking around trying to make it happen, I invariably end up playing computer games instead.

I'm weak like that.

Haha! It's probably a safer bet sticking to the video games! More productive too.

FB is crap because it's all HTML5. A native version is coming out soon.

Not even that, just weird glitches - can't share some things, can't like other things, etc. Tho' I thought the native apps had come back already, at least for Android?

Currently waiting for the 4.2.1 or whatever update to come down~

What kind of battery life were you getting, pre/post undervolting, out of curiosity?

I didn't bother measuring it. To do it scientifically would mean taking my phone out of commission for a couple of days. I'll keep tweaking and consider testing my final result with stock.

Anyone playing around with the official Google slide keyboard? Got it on my SGN, it seems okay compared to the Swype beta but also quite limited. The shortcuts I'm used to (punctuation in particular) aren't there, and it's noticeably laggier than Swype at animating the trail over the keyboard.

Accuracy, however, seems good, and it hit the ground running - nailing most of the words I tried first go.

I'll probably switch back to Swype in a while, since I do miss those shortcuts, but it's good that Google is giving this to anyone with a 4.2 device.

I should say, I absolutely love this Nexus 4. It wipes the floor with my Galaxy S III and Nexus 7 in terms of fluidity and responsiveness. My last charge cycle achieved just under 5 hours of screen on time, which isn't too shabby! My only disappointment so far is the camera. It's not bad, but it's not premium either.

The display is beautiful, the OS enhancements in Android 4.2 are great, and the solid build of the device is fantastic.

This thing is the best HSPA+ Android phone on the market, bar none - it's no wonder there's no stock left anywhere in the world. The fact that it sells so cheap is a massive bonus!

I should say, I absolutely love this Nexus 4. It wipes the floor with my Galaxy S III and Nexus 7 in terms of fluidity and responsiveness. My last charge cycle achieved just under 5 hours of screen on time, which isn't too shabby! My only disappointment so far is the camera. It's not bad, but it's not premium either.

The display is beautiful, the OS enhancements in Android 4.2 are great, and the solid build of the device is fantastic.

This thing is the best HSPA+ Android phone on the market, bar none - it's no wonder there's no stock left anywhere in the world. The fact that it sells so cheap is a massive bonus!

Im loving it too. I'll admit, at first glance it felt like a slight upgrade from my Galaxy Nexus, but after a few weeks, the differences are more noticeable. Though, I do prefer the GN power/volume buttons (they're sturdier). Also, the fact you could get an OEM extended battery was a bonus....though, not absolutely needed.

I was disappointed with the camera. Yes it was better than the GN, but I find there's a lot of processing going on which screws up with the picture even in broad daylight. But, for facebook uploads and the like, it's more than perfect.

I've actually bought Vignette and find it takes nicer photos. Without the fancy frames and effects just set to "Normal", the photos I take are instantly more pleasing to the eye. I hate that you have to save each picture after you take it though.

H+ is a bonus for me. My download speeds have tripled and sometimes quadrupled what I was getting on the GN....though in real terms, the difference is not *hugely* noticeable as most of my websites I am browsing dont require any significant bandwidth.

I was forced to get the 8GB version, which I was going to sell and get a 16GB once they were in stock again. I don't think I'll need it. I'm getting along quite happily as I don't carry videos on me (just a playlist worth of music, whatever pics/videos i take, and a (large) game or 2).

Jellybean 4.2 is a bit meh. It's not a big deal over 4.1. The photosphere camera is VERY cool, and impresses everyone that sees it, but I hardly use it anymore. I dont bother using lockscreen widgets because it's just as easy to unlock my phone and see what I need to see. I don't use the notification bar settings either as they aren't toggles, so essentially useless for me.

The display is definitely very nice. Most people comment on it the first time they see mine. I'm used to it now, so my next phone better be as good or better ;)

Galaxy S3 feels like shit compared to the N4. But I haven't tried an S3 with Jellybean on it yet so there's no butter :P Plus, I HATE samsungs bloatware.

ive been eye fuking the nexus 10 all night and i think im going to get it before i travel somewhere next. The no SD card is a bit of a burn but i think the 32GB model should be enough for a few cheeky movies on the plane.

How long until they get another price drop? Im wondering how long i should wait before jumping on one, maybe the next apple tablet release?

Edited by xnatex

ive been eye fuking the nexus 10 all night and i think im going to get it before i travel somewhere next. The no SD card is a bit of a burn but i think the 32GB model should be enough for a few cheeky movies on the plane.

How long until they get another price drop? Im wondering how long i should wait before jumping on one, maybe the next apple tablet release?

Nexus devices don't usually drop much, and why they do, it's usually bumping the 32GB model to the 16GB price point, the 16GB to the 8GB price point, and then discontinuing the 8GB. In the case of the Nexus 10, it'll probably be the 16GB that'll eventually be discontinued. My guess is that things will shift around Google I/O when the new Nexus 7 comes along.

I'm currently waiting on my wife's new Nexus 4 to arrive from Google. That'll make it three Nexus devices in the house - Gnex, N7 and now N4. She's jumping across from an iPhone 4, but is already happy with Android having used my Gnex and the N7 is hers. Thinking I'll use this so we can keep all our music in iTunes and still play it in the car.

N4 was $400, used iPhone 4's seem to sell for $200-$300 on eBay so change over cost will be minimal, and direct, unfettered updates from google make it completely worth it.