Star Citizen / Squadrdon 42 - a real PC game

Arena Commander is GO!

Been watching the hype train and jumped on in the past week. It's been a fun ride.

I never thought I'd be tempted to get a virtual ship, but with Lance Henrikson doing the narration, I might be tempted.

This is very well done, great editing, and a great showcase of the ship in question.

Now that was cool!

Apart from the human model, any other part of that is far superior to Babylon 5. Anyone with the motivation to do a little machinma is going to be in heaven.

I almost bought a freelancer based off that commercial :P

Then I realised I've spent enough on this game that I can't play yet..... :(

I'm in the process of signing up, getting a ship, etc. This looks like it's going to be a VERY, VERY, VEEEEERRRRRRRRRY expensive game. Tell me if I'm missing something, like, I don't know, the part where USD in the store are actually worth 5 cents in real life. Cause if not, I'm shocked. There are game packages here for ten thousand USD! Given, that is the most expensive one, but that's only because the fifteen thousand dollar pack has SOLD OUT!!!!! Individual ships range fro $30 to $275. Then there's insurance, add on's, upgrades. At a minimum, this game is going to cost into the high hundreds of dollars, thousands of dollars if you want to really get into it. To be honest, it's put me right off. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars playing a game, and I equally don't want to play with the dinkiest little ship that is available. But once again, tell me if I'm missing something. Cause I feel like I'm missing something.

Edit. Ok, now I'm starting to get pissed. The CHEAPEST, I say again, CHEAPEST multi-ship pack is $1,500 USD! Fifteen hundred US fucking dollars!!!!!! That's for three ships. Wow! But don't worry, that comes with a year of insurance! Fuck me running! I am beyond shocked! I feel like this is a new low for gaming. How is it that you can spend $1500 to play a game, then a year down the track you need to spend more money to insure your ships again. That is assuming that you didn't also spend more money upgrading your ships during that year. And lets face it, you probably did. Then you can also choose to pay either $10 or $20 a month on top of all that to "subscribe" and get stuff the people who only spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to play don't get! What the fucking, fucking, fucking fuck???!!!

What I'd really like is the Fleet Pack. $2,700. How is this possible? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

The sad thing is, I'm still probably going to play the shit out of this game, with multiple ships. I literally just spent $1700 building a new PC to play this game on. $700 on a new monitor. Just looking at the prices of the ships I want ( three ships ), before hanger upgrades, before insurance, I'm looking at over $500. I still haven't bought a flight stick. Maybe I'll just force myself to say no. No, fuck this game! Because there is an overwhelmingly large desire to say fuck this game.

Edited by disolusiond

I'm sure someone will come along and jump down my throat on anything I get wrong here, but anyway...

I feel you're looking at things wrong. You don't need to buy the ships with real money. You can/will (for the most part) be able to get them in game via playing. You could just buy the base game at release, play through and unlock the ships and never spend another cent. You're paying (to win perhaps) for the convenience to have certain ships with certain setups already unlocked at the start. The packages also aren't easy to come by ships. You're buying rare and end game ships with those. You could slap down ~$130 and have three ships, you just won't be able to wave your epenis around in front of people with them.

You don't have to insure your ships. It could perhaps make it a far more exciting game if you don't. What you're perhaps missing there is those that backed and bought ships early enough got lifetime insurance on those particular ships as a sort of a thank you for backing early. Again though, nothing you wouldn't be able to do in game anyway, just a little more Pay2Win to bypass some content and let you be a little more reckless with what you have.

Ok. See, I did not get that you can earn the ships through game play. This calms me down quite a bit. If people want to pay $15,000 to back the game, and have the means to do so, then bully for them. I applaud them for their commitment to the game. I have the money to buy the fleet pack if I really wanted to. There is no way in hell I'm spending almost three grand on a game, but I would like to. I was thinking that this was the only way to get ships, which enraged me somewhat. Now that I know that's not the case I may just buy the Freelancer to support the game, then play for the rest.

