Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×

Star Citizen / Squadrdon 42 - a real PC game

I'm really liking the sounds of this game, but find it hard to part with cash when its still so far from complete. I never pre-purchase.

Coolies :)

Onya zyzzy.

Nice choices Mark. That lot made sense to me, too, cover all bases. Idris looks ultra, but was a limited thing on sale only for a couple of hours during a recent livestream.

But if the game shapes up well I'd be all for forming a death team and chipping in together to buy a bigarse ship with multiple crew slots. We can make it our stated objective to hunt down Bennett whenever he logs on. That'd be funny.

I'm really liking the sounds of this game, but find it hard to part with cash when its still so far from complete. I never pre-purchase.

Fair enough, though if I'm correct they'll have a dog fighting alpha test towards the end of this year, so it's only a few months wait to get hands on with it.

But if the game shapes up well I'd be all for forming a death team and chipping in together to buy a bigarse ship with multiple crew slots. We can make it our stated objective to hunt down Bennett whenever he logs on. That'd be funny.

lol

Yeah with those multi person ships apparently you can get AI to go in place of a players. But I read that those AI might cost to keep running? (not sure if they mean actual $ or just in game currency), another factor that stopped me getting the constellation.

But yeah, getting in a multi person ship and battling in it B-17 styles will be epic!

Well, if what you're looking for is an aussie guild with access to an Idris, the Ausmonauts have 3...

Could be a good idea. Looked them up a couple days ago and they're right into STO as well so might have even come across a few in that game. Recognize one of them from the forums already.

Here's their forum thread.

What you guys think? Judging by how big and complex the universe will be there'll probably be a benefit to joining a large fleet/guild. Someone should usually be around to have our back. (That and we might be able to get on board and check out an Idris :p )

This'll be my first space sim. I've played other space based games before but nothing like wingcommander or eve. So I've really got no idea what to expect except awesome graphics :p

I can vouch for them in STO, although I'm probably one of their more casual members. They seem like a nice enough bunch on Vent. I don't want to spam, but if people ask I can provide their website.

[edit]: If you've never played a space sim before, I'd recommend picking up some of the classics off GOG.com

Star Citizen is made by the people who made Wing Commander, so WC 3-4 (single player) and Freelancer (find a server) are probably no brainers. Freespace 1 and 2 are also great games (and IMO better than WC, although that's a VERY controversial point). They were made a bit later, and tend to be a touch more accessible. If you can, I'd recommend playing through both the Freespace franchise and WC 2-4, but any of them would be a good introduction to the space genre.

If you don't mind older games, WC1, X-Wing and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter are all brilliant; although going back to them now can be quite jarring - gameplay has evolved massively.

Edited by DaCraw

I've just posted asking to join. Have read their forums and they all seem alright. Looks like they've got a pretty big SC team going on. I was liking the idea of being a lone wolf but this looks like it will fit the game better once epic guild missions and shit start to go down.

I've just posted asking to join. Have read their forums and they all seem alright. Looks like they've got a pretty big SC team going on. I was liking the idea of being a lone wolf but this looks like it will fit the game better once epic guild missions and shit start to go down.

Cool bananas. Yeah I can see the appeal of going it alone or with a small group of friends/atomicans, but I get the feeling safety in numbers might be the smart choice. Will join up too.

You can see my post a bit further up from your post, asking about exploration. Good infos so you know what they think of it. I still intend to try the exploring thing, but I get the feeling trade and military actions will be the order of the day?

EDIT: Also if anyone wants to get life time insurance on the ships/packages they buy, veteran backers you trust can help you with getting LTI up until November through the hanger gifting system. So there's still time if you're unsure to jump in.

Edited by mark84

Yeah saw that post Mark. I too anticipate long periods of lovely lonely deep space exploration. Signing onto that guild now seems right tho, they're a pretty decent bunch and the way the organise their Trek stuff is very impressive.

If it doesn't work out once the game is out and I have a better feel for the mechanics I'll go solo, but this is a very large group so I don't expect everyone will have to follow objectives all the time.

e: oh and thanks for the tips about them DaCraw!

Edited by Flouncy

Woo hoo!

Pilots 77 and 78. Look out cosmos! 'Erad' - nice Sci-Fi version :} One day next year you'll be out in deep space and a message will come through from me "I HAS TEH ARTAFACT! I ALSO HAS TEH PIRATES CHASING ME HELP HELP HELP!". And then 500 Austronauts will come running to my aid. Oh what fun.

