hawkeye

What of Atomic?

Perhaps, if the site is to remain intact, it could become a sort Aussie Anandtech focussing on the more traditional hardware aspects of the hardware we love? It would be a shame were the front page to be lost, it could show much potential.

I heartily endorse this sentiment David. You've recently said that the frontpage has gotten epic amounts of traffic. It'd be a damn shame to retire the brand completely except the forums.

Sadly, we're merging the sites, too. That said, we'll still be running Atomic content, among everything else. And all that content will be branded Atomic, and live on an Atomic mini-site, like the STUFF content currently does.

Farewell Atomic,

It has been my main literary bathroom material (Too much info perhaps?) since 2001.

I STILL have a Duron Processor unlocked with a 2b pencil at home....AND I'm positive that you guys definitely played a part in my IT career.

The saddest part perhaps is that only the last 6 months have I come back to Atomic after a few years off...But I think given the current trend of IT a merger will only bring good things....

Best of luck to all atomic staff Past and Present (particularly Logan, Ben, Asthon and John.... they were golden-years in IT for me and a lot of that rests on you guys).

If we merging sites does that mean we will have to resign up with new passwords and such. Because i have forgotten my passwords ,lolz. Just glad my cookies not gone mouldy.

I was browsing Kotaku today and the article showing the last cover reminded me to say something about this event. Times change and so must we all as nothing is ever the same as it once was. Ever since I was able to afford a subscription I had been handing over my money happily to a home grown crowd of dedicated enthusiasts who loved what they did and showed it every single month.

Even if there were elements that I found little interest in there was always something good in there or a bold experiment being tried and that was the part I really liked about it all (The uber Linux box project being one standout moment or Atomic Live being another). It really felt like a representation of the Australian technical enthusiast crowd, not taking itself as serious as PC Authority or as narrowly focused as Hyper of PCPowerplay and that was what helped it build such a community behind it which still continues to endure as you can see the evidence all around you.

You did us proud Atomic, you did yourselves proud. Every single one of you from editor, to writer, to designer and contributor.

Specifically to hawkeye, let nobody say you didn't do everything you could. It may not be ideal, but I think you have done the very best you could with what you had. All the best for the future you crazy Ultramarine *thumps breastplate*. Courage and honour.

Edited by Rion

Farewell Atomic. :(

Not only have you given me years of great reading, copies of Bulletstorm and Crysis 2, a Theron mouse, a few thousand dollars worth of purchases *looks at Cosmos II* and a few memorable nights with your staff, but my wife got a job in the industry thanks to someone she met at one of your events!

Just last month we were in the US and she was spruiking you guys to her sister. "I was hooked at the first issue I saw. It was all about motherboards. MOTHERBOARDS."

I don't post much here but the train ride to Bondi won't be the same without you guys.

Kotaku brought me here.

Everything has to end, and whilst not unexpected, it's still a shock.

Farewell forums people.

forums are stayin mate :)

Very sad to hear, especially as a reader from issue 1 (still have the t-shirt - despite how thin it is) and subscriber from around issue 3. Sucks that this is my first post here in... I don't know how long. Haven't looked at the forum at much in the last few years but I still recognise a lot of names in just the first one of two pages of this thread that I read.

Wish you all the best and hope you can maybe come back on your own again, but I guess times changes...

P.S. David, you weren't in Brisbane by any chance today?

Farewell Atomic,

Not an active forumer, I was not aware of the news until I got the last issue in my mail box an hour ago.

It was a shock to see that emoticon on the cover.

It makes me sad. I almost shed a tear when reading the last page post by Ben Mansill.

I'd like to thanks all the Atomic team and the community.

Atomic made me be proud to be a PC/gaming/tech enthousiast.

The Atomic spirit 100% defines all of this in so many ways.

I lived a few years in Australia and I came back to France three years ago but I still am a subscriber.

Australia seems a bit further now :( .

I'll never forget the Atomic magazine.

I hope that the Atomic spirit will still live strong in its new form.

Thanks again to the Atomic team and to the community.

MAXIMUM POWER to all of you,

Tn

Edited by tny

We are not losing the forums.

