Star Citizen / Squadrdon 42 - a real PC game

So I pledged the digital scout level back when this was on kickstarter.

Just looking now at game packages and what I can buy from there.

Is it worth grabbing one of the more expensive packages now?

Not really, you don't get additional copy's of the game or the perks, such as multiple maps/usbkeys/models etc.

you can buy additional ships separately for alittle less then the ship+package though if you want something bigger or different.

just saw todays update, in-game/webstore, in-hanger buggy for $20....

it should be standard for hangers with 4+ ships or those the pledged a package higher then $100, i know they are trying to raise more funds to make a better game, but damn there asking alot for something so little.

Right so I should look at what one of these other packages offer and then add up the individual costs of the items vs buying them as a package.

As the digital scout package, which is the lowest package doesn't come with even a map

Edited by PointZeroOne

Yep the buggy is a bit silly, and the price sillier still. As one genius on the SC forums put it: "Star Citizen now has its Horse Armour."

So checked out the hanger, I'm having a wall glitch out which makes for an interesting effect.

Also, just looking at the packages, since I've got the scout package and I would like some more things...the physical Freelancer pack looks pretty good.

Yeah the Freelancer looks like a great general cruising around funky all purpose ship. I got one, my fleet seemed incomplete without one.

They should be hitting the $17 Mil mark pretty soon!

EDIT: $17 mil has been achieved

Some pics from my Business hanger:

Shot 1

Shot 2

Shot 3

Shot 4

It's all rather simple in what you can do but it's a nice taste of whats to come. Despite the lower than native res (hence the windowed mode I used to get a feel for how it should look) you can tell the textures and models have great potential to buff up well when they get things sorted.

The Auroras visibility from the cockpit is great, almost half spherical field of view. 315p has great unobstructed vision forwards and up. Hornet, unsure of, can't or don't know how to retract canopy to test visibility. Freelancer is quite restrictive, narrow band vision with large pillars, won't be good in dog fights I suspect.

I know it's 'alpha' - but it's a single room. With the most basic conceivable geometry. Holding one or a handful of relatively simple objects which just sit there. And no apparent even remotely sophisticated lighting.

Not even alpha, Pre alpha. Roberts has said this isn't even something he'd ever show investors or publishers.

Task manager showed max 2.93gb usage in game, but thats in the discount hanger with only the 315p ship, i wouldn't been too concerned unless your in business or delux with 4+ ships

Interesting. Mine only shows as using 820MB, 1080p with max settings in business hanger with 4 ships plus buggy... *shrug*

Connection timed out'.

Yeah, I've not managed to get on at all.

I couldn't get on at all yesterday and early this morning.

They've since released a patch and have commissioned 32 more authentication servers, so you should be able to get in easy now.

Edited by mark84

So checked out the hanger, I'm having a wall glitch out which makes for an interesting effect.

Also, just looking at the packages, since I've got the scout package and I would like some more things...the physical Freelancer pack looks pretty good.

you can always "melt" your scout package, which is a fancy way saying refunded for store credit, then purchase the freelancer pack for the remaining balance.

edit: freelancer LTI package = $140 or digital freelancer LTI = $125

Interesting. Mine only shows as using 820MB, 1080p with max settings in business hanger with 4 ships plus buggy... *shrug*

It might be due to it loading everything up at 1024x768 @ high, me running around opening things up, then changing the res to 1920x1080 @ low, then medium; high; testing Fps performance, being pre-alpha code, they could of just loaded all the assets with each change at the higher res, but not unload the now redundant textures/assets still in memory resulting in almost 3gb ram usage?

Edited by nobodyishere

you can always "melt" your scout package, which is a fancy way saying refunded for store credit, then purchase the freelancer pack for the remaining balance.

edit: freelancer LTI package = $140 or digital freelancer LTI = $125

I'm seeing the freelancer LTI package for $125...

The Freelancer cockpit view is prob the big issue right now on the SC forums. Everyone hates it. I hate it :) Many mockups posted of possible fixes by the community. Needs to be fixed, is silly.

Digital freelancer or not?

thats what it shows for me, but im not an original kickstarter backer, so prices may be a tad more expensive for me, i know the price is up for those who arnt veteran backers.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Finally managed to jump into my Constellation today. It's nice, but I can't work out how to get into the turret. I hope there's a good deal of optimisation left, as it max's out 2GB video memory.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Digital freelancer or not?

thats what it shows for me, but im not an original kickstarter backer, so prices may be a tad more expensive for me, i know the price is up for those who arnt veteran backers.

that's for the physical pack for freelancer, digital is $110.

Yeah I'm a "veteran backer"

that's for the physical pack for freelancer, digital is $110.

Yeah I'm a "veteran backer"

here is how i see it:

note the price difference of digital and physical vs the price you see when logged in

Posted Image

and for anyone signing up now, its the same, sans LTI insurance

Posted Image

Edited by nobodyishere

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Constellation motherfuckers!

Posted Image

Nice one xyzzy!

I must get a hanger invite from you when they enable friends to come to hangers :)

17 Million post from Roberts

Of note:

I do agree that pricing structure feels off – part of that is the problem of a blend of real world prices (cosmetic items to show support had been established at $5) and the in-game prices we need to manage. One of the other things we have been focusing on is the idea that the pledge or add on ship you opt for now should be cheaper in real money terms than its equivalent in UEC when the game is live, so the few weapons have been priced to our best guess as to what these should be relative to the actual in-game costs of a ship once the game is live. This leads to a dichotomy in value – of course a poster should be a lot less than a laser gun! It also doesn’t help that we’ve established an exchange of 1000 UEC to $1. 5000 UEC for a poster just sounds a lot more than $5! I am inclined to halve the prices in the Voyager Direct Store, with some of the smaller flair pieces, like posters getting a reduction even beyond this.

Be sure to follow link and place your vote regarding Voyager Direct

$19 Mil goals revealed

$19 million

- Know your foe with a Jane’s Fighting Ships style manual free in PDF form to all pledgers.

- Manage Space Stations – Players will compete to own and operate a limited number of space stations across the galaxy.

- RSI Museum will air monthly, with a new game featured each time!

Unsure what that last one means...

EDIT:

Looks like Ep1 of RSI Museum was already out! Answers that question then

so was expecting min business class hanger.

Just found these:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/27...pgrade-business

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/27...-deluxe-upgrade

Edited by mark84

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Nice one xyzzy!

I must get a hanger invite from you when they enable friends to come to hangers :)

For sure man, likewise!

not sure if everybody still follows this game daily, but currently they have the Drake Interplanetary Caterpillar (with LTI) spaceship up for sale for a limited time (supposdly monday in USA) for a wallet devouring $225ea.

Yeah I'm still checking em out each day for any new snippet of awesome news.

BTW patch 4 released today. Patch up and check out whats new.

The cat looks really nice. It's right up there with the constellation in terms or size and crew requirements, not to mention price.

Apparently the crew pod might detach? Has "escape engines".

Posted Image

Edited by mark84

So, finally got my own arse into gear and signed up. That's one more Freelancer flying those friendly space-lanes!