codecreeper

Thunderstorms and copper lines

Yea chrisg i will agree with your last statement. I personally find Ball lightning a favorite discussion topic of mine when talking about Lightning phenomena.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

So is Lightning a element or Living substance? If it can follow its own path then it must be Living substance. If it was a Element then a non conductive surface would stop it in its path.

Maybe Mars is really watching us.

Hmmmmm.

Posted Image

i don't think there is such a thing as "non-conductive"

Everything will conduct electricity with high enough voltage.

:)

Lightning takes very little notice of conductivity issues, apart from sea water and even then you can get a tingle or more from a nearby strike.

My pool pump was zapped a few years back, pool guy says probably it hit the pool first.

Ball lightning is decidedly odd, some people even question if it exists, well, I've seen it so no doubting on my part - best guess is a plasma phenomenon.

Cheers

So wood and Plastic or nylon would be the same as Copper or steel in a Thunderstorm? Well that kinda makes the theory of Conductors and Insulators almost useless in a Thunderstorm.

Hmmm.. yes well i am dumbfounded .

Guest xyzzy frobozz

So wood and Plastic or nylon would be the same as Copper or steel in a Thunderstorm? Well that kinda makes the theory of Conductors and Insulators almost useless in a Thunderstorm.

Don't believe that for a second.

As I said, a copper helmet is your best defence from lightning.

well, if the substance in question is also wet, then it's conductivity is improved, as least the bits that have water on them.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

well, if the substance in question is also wet, then it's conductivity is improved, as least the bits that have water on them.

Obviously you don't want to get your copper helmet wet.

That would be downright dangerous.

I've heard of cars being struck by lightning, despite having "rubber" wheels.

I remember the Lightning generator had a dome shape on top of it before it emitted lightning ,so how could a copper hat be any safer?

Does it have anything to do with points and such on top of old fashion houses to reflect lightning?

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I remember the Lightning generator had a dome shape on top of it before it emitted lightning ,so how could a copper hat be any safer?

As I mentioned before, it's very important that your copper helmet has a very tall copper antennae. The taller this copper antennae, the safer.

As Jerusalem mentioned, if you're golfing at the time, ensure all of your strokes are played with your iron, and that you swing with a nice, tall back swing. This will ensure that you not only don't get hit by lightning, but that you have sufficient loft on your ball that if lightning should strike, it will strike your ball at sufficient altitude to ensure that the ball cools back to a solid before landing. A liquid ball is very difficult to hit and, on most courses and in the PGA rules, attracts a drop-penalty for "ball strike".

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Hence why you need a copper Faraday hat in a lightning storm.

See Codey? I wasn't pulling your middle one!

Posted Image

As Ned Kelly once said - Be storm safe kiddies! Wear a metal hat!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Hence why you need a copper Faraday hat in a lightning storm.

See Codey? I wasn't pulling your middle one!

Posted Image

As Ned Kelly once said - Be storm safe kiddies! Wear a metal hat!

That is a Golf ball collector on a practice range.

So is Lightning a element or Living substance? If it can follow its own path then it must be Living substance. If it was a Element then a non conductive surface would stop it in its path.

Not sure if serious.

Lightning is neither. It is a flow of electrons.

Codey, maybe you need to borrow this guy's suit for real protection

Edited by Jeruselem

Codey, maybe you need to borrow this guy's suit for real protection

That was very interesting that clip. He not only conducted it ,but used the energy to power devices. Acting as a pass through then.

Last night, I wrote up this whole speil on electricity for codecreeper. Then, I just deleted it all because I realised that SquallStrife had answered the question succintly in one sentence.

Lightning is certainly very interesting to study but also deadly ... had enough stuff in the house blow up.

Maybe that is why UFO's pass through the Earth's Atmosphere and collecting Lightning to recharge their Energy sources.

A bit like a Electrolytic Capacitor that holds a charge for so long then releases it in short bursts.

Maybe that is why UFO's pass through the Earth's Atmosphere and collecting Lightning to recharge their Energy sources.

A bit like a Electrolytic Capacitor that holds a charge for so long then releases it in short bursts.

You're the worst troll.