Sign in to follow this  
aussiejunior

Radiator question

Well guys it has come time for me to replace my aging and tired watercooling loop. (it's about 4 years old).

Ive been busy assembling and buying parts for a new rig to replace my old i7920 setup as its getting finiky and having alot of issues.

My question is that I now have a i5 3570k, asus rog maximus v formula and a gtx g80.

How big a radiator will I need to effectively cool these compnents down?

I'm not overclocking atm as there is no need as the system is very powerful allready, but dont mind doing abit of oc here and there for benchmarking and to show off my rig.

The radiator I'm looking at purchasing is a 2*200mm from www.frozencpu.com

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14803/ex...?tl=g30c95s1586

Will it be enough to cool everything down if overclocked?

It's going to be mounted externally so there are no worries about space requirement lol.

The rest of the watercooled loop will include

xspc raystorm cpu block

xspc gtx680 waterblock

Fusion thermo asus waterblock (pre built onto the motherboard allready)

Frozenq liquid fusion dual bay resevoir (with a pump mount)

koolance pmp450-s pump (with 24v controller)

3/8'' primo chill red uv tubing

3/8'' compression fittings

ek blood red coolant

should be plenty overkill

not sure id bother adding the mb into the loop it will just restrict flow and increase cpu\gpu temps

just a word of warning some coolant colors can have a tendency to clog up loops

Avoid EK blood red stuff any form of coloured coolant, I bought some ages ago and it stained all my tubes and broke down and clogged up in my CPU block within only a few months. You have red tube, just use distilled water :)

Edited by p0is0n

Thanks for the fast reply guys.

I'm only adding the mb into the loop as I live in a fiarly warm environment (north vic on the nsw border and were allready seing temps in the mid to high 30's) and i'd like to keep everything as cool as possible. I'm not to worried if it restricts the flow alil and raises temps on the cpu/gpu alil.

With my current w/c setup the mb hasnt really made a difference on temps. When I first got the setup up and running I ran a few o/c benchies on it to see what it was capable of and with the cpu @ 4.4ghz ( I havent got it to run stable at anything higher yet) the temps were only maxing at 55-60c.

So if the radiator is going to be plenty overkill would it have enough in reserve to cool a second gtx 680? As I may possibly go that route in another year or so when I can get a second one cheap enough

Also with the distilled water is primochill uotpia ok to mix with it?

I'm running distilled water atm with a silver coil in it, but I dont want to add one into the new setup when its up and running as i dont want to damage the frozen q resevoir

Edited by aussiejunior

even if your room reached 50c and you were running that thing at 5ghz it wouldnt be a problem for the vrm on that mb without insane levels of v that would burn out the cpu long before the vrm

second gtx680 should be fine but how good the temps are will depend on fan speed\noise

utopia works well with distilled water

Yea distilled water + liquid utopia is what all the cool kids are using these days. It's what I am using, heaps better than coloured coolant :) I have 2 unopened bottles of that EK crap I can't even give away.

I'm looking at running a pair of these fans

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10435/fa...l?tl=g36c15s714

So I don't think airflow etc is going to be much of an issue.

Is it worth going push pull config? I've tried it in the past with a smaller 2*120 rad used to cool an i7 920 @ 4ghz and didnt really notice any difference in temp and that was with 4 110cfm 2000rpm 120mm fans. The 920 would still run upwards of 75-80c lol. Man that sucker was a hot chip.

The way i've got my rig setup atm is under a window that can be blacked out if its getting to hot outside, primarily because the side of the house its on gets alot of cool breeze, and having the rad setup under the open window I've seen some crazy low temps.

A few months back I was downloading some things so I left the computer on when I went out for tea, and by the time I got home a few hours later it was getting really cold outside, I checked on the comp and the lowest core was idleing at 0 degrees lmfao.

I hope i'm not being to much of a pain in the arse, but there is still alot I dont know about watercooling, but would love to learn about

should be fine with those fans

four fans push pull may help but two should be fine for a start unless you notice your water temps going more than 7c above ambient