hawkeye

What of Atomic?

Been reading Atomic since issues in the 40's

Cover story: Get MORE WATTS from your wireless receiver! We show you the filament overvolt mod that RCA Victor doesn't want you to know about! Double your emissions, double your swingin' jazz!

Sorry, I know what you meant, but the opportunity was too good to pass up! :P

LOL! I'm sure I still have my old HMV Stereogram around here somewhere ;-)

Posted Image

The way real geeks got their Atomic ;-) LOL

Edited by c0sm1c

Just got my last issue in the mail 10min ago, and read the EDHEAD, is 16 pages all you can muster in the new mag? The last time i bought pc authority mag it was literally 1/2 full of bullshit advertising crap.

When did you last buy an issue, by the way. I'm looking at the flatplan now, and I only count 23 or so pages of ads out of a 114 page magazine :) Given that the mag is going to go UP in size for these new pages, and that the ad count will likely stay the same, the ratio will get even better.

In a backhand sort of way it's good to see new posters in this thread. Do us all a favour and stick around, post in the other forums, become an active part of the online community. That will keep the spirit of Atomic well & truly alive for all of us.

This. SO MUCH THIS.

Well that's about all I wanted to say; this 45yo tech-head and fan tips his hat to all the great work you guys have done over the years, and while I guess there is some comfort in that atomic isn't disappearing completely, I can't help but feel that I'm now left with very few if any good 'Print' options when it comes to unbiased hardware reviews etc from a geeks perspective without all the glossy 'sponsored' rubbish you see in almost all other magazines.

For what it's worth, you'll be seeing a lot of familiar names in PC & Tech Authority if you do follow it - I'll be there, continuing with gaming stuff and hardware, John G will be there, Dan Rutter, Ashton Mills... We really do want to try and keep the core of what made Atomic great going.

Just got my last issue in the mail 10min ago, and read the EDHEAD, is 16 pages all you can muster in the new mag? The last time i bought pc authority mag it was literally 1/2 full of bullshit advertising crap.

Further to what David's already said, don't forget that those 16 pages are going to full of WIN!!

In a backhand sort of way it's good to see new posters in this thread. Do us all a favour and stick around, post in the other forums, become an active part of the online community. That will keep the spirit of Atomic well & truly alive for all of us.

This. SO MUCH THIS.

Totally.

I promise I won't bite.

Further to what David's already said, don't forget that those 16 pages are going to full of WIN!!

I'm offering a trimming service.

Send me your PC & Tech Authority magazine with a replied paid envelope and I'll trim it down so only Atomic content remains. I'll even give you a spiffy Atomic cover that will be stuck on the front!

You know this all came about because of all the people blocking the ads

Don't deny it - Been getting warned for years

:P

You know this all came about because of all the people blocking the ads

Don't deny it - Been getting warned for years

:P

I'd like to know where you get an adblocker for print ads... :P

:(

Sad news indeed. This magazine has been a part of my life since issue 7. A friend showed me issue 6 one day at high school. It was all a young PC enthusiast needed to see to auto sub ;)

Since then the forums have been in my browser every time it starts up. I'm glad this place gets to survive, so thanks/kudos to David for helping to keep the forums community alive.

Big thanks to Ben for kicking it all off so many years ago, it's given me a place to come home to on the interwebs pretty much my whole online life.

Question for David. Zinio subs, will they automajically be turned/converted into PC&TA digital sub?

Also, will the X-ray in depth articles still make an appearance once in a while in the new merged format? Gotta have some hard core science/computing tech learning for the PC&TA crowd!

Question for David. Zinio subs, will they automajically be turned/converted into PC&TA digital sub?

Also, will the X-ray in depth articles still make an appearance once in a while in the new merged format? Gotta have some hard core science/computing tech learning for the PC&TA crowd!

I *think* the zinio subs will roll over too, but I will need to confirm that one, as the Zinio person isn't in the office right now.

As to X-ray, Zeb's already sent me some big ideas :) So he'll be back eventually, don't worry. And to make up for the lack of it being regular, he'll be writing much bigger, fuller features.

Last of the V8 interceptors.

Piece of history.

Woulda been a shame to blow it up.

I just opened my new edition of Atomic and could tell straight away something was up. Such sad news to see the mags final standalone issue. I've been lucky enough to be subscribed since issue 76, and since that time Atomic has helped me keep in touch with all things PC related, including system builds and trusted gaming and tech reviews. It really doesn't seem that long ago when issue 100 was celebrated, or the 10th anniversary of the mags inception. Times move quickly.

About this time last year, however, I also subscribed to PC & Tech, so in that way I'm lucky in that the change won't be too difficult for me to grasp. A huge thanks to all those who have contributed to the magazine and it's a relief to know the forums will still be here and the Atomic name won't be forgotten. To have had such a high quality magazine in a very small market such as ours was a blessing and one that all readers would certainly be thankful for.

Thanks for all your work,

~MS.

Wow, seems like forever since I've been to this site. It would appear that unlike many here, I had once engaged with but moved on from the forums, yet continued my subscription all this time. Atomic was always my way of keeping up to date with the latest tech even though I haven't built a gaming machine for years. Needless to say, I was gutted by the news confronting me on page 1 of issue 143, however I do look forward to seeing what will be made of the possibilities presented by this new venture!

And on that point, I do have one question (apologies if it has already been covered) : I understand that current subscriptions will roll over, but what of auto-renewals?

All the best :-)

Edited by SimonSS

As to X-ray, Zeb's already sent me some big ideas :) So he'll be back eventually, don't worry. And to make up for the lack of it being regular, he'll be writing much bigger, fuller features.

Posted Image

I'd throw money at whoever offered me the complete Atomic archives on disc. Especially if they included the first fifty as well in a less clunky format.

Just handfuls of money. You don't even realise.

Just thought this needed repeating.

I'd throw money at whoever offered me the complete Atomic archives on disc. Especially if they included the first fifty as well in a less clunky format.

I heartily endorse this service and/or product....

And replying YES PLEASE to again

Screw Haymarket, Im going to make my own atomic mag with blackjack and hookers.

Pssst... you may wish to tweezer that shit

):(

seriously why is everyone so obsessed around here about other peoples body hair?

If you were saying that to a female, you'd be getting called out as being sexist or some shit.

If you were saying that to a female, you'd be getting called out as being sexist or some shit.

But women use the reflection off the glass ceiling to keep themselves groomed, so its ok.

'