The forum URL will remain the same, even though it'll technically live under the PC&TA site. But given most of you bookmark directly here, you'll barely notice.

And no, I wasn't in Brisbane - do I have a look alike?

Rion... FOR THE PRIMARCH! FOR ULTRAMAR!

one more atomic live around the country to remember atomic? or is that all ready been planned?

EDIT: fixed spelling errors,wrote it really fast and forgot the errors.

Edited by jdog

I don't know about Atomic LIVE - that was one HUGE event - but we're certainly planning on doing as many events as we can.

Good news, I get the last issue of Atomic on my sub, then one issue of PC&TA. well, not exactly good news, but better news...

Not sure if I'll renew after this.

FYI, the next issue of PCA you receive will not be the cross-over one - because of the schedule timings, the merger is happening from January ;)

I registered simply to reply to this thread. I've never been on these forums before, as when I am online I am online usually to work (I am a programmer) as such, the fewer social distractions the better.

I've been a subscriber for about 7-8 years now, I can't even remember how long. But I've got a lot of issues of Atomic stored away. I wish to express my disappointed with the "cancellation" of Atomic (let's not fool around here, it is cancelled afterall :(). I might be one of the few, though I am sure there are others, who genuinely read and enjoyed Atomic. I never agreed with every article, but that's not the point. It was some what an escape for me, away from regular Internet articles, it was something I could hold in my hands sit back and relax while reading... I am on a PC most days reading text so regular text can somewhat be a relief.

But anyway, time goes on, things change... Still disappointed but I am somewhat understanding. Thank you to all the writers and anyone else involved in the publication of this magazine. You've supplied me much enjoyment over the years and believe me when I say I am truly disappointed.

So good luck with things in the future. Who knows, maybe some day it will return in it's full glory.

Edited by sadman

:(

Makes me sad also...

I have 5 years worth of Atomic mags, bought my first issue back in August 07 and haven't stopped since. Quite Ironic that I actually was getting PC&TA (pc authority then :P) in 07 till I started getting Atomic :D.

So I suppose its like doing a big loop.

Thankful the forums are still around! Thanks Hawkeye!

But hey at least Atomic shall still be around in one way or another...

Yeah, we're not going anywhere - the forums will still be here, the writers you know and love (well, know, at least :P) will be moving to PCA with me and John... so it'll all be very familiar, I hope.

Just got my last issue in the mail 10min ago, and read the EDHEAD, is 16 pages all you can muster in the new mag? The last time i bought pc authority mag it was literally 1/2 full of bullshit advertising crap.

In a backhand sort of way it's good to see new posters in this thread. Do us all a favour and stick around, post in the other forums, become an active part of the online community. That will keep the spirit of Atomic well & truly alive for all of us.

Been reading Atomic since issues in the 40's and Subscribing since issues in the late 50's, never registered with the forums before but as soon as I got my Mag in the mail today with it's emote for the cover I knew something bad was on the horizon, little did I know that this indeed was to be the last issue of the only computer mag I've ever had a subscription to. Very sad to say the least; I've always appreciated the straight forward and least biased format of the mag, particularly the Hardware reviews, tech stories and educational articles, and while the gaming sections have been of somewhat less interest to me (just being an average gamer and not a hard core fan) I've always seen the value in their combination in this format.

Well that's about all I wanted to say; this 45yo tech-head and fan tips his hat to all the great work you guys have done over the years, and while I guess there is some comfort in that atomic isn't disappearing completely, I can't help but feel that I'm now left with very few if any good 'Print' options when it comes to unbiased hardware reviews etc from a geeks perspective without all the glossy 'sponsored' rubbish you see in almost all other magazines.

Thanks Atomic ... will miss you :(

c0sm1c

Edited by c0sm1c

Been reading Atomic since issues in the 40's

Cover story: Get MORE WATTS from your wireless receiver! We show you the filament overvolt mod that RCA Victor doesn't want you to know about! Double your emissions, double your swingin' jazz!

Sorry, I know what you meant, but the opportunity was too good to pass up! :P

Edited by SquallStrife