Star Citizen / Squadrdon 42 - a real PC game

This had me foaming at the mouth like a hungry dog looking through a butchers shop window.

Aaany day now... You know yer gunna.

Nope... I'll just watch from afar thanks. :)

Personally I'm waiting for the new delta patcher before I bother trying it again. Not going to waste my time downloading gigs unecessarily.

Delta patcher due in 3.0, apparently, so that's simplified. ;)

It won't help you for 3.0 itself, though - almost everything changed. The d/l looks to be about 30GB, judging from a couple of pics floating around! (Ow! Going to have to buy more data that month, and spend a full day on it.)

OUCH!!!

A new feature coming for a release "soon" after 3.0: Face Tracking.

Gotta love that they've just killed TrackIR as a side-effect of their actual goal.

Speaking of 3.0, there's a live-stream (now not live) of the current 3.0 build (~150m) [fan cut gameplay only version (~60m)] being shown at Gamescon. It does show some pretty awesome stuff: flying and landing on planet an entire FPS map (the interior of a capital ship), hailing passing vessels and having live video conferencing with the captain, the mix'n'match full clothing system... Aaand a few nasty bugs yet to be ironed out (full version only).

Honestly, though, I've experienced bugs as bad in Skyrim. It's just that not having savegames means the SC has to replay entire scenarios, rather than just from your last unaffected point. Edited by Cybes

I forget that I'm a long time backer for this, since 2012 I've planned on getting VR, this and upgrading my PC to make it all work. Well I've got VR now, next PC and eventually Star Citizen.

I don't mind it's taking time to be released, I want something amazing.

I don't mind it's taking time to be released, I want something amazing.

Same here. You'll be pleased to hear one of the devs was heard talking about VR issues of various things in one of the official releases. So whilst they haven't yet officially announced VR support, it's clearly being worked on.

guess i should jump in and grab Package - Aurora MR Star Citizen + Squadron 42 Combo $66US before the 10% tax comes into affect in a few hours and makes it $72.6

or has it already started making it $66 up from $60? it shouldn't have yet as its not midnight

(This sale will run from today until midnight UTC on September 1st, 2017 when the new Australian tax mandate goes into effect.)

Edited by Dasa

guess i should jump in and grab Package - Aurora MR Star Citizen + Squadron 42 Combo $66US before the 10% tax comes into affect...

Yup - thanks Malcom!

And that's the most you need to spend for both Sq42 and the SC MMO. Everything else you can (ow will be able to) buy in-game with funds you earn in-game. The rest of it is just if you want to help the thing get written, and is basically a big fat gamble with little more payoff even if it wins.

Two things this post: first up, a short vid that might put a few of the "It's taking too long!" and "It's got an obscene amount of money!" whines into perspective:

Next up... The progress tracker, "Burndown", which lets everyone else know how things are going, shows that there are only FIVE (5) blockers* left before Evocati+ release. I'd expect them to have their mitts on it within a week or two, and then release to public a month or so after that.

*These are game-breaking or play-impacting bugs.

+The non-CIG playtest team, who will get to abuse the MMO portion as hard as they can until it's deemed ready for the rest of us.

Alpha 3.0 has just been released to the Evocati (a select non-CIG group of playtesters)!

Citizencon has just concluded, and there is a lot of very cool video to watch if you're interested. I'm not going to link all of it - you can go to the the Star Citizen YouTube channel if that's your thing (it was mine, but be prepared to lose an entire day).

The main point of interest for casual followers has to be just Chris Roberts' presentation, so here it is. Skip ahead to 11:28 to get straight into it. Do yourself a huge favour and watch it fullscreen with as much resolution as you can get.

• Like 1

The main point of interest for casual followers has to be just Chris Roberts' presentation, so here it is.

mindblowing.

• Like 1

Alpha 3.0 has just pushed to the PTU. That's the Player Test Universe, in case you were wondering. They're expecting to go make that the official universe before Christmas.

Fan made timelapse video of some of the sights available to the PTU players now:

It's only three minutes, and it won't even seem like one.

Is planet orbits a thing?

I recall they wanted to do that a while back but had to let it go cause of tech reasons.

The nerd in me wants it to happen.

