A Hitman

Realtek ALC1200 vs Creative X-Fi

I just ordered an Asus M3A78-t and was wondering if the on board Realtek ALC1200 would be better than a creative X-Fi.

Most people will tell you to stay away from Creative sound cards because of driver issues and other problems.

So if you want to buy a sound card then something like an Auzentech Prelude which runs on the X-Fi processor anyway is a great choice.

Otherwise most people are happy with modern onboard audio.

I'd also recommend the Auzentech Prelude. Good driver support unlike creative.

However if you can check out a system with a sound card and on board sound and see if you can pick the difference.

I use Creative Fatality X-Fi 64mb edition sound card on Vista 64, I had no such problems with drivers what so ever, and combine with Logitech z-5500. it really shine on everything I listen to and then some.

I have tried the onboard stuf on my m/b which is P5E deluxe, cant remember what sound chip it uses, but I am sure is realtek or realtek lol, regardless, on digital output, sounds the same on default, but being creative and all, you get all sorts of mixing stuff and sound effect..

I have THX bass boost on, at 8db and 100hz cut off, sounds really sweet on my ears with my x-fi, so I am a happy creative x-fi customer here.. :)

I also game alot, 32 voices onboard sound dont cut it, 128voices, hell yeah!!

my onboard sound was severley lacking, and since my home system cant be hooked to my PC I grabbed the z5500's and an asus xonar and, although not ideal, when set up correctly, they kick the onboard sound to the kerb.

Ya know, I personally haven't had any problems with the creative drivers.

I installed them and off I went, even with the onboard sound still enabled.

And to answer the question... the X-fi should be better than the onboard.