drago13666

Hobbies?

Recently I have been finding myself getting rather bored of a night, computer games and TV has lost its appeal so I have been finding myself with nothing to do, which led me to thinking that I really need some new hobbies.

Something I can do after work preferably without spending mountains of cash.

So, hobbies, what do you do to keep yourself occupied?

If looking for advice. Don't look at me. Mine are expensive.

Marine tank (With plans to breed clownfish. They are spawning, but I don't have all the equipment to raise the larvae)

Blacksmithing (Try buying an anvil sometime. Typically $5/lb. Yes they measure in pounds. Deal with it. You'll be looking at a 100lb anvil or more. Then you have to build the forge, get the tools etc)

Kung Fu. Ok this one is relatively cheap. $30/week in training fees. Then whatever time I spend practicing. The straight sword cost me $100. Staff $30 (For a good quality rattan staff that WON'T break and can support my weight. Knives I made myself. See: Blacksmithing)

Dave

Is there really such a thing as a hobbie? Dont you just do what you like? i certainly do.

If you are looking for something to do, buy a cheap Classical guitar and learn a few nice tunes. And practice.

Learn to Weld, that is always good. Start a vege garden? there is so many things to do i find it hard to know where to start as the main problem.

Looking after my son, that is my full-time hobbie...

While I do have to change dirty nappies, a smile from him makes it all worth while.

:-)

Walk, swim, carpentry sculpture that sort of thing. Have no idea whether your a head case or a handy person :) You'd obviously lean towards which ever way your 'bent' is.

Reading, as GWW says is always good.

Music is my profession. Keeps me busy and I love it enough that I don't really need a hobby. I watch movies, and coffee is something of a hobby I guess... Roasting, machine mods, different brewing methods.

raising indoor plants

Hydroponic setups can be expensive to get up and running. However the ROI is amazing.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Brew beer.

It's a real art and very rewarding.

As far as hobbies go, it's very cheap in that once you get good at it, you save yourself buying beer.

Although you do spend a lot of time pissed.

WIN!

raising indoor plants

Hydroponic setups can be expensive to get up and running. However the ROI is amazing.

And like trying to grow a great many things in this country, salinity is a problem I'll rant about at another time. This shit is high maintenance yo.

Alot of good ideas, I agree that ideally personal interests should direct you, I've just had such a mental block lately its hard to work out what I should look at pursuing.

I think I live in the wrong area for my old hobbies, apartments in the middle of the city don't leave alot of room for woodworking or fire twirling.

" apartments in the middle of the city " ... um reading, gaming :P ... Pakour ?

raising indoor plants

And like trying to grow a great many things in this country, salinity is a problem I'll rant about at another time. This shit is high maintenance yo.

Just make sure it doesn't fuck up your water pumps. Regularly flush with fresh water.

I hand craft pens, pendants, key chains, lighters, salt and pepper shakers/grinders, etc - Work with a lot of acrylics, metals, and precision workshop tools

Best bit is - The stuff I make sells like hot cakes - Allows me to expand my workshop and get mroe stuff to make more stuff no worries. Awesome time sink and pays for itself

I'd really love to get into rock climbing. The only thing stopping me is that the rockclimbing hall here in Trondheim is a "do it yourself", so you have to know what you're doing. I'd have to take a beginner course which goes over 2 days, but i'll be damned if i can find a spare 2 days to do a rock climbing course...

So yea, if i was in your position i'd learn to climb rocks ;)

I'd really love to get into rock climbing. The only thing stopping me is that the rockclimbing hall here in Trondheim is a "do it yourself", so you have to know what you're doing. I'd have to take a beginner course which goes over 2 days, but i'll be damned if i can find a spare 2 days to do a rock climbing course...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouldering

Can be real easy and real cheap to start with - Gives you a good taste as well. I go bouldering twice a week fo rfitness and just need shoes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouldering

Can be real easy and real cheap to start with - Gives you a good taste as well. I go bouldering twice a week fo rfitness and just need shoes

Yea looks pretty neat, i wonder if Norway has places to do it. It's winter here now though, so snow and temps below freezing will make it a little difficult. But i might try it out in the summer.

Ah, http://www.bouldering.no

cool :)

Now that i think about it, i might as well just learn to ski properly. But i can't stand the fact that i look like a fucking retard and all the small kids point and stare at me lol.

Edited by smakme7757

Travelling, cycling, gaming, cooking, photography and generally all around the same timeframe if I can manage it ;)

Brew beer.

It's a real art and very rewarding.

As far as hobbies go, it's very cheap in that once you get good at it, you save yourself buying beer.

Although you do spend a lot of time pissed.

WIN!

This a thousand times.

But if you take it to the next level (buy kegs and go all grain), it can also get expensive, so keep it simple with a single fermenter and bottles at first :)

I'd also say cooking is a fantastic and rewarding way to spend your time, just like brewing or wine making. I personally like to create things in which I can share with friends and family.

Each Sunday I'm either brewing a new beer, transferring and bottling / kegging ready beers or cooking an awesome meal for a Sunday night feast with my mates (accompanied by home brewed beer). Sunday is my favourite day of the week because of this.

shooting - pesky wabbits, foxes, roos (when we are aloud to), plates/targets

then to go along with that camping/fishing etc etc

That sounds like fun, but it's a pretty difficult hobby to get into (in terms of regulation), so you need to be keen to be bothered.

Out of interest Corky, can you hunt with a bow on the same licence? Or is that completely separate to firearms?