Is planet orbits a thing?

I recall they wanted to do that a while back but had to let it go cause of tech reasons.

The nerd in me wants it to happen.

Me too. TBH, I don't know. I don't have my hands on 3.0, so I can't speak from first-hand information, but "Not yet" is the word from others. As of nine months ago, the long-term outlook is "definitely maybe": they want to, and the Frankfurt studio is working on it, but... <shrug>

Absolutely for certain there is nothing like Freelancer's stupid 'lane' thing in place, though, so there's that. ;p

what do you mean by orbits in a gameplay context?

like, being on a space station watching one of the planet's moons rise? with the level of detail they have now it would be weird if they didnt have that.

what do you mean by orbits in a gameplay context?

like, being on a space station watching one of the planet's moons rise? with the level of detail they have now it would be weird if they didnt have that.

I took it to mean planets orbiting around the sun. There is definitely planetary rotation, and orbits of stations and moons around primaries - things like that time-lapse above wouldn't be possible otherwise, since there are no skyboxes.

Sorry about the size, it's not my image - but it does serve the purpose of exposing detail. Check out those reflections!

LJ9Ka52.jpg

A day more (and a whole lot of disappointed people) later, the Squadron 42 'vertical slice' demo is available. Well, has been for a while, but I got to it late, and just finished watching it myself, so... Anyway:

https://youtu.be/tpVzJiarjvc?t=27m2s

Fullscreen; max rez.

If the embed doesn't like the timecode, skip to 27m mark to see the WIP gameplay. You can, of course, watch the whole thing if you want studio tours etc.

(Or, I can just do the link. That's a better idea.)

Edit2: Futzed the link.

Edited by Cybes

https://youtu.be/tpVzJiarjvc?t=1622

the text in your link name is right but the actual link is not to the .be domain

hmm... but it seems you can do both(!?) ....which makes it embed properly here (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpVzJiarjvc&feature=youtu.be&t=1622)

um...nope, then the time doesnt work. wtf mang!

Edited by @~thehung

um...nope, then the time doesnt work. wtf mang!

Yes. My point exactly.

On other news: Alpha 3.0 is now live! Anyone with a game package can play. You will need to download the new launcher as well as the new game files, but since the launcher now includes delta patching (ie: diff) any future downloads will be more like 20 meg and not 20 gig.

it worked for me once though :/

i havent finished watching it, but good to see Skywalker, Sir Davos, and Ben Mendelsohn in it — even if ive got little time for fricken story cut scenes regardless of how well acted...

btw what did you mean by "a whole lot of disappointed people" ?

btw what did you mean by "a whole lot of disappointed people" ?

CIG had the poor judgement* to tell "everyone" (including gaming sites/mags - who then told their own audiences) that the VS would be ready on a certain day at a certain time - then one hour before showtime announced that it wouldn't be ready for another 24 hours. People took time off work for it, amongst other things.

Chris is a visionary, and follows the fine mould of many other artists: he's an uncompromising perfectionist, and thinks it's completely reasonable to expect everyone else to drop shit or hold off when or until he's ready. The results are often worth putting up with, but boy howdy does it make you grit your teeth sometimes. What's truly amazing is how many people are seem willing to let it slide; it made no difference to me, but if I'd set aside time for the event I would be pissed.

*Astoundingly, monumentally poor judgement.

Edited by Cybes

$170million just passed, on a little under 2 million backers (under $100 each).

Oh, and even if planetary orbits aren't in yet, someone just achieved a real orbit in game - ie: going sideways fast enough that falling 'down' misses the planet.

Some really nasty bugs showing their heads in this release. I wouldn't be surprised to see a point release to patch them in January.

Newest promo footage:

$177.3million, btw. Pretty damned healthy funding for one of the big publishers, let alone a crowdfunded project!

Alpha 3.1 is now on public Player Test Universe - release to Live (ie: the regular servers everyone gets without opting-in to something) is due in a week. As well as the nifty new bits and bug fixes that everyone would expect, the main focus for this release has been framerates; imo that was sorely needed - you really couldn't get a reliably playable game even on fearsome hardware out of 3.01.

Also, funding has now passed $180 million.