Sign in to follow this  
ahimoth

Nexus broken "water damage"

Anyone have any experiences with fixing Galaxy Nexus, is it easy to do, or am i better off just parting ways with it?

So here's the story, apparently my phone has been water damaged and that's why my on button has stopped working. I've asked the Vodafone tech support guy to forward me the photos they took of my "water damaged" phone not wanting to open it up and taking a look myself.

What annoys me about the ruling is that if the water damage is "so bad" and has affected the motherboard "beyond warranty repair" then why the hell does it do everything BUT turn on. It's charging, making calls and doing everything but turning on. I just don't see how water could have affected such a small part of the phone beyond repair but left the rest of the phone operational.

Any one else experienced these sort of screw ups with the nexus. I know the on button not working is very common, and several people around have had it put down to water damage. But for so many people having a water damaged phone that works apart from the on button working is a bit sus.

I have three options at the moment:

• Cancel my contract which has $300 remaining.
  • Fix it myself by cleaning the motherboard and then repairing the on button which would void the warranty and I may end up destroying the phone.
  • Or get some cheap ass shady tech place in the city to repair it for me with God knows what.
Edited by ahimoth

there is no such thing as damage beyond warranty repair.

Either they can fix it or they are voiding your warranty.

if the warranty is void why are you worries about opening it up

there is no such thing as damage beyond warranty repair.

Either they can fix it or they are voiding your warranty.

if the warranty is void why are you worries about opening it up

But alas, there are such things as "beyond economical repair". This not only includes the cost of the parts for the repair but the labor time too. Potentially some repairs are just not worth the effort (financially due to the end users point of view). We live in a throw away society and BER (beyond economical repair) is the reason the service and repair industry barely exists today.

I would grab the phone back and attempt the repair, as already mentioned above, if the warranty is void you have nothing to loose (but if you fix your phone, what a bonus).

I have resurrected a many phones back from the grips of the H2O "Water Gods" (my father in laws was totally saturated inside, and it lived, and still does today). It's a process involved with bringing phones back to life from water damage.

PM me if you need more information.

Good luck!

I wonder if you sat the phone in the sun would it dry it out or used a blow dryer

Edited by mattleyland