Star Citizen / Squadrdon 42 - a real PC game

So there's this incredible PC game in the works called Star Citizen... you may have heard of it or even read Atomic's piece on it (Now this is the game we've been waiting for) but if you don't know about it- you need to.

Official website

It's a space sim that has both an offline storyline and an online component that is slightly MMO (instance based). It's been made solely with the PC in mind, runs on a heavily custom-modified version of CryEngine 3 and completely ignores the needs of even next gen consoles. Apparently there are 100,000 polygons for character models, 300,000 for average ships and about 7,000,000 for massive ship carriers. If you need some convincing, take a look at this real-time, in-engine trailer: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

It's a crowd funded game and has already hit its goal, but ever-increasing funds are allowing it to bring in new features and polish. Last year I got all excited about it reaching a $3 million stretch total in funding, but as of October 25 it's sitting on top of 25 fully-crowdfunded million dollars. With a release in late 2014/early 2015, that total is only going to increase as new fans join the excitement and existing backers donate more money for rewards.

While the game neither operates on a subscription system or a 'pay to win' system, it does operate on a 'pay to unlock stuff faster' system. It will be a single purchase like Guild Wars and Secret World. Purchasing things with real-world cash will only net you things like ordinary game cash (no 'Premium Coin' nonsense like in Farmville games). Purchasing ships now as an early-backer however will give you bonuses like free ship insurance instead of paid insurance, a free hangar to park your ship and the ability to fly/see your ship in-game before the game is released.

Game Demo!: The Hangar Module

The game is still in pre-alpha, but if you have at least the basic $30 game package you can view your ship in-engine and walk around poking at things. It's essentially a digital 'show room' of all the ship rewards you have purchased. Dogfighting/flying-around alpha comes this month or the next.

Oh and yes, I'm ******* excited for this :)

StarCitizen_screen.jpg

s_72e18c3e65a9411fbfa546c76ced11b5.jpg

starcitizennews.jpg

http://hackerbot.net/fps/plus/350-star-wars-battlefront-swbf

Edit: Can't believe it's been a year since this all started. This thread didn't get too much traction back then, but obviously some pertinent edits are due in November 2013 :) Oh when just $3 million seemed so lofty...

I still dont beilieve that this game will ever be released.

Also the hype has literally died down and the game probably still a year or two from release^^

Got the game a few days ago, haven't played it tho, waiting for my computer to be fixed (don't worry, I didn't pay for a game I couldn't play yet, I got it as a free offer with my graphics card).

scratching_head.jpg

I got a look at a free preview the other day... I knew this machine wasn't up to playing FO4 satisfactorily, but geez. SC made a whole 4 or 5 fps on this thing.

I mean, it looked gorgeous, but there was no way I could do that. I stuck it out long enough to crawl through a few ships activating various things, but the idea of actually playing was laughable.

I got a look at a free preview the other day... I knew this machine wasn't up to playing FO4 satisfactorily, but geez. SC made a whole 4 or 5 fps on this thing.

I mean, it looked gorgeous, but there was no way I could do that. I stuck it out long enough to crawl through a few ships activating various things, but the idea of actually playing was laughable.

Time to fire up youtube then and watch someone else play. :P

Just fell over this on my YT feed. I could cheerfully throttle the hosts, but the news itself was at least of passing interest.

So 100 miIllion for an Alpha release? :)

Might still be a fun game when it comes out.....unless all the crowdfunders get geared up to the teeth before everyone else. :)

So 100 miIllion for an Alpha release? :)

Might still be a fun game when it comes out.....unless all the crowdfunders get geared up to the teeth before everyone else. :)

They might have battleship hulls (for the extreme end of supporter package), but they still have to fit them out. And unless they've got a good team to pilot and gun the beast, they're still toast.

I thought most AAA big games cost 100 million or more on average .. I might be wrong ... ?

Highlights: Damage system, and planet landing. Oooohhh, mmyyy...!

Er...brb. I need to change my pants.

i have been staying away from this game waiting for it to get a bit further along but dam its looking good now

should be a good vr title to sink my teeth into with a new system in the coming year\years

Edited by Dasa

i have been staying away from this game waiting for it to get a bit further along but dam its looking good now

I'm on an ageing non-gaming laptop, and my framerates with it atm ... Well, it's a very beautiful slideshow. And, according to the forums, the persistent universe part is pretty much capped at 30fps with dips well below that, no matter what your hardware is, because its the servers bottlenecking. However, a bit of optimisation, some netcode rewrites (they know it sucks - they're working on it), and me getting better stuff, and all should be sweet. ;)

Oddly enough, the 'ordinary' multiplayer arena is a lot quicker and smoother.