Well I now own the Freelancer Max and the Hornet F7C+. I made a mistake when signing up and purchased the Freelancer Max for $140, thinking I was buying the game package, when in fact I was only buying the extra cargo space version of the Freelancer. So then I had to buy the Hornet F7C game package, too. That's cool. I wanted a fighter and a cargo option and I'm happy to pay $300 to play the game.

Yeah, you don't need much to just play the game. I've got a 315p I bought to get into the game and a Xian Scout which I sort of regret impulse buying into, but oh well.

Yeah, you don't need much to just play the game. I've got a 315p I bought to get into the game and a Xian Scout which I sort of regret impulse buying into, but oh well.

Yeah, I was just looking at my hanger then, and I could have refunded my Freelancer Max for store credit and purchased the Freelancer game package with that. Oh well. As I said, I was more than happy to pay $300 for the game, and now I have both the cargo and fighter classes that I wanted. Though, I may return the Max and get the DUR instead. Not sure. So many possibilities. Still, it's going to be one of those games that I'll need to restrain myself from just going apeshit. Lots to spend if you wanted to. Edited by disolusiond

All I can say is

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE SQ42 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Edited by justo316

Hello Atomic citizens.

If the followoing post is not allowed on your forums. Please delete it and burn me in hell.

On Friday the 31st of October 2014, 12.30pm next door to the PAX event Melbourne. There is a private BBQ being attended By Chris Roberts, Sandi Gardiner, Erin Roberts, Travis Day, plus a few others (To be confirmed, No wingman sigh)

The event is legitimate and has taken many hours of work to put together. Tickets for the private BBQ are $8.41 (7 dollars for the ticket and $1.41 for booking fee by the event company) Tickets are limited to 190 and there are about 150 left.

So if you live in Melbourne or are going down to visit PAX and have backed Star Citizen. Get a ticket an share a beer with the CIG devs. Note, you must have a ship package for Star Citizen in order to attend. This may change if there are tickets left over.

Here is a link to the official forum thread here

To purchase tickets the link is here

I hope to see some of you guys and girls there for a once in a life time oportunity. If I have broken your forum rules, I am sorry

Cheers

Doull

Here is a link to the official forum thread here

To purchase tickets the link is here

Doesn't seem to check about your Star Citizen package, etc. Well, $8.5 wasted, at the worst.

Hey Tickets are sold out.

If you bought one. You will need to have your Star Citizen ID card.. or a print out of your citizen profile from the RSI website, if you do not have a card. This will be needed + plus your ticket for entry.

I have my copper ID card? And my other bits. So guess I'll have a bbq with the CIG team. Neat. Can I pressure them as to feature bloat and release dates and ensuring that a sharp product with a detailed roadmap is better than a bloated product with semi-functionality? >.> Not that I'm worried or anything.

I have my copper ID card? And my other bits. So guess I'll have a bbq with the CIG team. Neat. Can I pressure them as to feature bloat and release dates and ensuring that a sharp product with a detailed roadmap is better than a bloated product with semi-functionality? >.> Not that I'm worried or anything.

Your Copper Card will be fine. If you get time with the other 190 folks who will be wanting to talk to Chris and the crew in the 3 hours that we have with them. :P

Got the game a few days ago, haven't played it tho, waiting for my computer to be fixed (don't worry, I didn't pay for a game I couldn't play yet, I got it as a free offer with my graphics card).

For anyone (like me - a laptop just won't cut it) who has not been actually playing the dribs and drabs of stuff as it is released, you might like to see how things are coming along. This is the dogfight module:

You really should put that on max rez and fullscreen. Seriously.

I need to find about ten grand to blow on system and peripherals that will do justice to this game. :I

Edited by Cybes

Yeah that's what I hear as well and I'm not surprised and to be honest it doesn't bother me at all, a universe of this fidelity and density is going to come at a price ans that cost will be HD space and a computer that can run it at an acceptable level.

My FSX install is over a 100Gb so I know what thats like and hard drives aren't that expense so bring it i say :)

For anyone who was thinking they'd kinda puttered out, stuff is still happening, and very impressive stuff it is too. Watch ^that in the best rez you have and full-screen.