Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
smakme7757

The 3570K mystery

I thought about grabbing the 3770K, but realised that i didn't need the thread count seeing as i built a nice little server running ESXi for all my VMs (Which i donated the trusty 2600K to). This let me save some cash and grab a 3570K instead for my main rig.

Now i knew that IB was hot, but i didn't realise it was THIS hot. I was amazed to see it running at 65c while under load with a decent watercooling setup - at stock. Anyhow after some playing around, a reseat, checking the loop and so on i decided to double check the voltages.

Load Vcore was at 1.16v which was fine.

Then i saw it, CPU PLL 1.89v - Hmmm, i know my 2600k would run at 1.70v PLL at stock and even overclocked and that i managed to get it to run perfectly fine with only 1.60v PLL. So i turned down the juice to 1.60v PLL and the heat saving was amazing.

I went from 65c load to 50c load. This is more than acceptable. I have been out of the loop regarding the new IB CPUs so this might be common practice, but i sure was happy i found out :D

that sure is a big change nice work

main problem with ivy is that the ihs makes bad contact with the core

popping the lid and replacing the thermal paste can nock of 10c+

Edited by Dasa

that sure is a big change nice work

Yea i read about that and the whole "Delidding" process. It didn't seem to difficult and i had actually considered it, but i don't really need to now, Thankfully.

@Your edit: I wonder if i would get such gains by doing that. I've already saved around 15c by dropping the PLL, so i can't really see that i would gain so much more by delidding. Maybe 5c?? Hard to say.

Edited by smakme7757

probably wouldnt gain much more unless you up the vcore for a higher oc

Surely that would void the warranty? Not that I'm looking at an Ivy bridge system, just curious.

Surely that would void the warranty? Not that I'm looking at an Ivy bridge system, just curious.

sure does but then so does overclocking although popping the lid may be a bit more obvious

I've been using the power saving features on my PC.. sandy bridge is a bit lame in that you have to leave the cpu v on auto but so far I haven't noticed any problems.

Didn't make much difference to temps, at load around 50-55C depending on what it's doing (based on an ambient of ~28-32C as my study gets very warm), but I did notice that CoreTemp also seems to display power used by the CPU.. this gets close to 100W when @ 4.5GHz but gets nice and low when underclocked. In the below screenshots I was running Prime95 for heat and load which is the hottest it ever gets.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Not sure how accurate the power consumption reading is though?

Edit: Seen temps get above 70C and power consumption above 125W so not sure these auto settings are worth it :/ Auto gives way too much V.

Edited by p0is0n

I've been using the power saving features on my PC.. sandy bridge is a bit lame in that you have to leave the cpu v on auto but so far I haven't noticed any problems.

Didn't make much difference to temps, at load around 50-55C depending on what it's doing (based on an ambient of ~28-32C as my study gets very warm), but I did notice that CoreTemp also seems to display power used by the CPU.. this gets close to 100W when @ 4.5GHz but gets nice and low when underclocked. In the below screenshots I was running Prime95 for heat and load which is the hottest it ever gets.

Not sure how accurate the power consumption reading is though?

Edit: Seen temps get above 70C and power consumption above 125W so not sure these auto settings are worth it :/ Auto gives way too much V.

You don't have to leave the Vcore on auto. You need to set your own Dynamic voltage. Then it will both downclock and reduce the Vcore while idleing.

Also using Intel Burn Test with AVX will heat your CPU up much, much more than Prime 95.

Edited by smakme7757

with all settings at default (not overclocked)

power use at the wall ~85-95w idle ~160-170w load

core temp was showing ~7-8w idle and ~65w load early on then later it was showing 100w but power use at the wall only jumped ~6w

Posted Image

i wanted to test it at 4.3ghz with auto pll 1.82v and then with pll lowered but my system doesnt like starting at the moment i have to hold the case power switch while flicking the psu on and off till it spins up

and even then changes i make in bios are not taking effect

i think i need to try another psu and try reflash the bios

You don't have to leave the Vcore on auto. You need to set your own Dynamic voltage. Then it will both downclock and reduce the Vcore while idleing.

Also using Intel Burn Test with AVX will heat your CPU up much, much more than Prime 95.

Not sure my mobo has that option :(

my old p67 gb mb use to lower v fine with manual adjustment

this asus z77 though i have to use offset which can be a little tricky as the mb adjusts the v itself then i just have to check what its at in windows and tell it to add say .035v ontop of whatever the mb thinks it should be

my old p67 gb mb use to lower v fine with manual adjustment

this asus z77 though i have to use offset which can be a little tricky as the mb adjusts the v itself then i just have to check what its at in windows and tell it to add say .035v ontop of whatever the mb thinks it should be

hmm I only have one setting for cpu voltage.. auto or set manually.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, that may be a motherboard thing rather than a universal thing, I managed to set my voltage using offset and am still able to use powersaving mode, cpu idles at .960v and goes to about 1.24 under load when it clocks back up to 4.2ghz.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, that may be a motherboard thing rather than a universal thing, I managed to set my voltage using offset and am still able to use powersaving mode, cpu idles at .960v and goes to about 1.24 under load when it clocks back up to 4.2ghz.

so does my 2600K at 4.4G with all 4x RAM slots running at 2133Mhz, 100% rock solid (ran OCCT for near 15 hours)

it's the luck of the draw

;)

Can someone explain how to do this, or if it is even possible with the Asrock Extreme 4 motherboard?

Thanks.

Can someone explain how to do this, or if it is even possible with the Asrock Extreme 4 motherboard?

Thanks.

there should be a setting with "ppl voltage" as the name, turn it down. it can help sandy bridge but not as much.

if you want even better temps, fix it with a hammer. (google ivy bridge de-lip without a razer blade"