Squadron42 - the single player module - is supposed to drop sometime in the latter half of this year. That was also said for '14 and '15, though, so...grain of salt. Meantime, you can actually see new items going up in the shops. Listening to the the releases in Around the Verse from the various teams around the world, the guys (especially the German team*) are working like manic stock traders on speed.

(*Listening to their "this week, we did..." segment in last episode was like most people's yearly itinerary!)

And, just because... Here's the cheapest ship on the market currently: the P-52 Merlin

Obxydd8.png

SIHaPTI.png

I'd have used my real ship, but I just upgraded it to the new Prospector, and it's not in hangar yet. ;p

Edited by Cybes

should be a good vr title to sink my teeth into with a new system in the coming year\years

Yeah, second reply to the same post. I figured you might like to see what YOU would see if you jumped into the game right now, even if it's somewhat rushed.

OK, so this is not (in any way) representative of anything currently in the game except the model shapes and colours, I should just stress that right off the bat. However, it's also priceless:

Current state of gameplay - in 4K - with everything at current max. This dude must have some godly hardware, in addition to a fat pipe at a good time of day (the servers are most of the limiting factor for most people, atm).

• Like 1

Snapshot for state of dev at the moment, specifically looking at wrecked capships:

https://youtu.be/ZNV-Y5hauZ0?t=19m18s

(WTF is with YT link embedding atm? I can't make that work at all, so just click the damn link!)

Edited by Cybes

Looks like it only works on actual youtube.* URLs. Also ignores supplied time index.

[ media ] or [ youtube ] tags don't seem to help either.

Looks like it only works on actual youtube.* URLs. Also ignores supplied time index.

Mm. But that *was* a YT url, since I copy/pasted from their own link field. And it was specifically the wreck I was pointing to, not the whole ep.

But, yeah... :p Thanks anyway, Rybags.

so whats the status of this thing then?

yeah, i could go to the site but i am asking here. coz long ago it became too frustrating to keep following this thing.

are we getting closer to the release of a release date any time soon? is Chris Roberts just a scammer? what are your hopes and fears?

• Like 1

so whats the status of this thing then?

Just had a spectacular live demo, apparently. I'll dig up some clips and so on when I have more than a phone to play with.

well, holy shit — i got curious and found this brutal and exhaustive teardown:

Star Citizen - The Fidelity Of Failure | Smart Speak

when i posted above i was recalling wry jokes from a while back (eg. "Star Citizen Admirer's Manual" = SCAM) which i thought to be largely good-natured in reference to delays and the ballooning funding total, but if even a fraction of that utterly compelling rant is accurate the project is FUBAR!

:(

when i posted above i was recalling wry jokes from a while back (eg. "Star Citizen Admirer's Manual" = SCAM) which i thought to be largely good-natured in reference to delays and the ballooning funding total, but if even a fraction of that utterly compelling rant is accurate the project is FUBAR!

You really need to pay attention to who is talking: Derek Smart, in this case. This guy is a certifiable fucktard, who has been bignoting his own 'games' and denegrating everyone else since at least 1992 (which is when I first saw him active, on usenet newsgroups). He's also singlehandedly responsible for Sandi Gardener, Marketing VP for CIG, 'retiring' from social media - after ignoring the restraining order she had taken out against him.

No, SC is very far from fubar. It is, in fact, outstripping the expectations of even some of the most ardent fanboys. If you're interested, the entire 90-odd minute Gamescom presentation is available on YouTube:

(Edit: Oh, so now it wants to embed the video again. Fine!)

And whilst there are indeed still some things that need addressing, that had people who'd bitched for a refund bitching to buy back in.

Edit 2: BTW, just in case you would like a little more light on Derek Smart: https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4w0w51/has_doctor_doctor_smart_gone_over_the_line/d63aej5

Edited by Cybes
  • Like 1

hmm well, it was going to go one way or the other wasnt it? :) coz only a certifiable fucktard would be that motivated to distort the truth LOL

then again, some context on Derek here:

"...Smart has some valid points. Star Citizen is late. It is blowing out with feature creep, taking it far from the core game that won it praise in the first place.

Most concerning of all, the veil is being lifted on allegedly alarming workflow practices at CIG" — Ben Mansill

hehe...to be fair though, the article includes an update from Ben several months later in Jan 2016 in which he cites developments that had allayed some of his doubts.

Whee! Nice little drop for the 2.6 launch and 4th Anniversary show: Only seven videos. ( !! ) Rather than giving a bunch of links, I'm just going to give you one - the Star Citizen channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/videos . That way, you can look at whatever takes your fancy.

Please do take care to note the play times before you choose any, because the pre-show and livestream clips are almost and just over 2 hours each. O.O The others are much more reasonable.

Anyone who's been kinda following, but more interested in the FPS aspect will want to check out the Star Marine review, especially.