Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×

Star Citizen / Squadrdon 42 - a real PC game

For anyone looking at the free-fly period, and lost as to starting:

Best bet for that, btw, watch on YT, full-screen and max rez - it's beautiful.

Not anything official, but I thought you might like to see (and hear!) some of the current 3.8 alpha that the non-plebs are playing with:

In case you're wondering, the snow and ice on the screen is actually on the suit's visor - not the screen.  It melts over time from internal heat, evaporates faster with external conditions, and is entirely absent if you aren't wearing a helmet.  Mind you, if you aren't wearing a helmet at ^that particular spot and time, you have a life-span measured in minutes.

If anyone would like to see more of the new environmental effects, I can dig up a clip of the presentation from this year's Citizencon.  I haven't at this point because there's a lot in it that wouldn't interest most people (despite being very exciting for fans), and it's long.

• Like 1

Ok, so no-one asked for it, but Morph just made a vid which pretty much nails it:

Full screen, max rez - and keep your fingers near the volume control!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 2:42 AM, Cybes said:

Ok, so no-one asked for it, but Morph just made a vid which pretty much nails it:

very impressive.  wasnt that just more blizzard stuff though?  got any rain , proper? 🙂  storms seem more difficult to deal with.  plenty of games do it well, but the scaling thing... would be real nice to spot some cumulonimbi on the horizon and then fly down into a storm with lightning n shit cracking everywhere.  but holy jesus it would be a lot of processing to make that work at all angles and distances (on top of just making the static world seamless).

btw, whats with the lighting change at 3:33?  whats the source?  at first i thought it was a glitch.

i hope theres real good control over contrast in this game.  i like the hard light and crisp orthogonal 'true black' shadows cast from large distant light sources with nothing to scatter off.  seems like they are missing some diffuse scattering off parts of the craft though.  some of that would be bouncing around well enough to illuminate the stuff in shadow.  ...but then again, its a question of what is doing the seeing.  human eyes may not see that reflected light due to glare.  just the right amount would look super cool though...on a really good monitor with HDR.  but they cant design for that now can they.  they must have to constrain the latitudes a fair bit.  the difficulty is when youre standing looking at half and half an inside and outside environment.  which makes me think i would have to manually monkey around with it occasionally for that tasty space realism, especially with my shitty monitor.

Edited by @~thehung

4 hours ago, @~thehung said:

got any rain , proper?

Haven't seen or heard of any.  I know dust storms are in the works, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if rain was in there too.

5 hours ago, @~thehung said:

would be real nice to spot some cumulonimbi on the horizon and then fly down into a storm with lightning n shit cracking everywhere.  but holy jesus it would be a lot of processing to make that work at all angles and distances

Indeed it will be, and that is the stated plan.  Not quite true to life, though - even though the surface winds are modified by terrain (!), and the rain/snow/dust blows with the wind (yay!),

the weather patterns themselves don't care much, apparently.  Considering these guys past behaviour, I wouldn't be surprised if they implement that, decide it's not good enough, and rewrite it as a full dynamic fluid simulation.

btw, whats with the lighting change at 3:33?  whats the source?  at first i thought it was a glitch.

No idea.  Either something was occluding, or it really was a glitch.

i hope theres real good control over contrast in this game.

On the game's side: the lighting guys are fantastic, and sticklers for realism - Chris occasionally overrules them for the sake of playability or "rule of cool".  On the personal control side, there was last I looked an uncommonly comprehensive amount of visual quality and postprocessing control in the client.  It's been a few months (3.8 should/hopefully go live before Christmas, and I'll try again), but I've not heard any complaints about them dumbing down - and this community would.

Personally, I really am not an unbiased source in this respect - I have a great monitor which, while not actually HDR, has visually painful contrast on occasion.  eg: the sun sliding into view actually makes me squint.

• Like 1

Fan-made trailer - he thought CiG were being a bit lax keeping their promos current:

(usual recommendations for max rez and full-screen)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awdhioaw123 said:

If it isn’t successful or doesn’t come out on time, that means the whole project is in big trouble.

They've just had their 3rd month in a row of record fund raising. Even with the $200mil spent (and Chris said from the beginning that planned to spend every cent raised before release, btw), they'll have enough to keep the doors open for a little while.

It must be a releif to have that stupid Crytek lawsuit gone now, though. Even if nobody thought they had a leg to stand on, it would have been a constant drain financially.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:11 AM, awdhioaw123 said:

Fan-made trailer - he thought CiG were being a bit lax keeping their promos current:

(usual recommendations for max rez and full-screen

xPvqYT0.jpg

12 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

Yeah.  Notice 'he' also replied to himself with my post's text.  Reported it almost as soon as it happened.

Two-week old gameplay clip.  I would dearly love to watch with the sound off, but ye kinda need to know what the hell he's up to.

There's a minor version patch coming up, but not much will change (I think), and this is the current ordinary-player experience.  Almost ordinary - he has more starting cash than a fresh player would.

All captured in-game, in the regular universe (not one of the tests), by a player:

YouTube compression is doing a number on the black levels.

• Like 1