redrob

Q6600 2.4 TO 3.0

Ok after getting an overclocking fan some time ago and playing with some small over clocking on you tube .I decided to do a bigger over clock and following the you tube video Q6600 2.4 TO 3.0,ARE THESE TEMPS OK i have the warning and shut down feature set on core temp.

Cheers Rob

http://i48.tinypic.com/2retpg5.jpg

Awesome dasa ill try that prime95 how long should i run it for or just run each test

~3 hours of prime95 is normaly enough to know that your system is very stable but 1 hour is a good start

you should see full temps after about 5-15 min

Edited by Dasa

I had my Q6600 up to 3.8GHz and around 3.6GHz for daily use. Your idle temps look a bit high to me.. but will wait and see what you get for load temps. These are great CPUs and have a lot of potential :)

Here is an old thread that might help you out.

From memory 8*400 for 3.4, 9*400 for 3.6 :) FSB:RAM @ 1:1 ratio depending on your RAM...

Wow dude that sounds Awesome ,how do i stop the tests or do i do a screen shot and post it how do i know what is safe ,wonder why its high

Nah mate this was happening before my overclock ,the BSOD has been fixed now ,a mcafee tech walked me through some steps ,seems to be fine been running UTORRENT and mcafee and no probs all day

Thanks anyway

HELP THIS BLOODY TEST HAS BEEN RUNNING FOR 5 HRS NOW WHAT AND HOW DO I COPY IT TO SHOW YOU GUYS

Do a screenshot. Press the printscreen button, it shouldbe the top row of buttons above your arrow keys.

Then go to Microsoft Paint, and press CTRL and V at the same time.

This pastes the screen shot into Paint, save the file as a jpeg and post it here.

i assume your running prime95? if that's the case.. the test is irrelevant, it's just complex calculations. as long as you had no errors from it, should be fine.

what is important is how you monitored your temperatures during the process. post a screenshot of your temperatures, not the prime95 test.

Thanks devilsmurf,hope this is what you need so poison can you tell me how you got such a good overclock out of your beast,i live in THE N.T and its dam hot during the day you got 35 and at night you got 25 and some more .and ive got my pc in a box or the mozies will fly off with it .

what cooling are you using?

looks like its stable and topping out at 70c which is fine although the weather will get hotter you shouldnt be running prime at that time of day

keep an eye on temps for a whilke just the same

but that doesnt leave you much room to move with the current cooling if you wanted to oc further

you could try up the speed a bit more but leave it at 1.3v and see if its stable as this shouldnt increase the temperature much

Gday Dasa thanks again i found a you tube vid Q6600from 2.4.to 3.6 so now i am running at 3.6 idel temps are 49,47,55,51 i ran CPUZ for a couple of hours but some where i must have an alarm activated that when the cpu reaches 70 c the alarm goes off.So when im just surfing the net it seems fine ,and a dam lot faster.Iam not sure of the type of cooling it is i will check back through my invoice stuff..Ill get back to ya

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler THINK THIS WAS THE ONE I GOT,i remember i took of the cpu fan and replaced it with this one.That was a few years ago now .But this is what i ended up with after i folloed the vid Q6600 2.4 TO 3.2 Mot sure why i got 3.6 .But im sure you guys will.

http://i48.tinypic.com/sg245t.jpg

you have a question?

hsf is good but temps could probably be a little better maybe check its fan is running full speed and check its not full of dust or cool to the touch

if its cool to the touch you may want to look at taking the hsf off cleaning the old thermal paste off with some isopropyl alcohol then applying some decent thermal paste

see if taking the side of your case and sticking a desk fan in the side makes much difference

you have a question?

hsf is good but temps could probably be a little better maybe check its fan is running full speed and check its not full of dust or cool to the touch

if its cool to the touch you may want to look at taking the hsf off cleaning the old thermal paste off with some isopropyl alcohol then applying some decent thermal paste

see if taking the side of your case and sticking a desk fan in the side makes much difference

I would say it hasn't been seated properly.

@Rob: Try as dasa has mentioned and if not try cleaning the heatsink base and CPU cover and apply a decent thermal paste like Arctic Silver or NT-H1.

Just to check what sort of flow do you have through the case? How are all of your fans set up?

Ok thanks heaps guys ill try that ,and get back to you .

Cheers Rob

maybe ill take a pic of the inside where the fans are and try some more thermal paste its been a few years since its been repaced

Thanks xen for your help going hunting for arctic silver paste today ,i seem to remember the fan use to be louder than it is at the moment but ill get of here soon and open her up and do some cleaning and replace the paste.might even lash out and get a bigger fan i will let you know .

fan probably is louder due to the cpu being hotter so its revving up higher

Edited by Dasa

Nah fan was quieter but that was with the cover on ,i removed the dust and checked the fan it was warm,I left the cover of and when i booted her up ,i saw the fan and heard it kick in .I didnt bother replacing the paste as the heatsink seemwd warm as if it had been running.Anyway im now getting 42,39,45,44 and my system is showing 2.4 @ 3.6 so is this a good over clock.

Nah fan was quieter but that was with the cover on ,i removed the dust and checked the fan it was warm,I left the cover of and when i booted her up ,i saw the fan and heard it kick in .I didnt bother replacing the paste as the heatsink seemwd warm as if it had been running.Anyway im now getting 42,39,45,44 and my system is showing 2.4 @ 3.6 so is this a good over clock.

Good work.

The Q6600 was generally a champ with overclocking.