Yeah Mark, I would like to get LTI on a Freelancer a little further down the track. Dunno how to go about it, I will post on here when I am good to purchase it I guess.

lololol

With pirates chasing you I fully expect to see your F1 racing reflexes translate into some awesome blockade runs in that M50 of yours at some stage ;P

@Ghost, from what I understand the process goes like this:

You buy the Freelancer/whatever package > gift it to myself, flounce or other veteran/original backer you trust > they "melt" the package down for store credits of same value > they re purchase the same package with the credits (which attaches LTI to it) > gift you back the package now with LTI included.

EDIT: Also, for those that may have missed it the Constellation in the game engine.

Between now and November, I am quite likely to crack and accidentally buy one of those...

Edited by mark84

lololol

With pirates chasing you I fully expect to see your F1 racing reflexes translate into some awesome blockade runs in that M50 of yours at some stage ;P

@Ghost, from what I understand the process goes like this:

You buy the Freelancer/whatever package > gift it to myself, flounce or other veteran/original backer you trust > they "melt" the package down for store credits of same value > they re purchase the same package with the credits (which attaches LTI to it) > gift you back the package now with LTI included.

EDIT: Also, for those that may have missed it the Constellation in the game engine.

Between now and November, I am quite likely to crack and accidentally buy one of those...

Yeah i have been tempted to get one as well Erad. Shame the Aussie dollar is on the skids at the moment. Another tip if you do buy is not to use Star Citizens Stipe service as it could cost you 40 to 50 dollars more for the ship. paypal all the way.

Totally awesome. Can't wait for the Alpha to open!!

Are there any other Australian guilds around? I looked in the RSI site but the guild list is pretty huge! I'm not real keen on throwing my name on the recruitment thread to be snapped up by anyone. Is the Ausmonauts guild any good? How many of you signed up to it? I'm new to space sims so not real sure how to start out here, I just know this game is gonna be tremendous :) I have played a little x3 but I understand there are other games that will be closer to reflecting star citizen?

I have an aurora and a freelancer in my hangar and have access to the alpha. I'll be classed as a supply merchant and doing a little dabbling in exploration and merc jobs :)

Edited by ugotdan

Totally awesome. Can't wait for the Alpha to open!!

Are there any other Australian guilds around? I looked in the RSI site but the guild list is pretty huge! I'm not real keen on throwing my name on the recruitment thread to be snapped up by anyone. Is the Ausmonauts guild any good? How many of you signed up to it? I'm new to space sims so not real sure how to start out here, I just know this game is gonna be tremendous :) I have played a little x3 but I understand there are other games that will be closer to reflecting star citizen?

I have an aurora and a freelancer in my hangar and have access to the alpha. I'll be classed as a supply merchant and doing a little dabbling in exploration and merc jobs :)

Hey ugotdan.

The Ausmonauts at the moment have signed 86 Pilots for Star Citizen. If you sign up you would be 87. We have been around for just over 2 years and most of us have known each other longer than that. I will leave the decision up to you as to whether you join or not. It maybe possible for the Ausmonauts to reach a couple of hundred pilots by the time the game launches next year. As for practice, I have been playing around with VTOLS to try and simulate what the Hornet might be like. I also forgot to mention that the Ausmonauts have 6 Idris Corvettes.

The main goal with the information we have, is for the Ausmonauts to secure a planet of our own in LOSEC space that boarders our Allies. Our Allies will be able to cover all time zones, with an attack on us being an attack on all them. The Alliance stands at around 400 pilots.

Feel free to check out the website ugotdan. At the moment it is primarily Star trek Online stuff. However, It is starting to get substantial Star Citizen information gathered.

Cheers

Doull

Hey ugotdan.

The Ausmonauts at the moment have signed 86 Pilots for Star Citizen. If you sign up you would be 87. We have been around for just over 2 years and most of us have known each other longer than that. I will leave the decision up to you as to whether you join or not. It maybe possible for the Ausmonauts to reach a couple of hundred pilots by the time the game launches next year. As for practice, I have been playing around with VTOLS to try and simulate what the Hornet might be like. I also forgot to mention that the Ausmonauts have 6 Idris Corvettes.

