hawkeye

What of Atomic?

will the writers columns remain? I enjoy reading them.

Also could atomic still put on live events in the future?

I have so many fun memories of this forum and the magazine. From annoying the crap out of everyone when I first came here because I could make up my mind on parts for my new PC to meeting DH and not knowing it until 10 minutes later when he goes on stage and introduced himself.

and the one thing Ill miss..I never got POTM. the only achievement beside getting banned that I haven't got (got mentioned in feedback and in a article)

It is a damn shame to hear that the mag is buying the farm. So many great memories.

In saying that, I'm glad I've still got my PC panel from the 100 issue party. And I've got one question.....

Would it be too late to get a pic of it in there?

Just realised that it hasn't really been in the mag sice that awesome night.

EDIT: Quite happy that I got POTM as well, definitely a highlight :)

Edited by krispy89

Guest xyzzy frobozz

As someone who actually still enjoys print, this is pretty sad news. Sixteen pages is a pretty huge print content reduction, isn't it?

I'll definitely continue getting PC&TA. I guess it reduces my mag spend by one a month!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Fuck.

I really hope this has no negative effect on the forums.

Pretty sure the only way the forum could be more in decline is if it disappeared all together.

But as Tak mentions, this could be a blessing in disguise for the forums.

And I align my thoughts with Tak.

The regular forum users on PC&TA are complete fuckwits. So don't expect miracles. I was the first moderator on their forums, and the last one. No one could take the utter bullshit that was posted there, so the mods left. Every second post was an Apple vs Something flamewar. The rest were just morons being morons. The place was a cesspit, until they finally removed the forums altogether. Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Bad news indeed. You mentioned John and you will still be writing; I suppose this only infrequently extends to the freelancers such as zeb and ash. Damn shame.

Also there's another person left unmentioned, what happens to Dave West, aka Designer_Dave? Will he survive the merge too? The guy's done Atomic for years, before even I started...

Well bummer., I hope you guys keep doing what you're doing in your new home :)

Will you guys still be doing events like Atomicon and the Monash CGBC Atomic Day?

Sad news in a way, but glad it hasn't been canned altogether. Good luck with the merger hawkeye :)

I'll probably buy the first new issue and give it a shot.

Fuck.

I really hope this has no negative effect on the forums.

Pretty sure the only way the forum could be more in decline is if it disappeared all together.

But as Tak mentions, this could be a blessing in disguise for the forums.

And I align my thoughts with Tak.

The regular forum users on PC&TA are complete fuckwits. So don't expect miracles. I was the first moderator on their forums, and the last one. No one could take the utter bullshit that was posted there, so the mods left. Every second post was an Apple vs Something flamewar. The rest were just morons being morons. The place was a cesspit, until they finally removed the forums altogether.

Well that's just wonderful.

At least we can have fun with the newbies!

or how about a mag with contributions by the forums where a group of people or a person write about a topic along with maybe a review or two of a new game or piece of tech? and then email to forum uses in PDF? Im sure there is enough smart people on the forum it could be done?

Just a Idea..

Adios, "Atomic".

Good times have been had, and while I contributed to your death by not actually buying the magazine for many years, it's sad to see you go for good.

or how about a mag with contributions by the forums where a group of people or a person write about a topic along with maybe a review or two of a new game or piece of tech? and then email to forum uses in PDF? Im sure there is enough smart people on the forum it could be done?

Just a Idea..

Won't work. People are lazy, inconsistent, and tend to require editing.

I'm kinda excited about this. This community is ageing anyway and it needs a solid change though without the magazine we are not going to get any new members so this forums is going to die along with the mag.

without the magazine we are not going to get any new members so this forums is going to die along with the mag.

Just curious but why would you say that? wouldn't the merger bring new members?

I am slightly worried about the merger if we get new members like what cyber is describing..

Edited by jdog

Okay, bunch of stuff.

Automatic renewals... that's a tricky one, and I imagine will occur to the right people about the time those renewals come up - I'll see if I can get an answer shortly.

jdog, no, PointZeroOne, I gate yiu.

As to David West, as Justin asks... well, that is without a doubt the saddest thing today. With the official closure of the mag, he and Matt Wilson were given redundancies. However, both will be offered ongoing freelance work, so we've not seen the last of them. But man, that sucked - I've worked with Dave for over five years.

We do still plan to host Atomic events, and in fact I've already been speaking with the folks at Monash about next years Atomic Bootcamp at Monash, and I've been very open with all our gaming publisher partners about still wanting to present great game nights to our readers. So, fingers crossed on that front.

Sorry to hear it, guys. Was fun while it lasted! But that's the way of the world, adapt or die. Glad to see it will live on in some form, mergers are just a part of doing business.

Wish the staff all the best, and hope its not too traumatic an experience.

Best of luck in the future.

-A-

They already banned the old cunts and that didn't stop the rot.

shhh its time to take your pills twinair.

How will the merger bring new members? Are they being moved here are we being moved there? I doubt it.

Edit : hawkeye edited his post. There are no plans to do anything too the forums soo abandon shipppppppp

Edited by mudg3

Plenty of online forums survive without a magazine link so hopefully the forums will hang in there. I won't know what to do with myself if they don't! :)

I've been seeing the slow decline for a while now so I guess this might be a shot in the arm.

Is certainly the end of an era though.

shhh its time to take your pills twinair.

But it's not Saturday night!

Pssst, know where I can get any?

As to David West, as Justin asks... well, that is without a doubt the saddest thing today. With the official closure of the mag, he and Matt Wilson were given redundancies. However, both will be offered ongoing freelance work, so we've not seen the last of them. But man, that sucked - I've worked with Dave for over five years.

:(

That should've been in the OP, news like that. Would've been bad news, bad news, good news, but those two dudes were a big part of Atomic - especially West. I mean, he made Atomic look like sex each month, which is surprisingly hard to do for computery things.

Man, deadlines with pizza and a batty designer, three of us bitching about typos and layouts and hoping someone from production would come visit so we could use them as an excuse to stop working for a few minutes. Fun times.

He's a private guy - I'm sure he'd rather it be a little down the page :)

Forum-wise, when I say nothing changes, I mean it in the best way. The URL stays, the FAQ stays, the Mods - if they want - stay. They may boom or bust, but that's something which has always been in the users' hands, not mine.

I will admit, I did have to burn a few favours to keep the forums going - be good if you guys made the most of it.

Man, deadlines with pizza and a batty designer, three of us bitching about typos and layouts and hoping someone from production would come visit so we could use them as an excuse to stop working for a few minutes. Fun times.

You guys had pizza? I never got pizza... and I came and visited you all the time :(

Forum-wise, when I say nothing changes, I mean it in the best way. The URL stays, the FAQ stays, the Mods - if they want - stay. They may boom or bust, but that's something which has always been in the users' hands, not mine.

I will admit, I did have to burn a few favours to keep the forums going - be good if you guys made the most of it.

As i've said before.

... to the bitter end i will stay.

As i've said before.

... to the bitter end i will stay.

^ this.

Thinking maybe we should try and make meet 13 something special as well.