Star Citizen / Squadrdon 42 - a real PC game

^Little info piece just released from another Aussie backer on how to buy into SC (assuming you want to) for as little as possible. Also, the probable best way to do it, which is only slightly more.

The Alpha 2.6 patch just dropped, and now there's a trailer for it (do yourself a favour and maximise window and rez):

That's all in-game footage, rendered at actual play rates - not everything-maxed-and-2fps.

• Like 1

The Alpha 2.6 patch just dropped, and now there's a trailer for it (do yourself a favour and maximise window and rez):

That's all in-game footage, rendered at actual play rates - not everything-maxed-and-2fps.

Man, that does look sweet! Rather unlikely to ever play, but it sure makes a compelling argument!

Man, that does look sweet! Rather unlikely to ever play, but it sure makes a compelling argument!

If you look back to the start of this thread, you'll see I was very skeptical of this game at first. I was convinced by (that's "before", not "because of") 2.4. There are 'free fly weekend's fairly frequently, so if you want to have a look without committing, there's your chance.

Christmas sales are on ATM.

Edit: Added parenthetical clarification. I bought into it in October 2015, according to my records.

Edited by Cybes

Something a little different this time... This (longish) video is centred on Star Citizen, but you can take something out of this that applies to just about every game.

Yeah, I know - 27 minutes. But I thought it was worth it, enough so to link it here. Give it a shot.

A quick look back at progress of SC over the entirety of 2016:

Looking forward to developments for this year.

^Alpha 3.0, currently scheduled for release in August.

Netcode still sucks, and players-per-server limits are still woeful, but those are lagging rather than totally neglected: they're scheduled for 3.1.

Is the longest game to ever be made?

Hardly. It's just all in public, so people get to see all the mis-steps, design changes, and hangups.

So far it's 5 years from concept. Skyrim was 7, I believe [Edit: I was mistaken - it was 4. However, point stands.] - and this will be a MUCH more complex game.

Edited by Cybes

Hardly. It's just all in public, so people get to see all the mis-steps, design changes, and hangups.

So far it's 5 years from concept. Skyrim was 7, I believe [Edit: I was mistaken - it was 4. It was GTA-V that was 7. However, point stands.] - and this will be a MUCH more complex game.

So far it's 5 years from concept. Skyrim was 7, I believe [Edit: I was mistaken - it was 4. However, point stands.] - and this will be a MUCH more complex game.

So you don't think they've become a bit too ambitious and gotten caught up with so much feature creep that they're constantly behind schedule?

I personally think the FPS element was unnecessary.

So you don't think they've become a bit too ambitious and gotten caught up with so much feature creep that they're constantly behind schedule?

I've been only been watching the release plotter casually since they made it public early this year, but so far pretty much all the targets have been met on or before estimate, and those that have slipped have had good reason for doing so and a revised estimate that was (usually) right.

The big problem is that they seem, from my POV anyway, to be tackling things kinda backward: they keep releasing ships, with planets and mission givers now appearing but core functionality like netcode and economy still in the distance; whereas I would have thought those things would be fundamental and worry about the pretty stuff later. Of course, being crowd funded, they have to keep the money coming, and that comes from people buying ships. :p

not a good comparison but

Duke Nukem Forever spent fifteen years in development, from 1996 to 2011

No, that's really not a good comparison! :)

Daikatana? ;) (Fuck, I hope not!)

I've been only been watching the release plotter casually since they made it public early this year, but so far pretty much all the targets have been met on or before estimate, and those that have slipped have had good reason for doing so and a revised estimate that was (usually) right.

The big problem is that they seem, from my POV anyway, to be tackling things kinda backward: they keep releasing ships, with planets and mission givers now appearing but core functionality like netcode and economy still in the distance; whereas I would have thought those things would be fundamental and worry about the pretty stuff later. Of course, being crowd funded, they have to keep the money coming, and that comes from people buying ships. :p

Well you can say so better than I.

Yes that is the problem with the crowd funding and that is why they've received lots of skepticism as to their true intentions and whether or not it is a huge hoax, just making content to sell without being able to even use it. And because these are all donations, they really need to be looking at fulfilling those promises instead of deciding they want to add something more complex to the game.. and then making more stuff to sell. Just my opinion.

... whether or not it is a huge hoax, just making content to sell without being able to even use it.

Well, that is one complaint you can lay to ŕst immediately: you can use *everything* mow coming onstream. It's some of the older ships that are still vapour.

Look, the project MIGHT fail, but everyone involved in it is genuinely trying to do something incredible. The results so far, even as broken and incomplete as they are at this point, are better than some completed games - if you play on a low-pop server. And the techniques developed for it will have repurcussions in future games all over the place for years to come.

Truly, you need to give one of the free-fly weekends a shot. Given it's a *big* download though, you may want to hold off for 3.0 to drop.

Truly, you need to give one of the free-fly weekends a shot. Given it's a *big* download though, you may want to hold off for 3.0 to drop.

Haha... I'm not sure my system could even run it mate. Besides which, I don't want to try incase I get addicted to it.

• Like 1

Haha... I'm not sure my system could even run it mate. Besides which, I don't want to try incase I get addicted to it.

I'm on a 3yo i7 laptop - very much not a gaming rig. It's still barely usable. ;) A bit more graphics power than the nVidia GT 745M would be nice.

The addiction factor might be a fair cop, though.

I'm on a 3yo i7 laptop - very much not a gaming rig. It's still barely usable. ;) A bit more graphics power than the nVidia GT 745M would be nice.

The addiction factor might be a fair cop, though.

I'm a big fan of the Chris Roberts games in the past. I still play Freelancer! So I don't want to get involved with this game and become addicted.

This had me foaming at the mouth like a hungry dog looking through a butchers shop window.

Edited by SceptreCore

This had me foaming at the mouth like a hungry dog looking through a butchers shop window.

Aaany day now... You know yer gunna.

Wait for the Alpha 3.0 release. Coming soon.

It'll be worth it.

Personally I'm waiting for the new delta patcher before I bother trying it again. Not going to waste my time downloading gigs unecessarily.

• Like 1

Personally I'm waiting for the new delta patcher before I bother trying it again. Not going to waste my time downloading gigs unecessarily.

Delta patcher due in 3.0, apparently, so that's simplified. ;)

It won't help you for 3.0 itself, though - almost everything changed. The d/l looks to be about 30GB, judging from a couple of pics floating around! (Ow! Going to have to buy more data that month, and spend a full day on it.)