Sign in to follow this  
val0r0x

To upgrade or not

So.. situation is as follows. For those that don't know, Dell have a sale on at the moment which makes this monitor look very attractive (sale ends tomorrow) - http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/product...p;sku=210-40773

My issue or concern is that I may not be able to run the latest and greatest (Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Guild Wars 2, Batman: AC, and Skyrim are all on my play list at the moment), at very good frame rates.

I'm only running a single Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Overclocked 2GB at the moment and I'm not convinced, based off what little review data I've looked up, that it could hold it's own. I'm tempted to pick up a second GPU and grab the monitor at a latter date.

What's the opinion here, have people got themselves a 1440 res monitor? Is it worth upgrading from 1080 or am I just trying to convince myself. As much as I want the monitor, I'm thinking my money may be better spend on the second GPU at this stage...

Not sure which monitor you are talking about; the link doesn't work for me.

If you get the monitor you don't have to play games at the maximum resolution.

you should be able to run those games fairly close to 60fps although bf3 may need to be without aa i would think

skyrim will still be cpu limited

and crysis well i doubt you could maintain 60fps at max detail even with your current monitor but its settings are fairly flexible and lowering some can provide a large performance increase with minimal quality loss

this review should give you a fair idea as it uses in game tests and he selects some of the most demanding parts of the game yet even at 2560x1600 a overclocked gtx670 looks to do fairly well

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...c-review-5.html

Edited by Dasa

Get the monitor now while it's on sale, play some games and see what you think.

Keep in mind, many reviews are using 4-8x AA and 16x AF along with maxed out graphics for their reviews. If you tweak settings yourself you can get more acceptable frame rates.

If you decide you still want more frames, buy a second GTX 670 then, but a single one should be fine for most games. I'm only running a single HD7970 now, having had two of them CrossFired in the past.

I'd definitely take a 2560x1440 monitor over a second GTX 670.