The main goal with the information we have, is for the Ausmonauts to secure a planet of our own in LOSEC space that boarders our Allies. Our Allies will be able to cover all time zones, with an attack on us being an attack on all them. The Alliance stands at around 400 pilots.

Feel free to check out the website ugotdan. At the moment it is primarily Star trek Online stuff. However, It is starting to get substantial Star Citizen information gathered.

Cheers

Doull

Cheers Doull, I've created an account and will have a squizz around over the next few days :)

Ive got the pathfinder LTI package, but im worried im going to hate the game and that ive actually paid $75 for a game that might be something that i dont want to play at the end of the day. I love freelancer, but hate Eve for example, and seeing all the info out on it so far, its starting to appear like a eve clone to me, i hate all games with forced pvp or with no complete opt-out; take eve for eg: wondering into LoSec zones alone will get you killed if your not careful (just a matter of time), now getting killed by itself doesn't worry me, losing my ship permanently does (as insurance doesn't cover you out in the unknown or losec according to info available, subject to change of course). however one could argue you dont have to leave HiSec space if you dont want to risk everything, thats not the point, eve has 1 server and everything pretty much goes like it or not, freelancer style was: create your own server, be it pve/pvp/mixed, dont want pvp, never join a pvp server, problem solved. So if that gameplay mechanic makes it into the finial product without a full pvp opt-out (be it freelance style or however they want to implement it), i wont play at all, ill just sell the account or ship for my money back.

Dont suppose there are any others here who aren't interested in the pvp side of things like myself and just want to go out and explore with the probability of stumbling into something awesome with a chance of finding something worth alot of $$ without worrying about someone trying to grief you on purpose for no other reason then they can.

Dont suppose there are any others here who aren't interested in the pvp side of things like myself and just want to go out and explore with the probability of stumbling into something awesome with a chance of finding something worth alot of $$ without worrying about someone trying to grief you on purpose for no other reason then they can.

That is almost exactly what I want. And also much the same as my arguments about online gaming, as well.

Me too. That's how I plan to spend a big chunk of time playing, though I'm totally open if the game mechanics offer a variety of stuff that's cool to do. I mean - I KNOW there will be tonnes of other stuff to do - I'm just keeping an open mind and will give everything a shot.

I'm also with the Ausmonauts and that whole guild life thing is absolutely fascinating. I've never been part of a large scale thing like this before and the guild's goal of taking and holding a system sounds ultra cool, so with all that I'll be a happy little soldier doing whatever it takes to support all that.

And yeah, my biggest fear with being an explorer is being way out alone when some pirate tard swoops in and fucks me up. Maybe we can have explorer squads, all sticking together or at least close by as we sweep through deep space.

I think the devs are trying to keep the game as "balanced" as possible. It's really quite a feat if you think about it. There are players from all walks of life online in the game. Guilds are being created with differing alignments and I'm sure there will be thousands of lone wolves as well on both sides. I think this will be the ultimate "star wars" type universe where the scales will tip this way, then that way, and rarely there will be the threat of the ultimate "take over the universe" plot with uprisings and such. I also think the PVP and PVE issues will be relative to your locations and character class really. Just like in real life. If you want safety, join a guild and play within the controlled lawful space. There will still be plenty to do, trading, racing, exploring in groups, jobs etc. on the other hand, if you're Looking for PVP, become a merc or join a militant guild, or go lone wolf with mates, or become part of a pirate clan! I guess you could set yourself up in a pirate clan and be a merchant for them if you get a name for yourself? There will be all sorts of things going on in between guilds, good vs bad, trading, exploring, sabotage, espionage, bla bla. You're imagination and hard work will define how far you get in the game, and which way the universe will end up! The only thing preventing you from playing PVE is how you set yourself up in the game. If you're worried about losing your LTI ship, don't use it for exploring, use its speed to transport goods or passengers or its scanners to work for miners and make some credits to pick up another expendable explorer. Just think outside the box a little. I have an aurora to learn with and fool around with mods, and I have a freelancer to trade with and make some credits to fund any other ships I want to play with. I won't be doing anything that will jeopardize the LTI with these so Ill always have something to fall back on :) just take some time and talk with others to figure out how you can get what you want out of the game, that's what the devs are trying to make, a dynamic universe that responds to every little action that is performed within it! Kind of like our own lives/universe. Amazing :)