Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

My PSU just exploded

While playing mw3 my powersuply made multiple explosion noises and my pc turned off. i had 30min before installed a 2metre nzxt led cable and i turns out it and two fans were all running of the same molex port, is this the problem. I have an aywun 650w megapower.

unless the led cable shorted... well even then i think its fairly clear that the problem is you were using a generic psu

http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/aywun-megap...upply-review/4/

from looking at that id say its about on par with coolermaster extreme for quality

just hope that it didnt kill most the parts in your pc

Edited by Dasa

that review is pretty bad, i though aywun wasn't generic. also i had very low power draw(hd 5770 and amd 965black cpu) i will check the capacitors

The capacitors are all good and there are no burnt/melted bits, what now?

Guest xyzzy frobozz

New PSU.

Odds are that you're fine.

Fingers crossed!

New PSU.

Fingers crossed!

what do you mean, plug it in again?

Guest xyzzy frobozz

New PSU.

Fingers crossed!

what do you mean, plug it in again?

Ummmmm, how do I say this.....?

NO!

Buy a new PSU and plug new PSU in. Remember to unplug old PSU. Then cross finngers and turn computer on. Keep finger crossed until operating system boots and you're playing sweet, sweet games.

;-)

EDIT:- It's possible you've not blown the PSU but a component. For safety I'd not be using that PSU. They're pretty dire.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Ummmmm, how do I say this.....?

NO!

Buy a new PSU and plug new PSU in. Remember to unplug old PSU. Then cross finngers and turn computer on. Keep finger crossed until operating system boots and you're playing sweet, sweet games.

;-)

EDIT:- It's possible you've not blown the PSU but a component. For safety I'd not be using that PSU. They're pretty dire.

ok, i will get a psu to use for a week or so from the computerbank(my local computer recycler) then a new one if that fixes it

I very much doubt the LED's caused it to blow up, I would say it was just a faulty PSU.

As i thought, but what was it that went boom? i cant see any popped caps.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I very much doubt the LED's caused it to blow up, I would say it was just a faulty PSU.

Those were my thoughts.

Given the possible risk involved in persisting with the old PSU, I think it much better to get a new one.

Did you check the Fuse it could have been the culprit. Some recyclers remove the fuse's and place cheap ones in it. Gathering you are on a low income try looking at the Capacitors again for leakage and such. Also check for any smells coming from the PSU.

When restarting computer it might be a good idea to check the Graphics cards for signs of damage like burnt capacitors and such. Also lifting of the copper rails on the card.

Did you check the Fuse it could have been the culprit. Some recyclers remove the fuse's and place cheap ones in it. Gathering you are on a low income try looking at the Capacitors again for leakage and such. Also check for any smells coming from the PSU.

When restarting computer it might be a good idea to check the Graphics cards for signs of damage like burnt capacitors and such. Also lifting of the copper rails on the card.

What do you mean the fuse, i bought the PSU new. no smells(i have seen that before in an extreme case[the whole building smelt bad]). and i will check the gpu

mate,

you're just gonna have to lash out and buy a decent PSU

something like Corsair, Enermax, OCZ....anything except Thermaltake or anything generic, like the PoS that you've declared fucked.

sure, you'll pay more, a lot more

but

it'll last you many, many years - I've been running my Corsair HX1000 for 5 years or so, and half dozen builds, and have intentions of running it through my next build too - 5year guarantee, why not?

the initial outlay hurts, but as the years of trouble free use are a pleasure

;)

I won't buy mediocre rubbish.

you've just paid the price and wasted your money (or worse)

goodluck with it.

Thats what happens when you play MW3, obviously the game destroyed your PC.

Your funny, how do you kick people from a topic? and to everyone else, what psu do you recommend? EDIT- Antec EA-550 Platinum or OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular or Silverstone Strider 500W ST50F-ES

Edited by noskcaj

Thats what happens when you play MW3, obviously the PC committed suicide rather than put up with that cynical exercise in money grubbing mediocrity anymore.

FIFY

Thats what happens when you play MW3, obviously the game destroyed your PC.

Your funny, how do you kick people from a topic?

I lold

Antec EA-550 Platinum. Though you may find the 650W is worth buying, as it's typically only $5-$10 more.

I recently downgraded my system to one this week :)

i cant see the 650w being worth it unless you intend to use a heap of 15k hdd or adapters it doesnt have enough pci-e leads for cf\sli so will never get near its rated power use

450-550w antec 3 year warranty should be fine and will be decent value in the long run

you could spend more on a higher quality psu with a longer warranty like the corsair hx 650 $149 7 year warranty but it still only has two pci-e leads and a bit lower efficency

yeah i will get antec if my parents pay for extra efficiency ocz otherwise

I've had a PSU blow, lovely big bang and smoke.

All parts were fine though.

To kick someone from the thread, you click the !Report button on their post......