Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
orinjuse

What whisk(e)y are you drinking?

:)

Not drinking at the moment but the merest splash of water is recommended by most whisky makers and drinkers to unlock the flavours, I tend to agree.

I have, when drinking, a high preference for single malts and could say I lean to the depth of the Irish in a lot of cases.

Perhaps the best I have ever tasted was what was then a small batch produced by very ancient methods on the Isle of Jura - an old boss of my dad's owned half the island or we would have not known it even existed. A subtle mix of flavours, lots of peat and smoke and one hell of a kick is my recollection.

The last time I passed through Heathrow there was a Jura whisky on sale at the dedicated shop for the liquor of the Gods. The knowledgeable salesperson told me they had gone semi-commercial. I bought a bottle anyway, very good but not the same as my memories.

Some commercial blends can actually be very good, but equally some are just grossly over-priced, most particularly JW Blue, simply not worth it.

Actually in terms of inexpensive sipping there is nothing to complain about in JW Red for the price, so long as it is BIS, but that I'd only drink on the rocks.

I'm sure that I've posted it before but for anyone visiting Auckland there is, or used to be, a hotel at the end of Queen Street that on its first floor has a bar with a mammoth collection of single malts by the glass - you could spend quite a time there, or on the floor :)

Cheers

It's a touch hard to find variety over here, so along with the standard Glenfiddich 18 and the Chivas for mixing, the only moderately interesting ones I have at current are a Dalwhinnie 15 and a Hellyers Road Original.

Where are you based now? Dan Murphy's range is OK.

On the subject of water, I've had a play with it, but I tend towards neat for the sake of consistency in flavour, since I'm still trying to learn.

Currently waiting to be opened is a bottle of Johnny Walker XR 21. The last to be finished was Glenlivet 18, prior to that Dimple 15yo

Tis not mine though, belongs to dear husband. He's partial to JW Gold. I can't stand the stuff (Vodka for me)

I tend to agree with Opy. Also my grandma. Her theory is that a Scotch and Soda a day is the secret to a good long life. She's soldiering on in her 80s and proving her point. I take her a bottle of Hanky Bannister whenever I visit, she's also partial to Heather Mist, Chivas Regal and Grants. Interestingly she dislikes Johnny Walker.

Edited by pookiepony

My Whisky collection was rocking a few months back. Aberlour Abunadh, Glenkinchie 12, Highland Park 12, and Auchtentoshan 12.

I thought you were a smoke and peat man, Rob? They're all fairly tame in that department, aren't they? Those Glenkinchie and Auchtentoshans are on my to do list as well.

Heh, I am, I just went exploring for a few months.

The Aberlour Abunadh is a great peat-replacement because it has just so much darn flavour.

Personally I'll be skipping Glenkinchie in the future. It's just a tad too "sharp" for my taste. When I first had it I thought that I picked up on some fruity-ness, but I must've been imagining it.

The HP12 is a very good Scotch, very smooth, but a bit boring for my tastes. Just a bit "run of the mill" without any real character.

The Auchtentoshan 12 was great. It had almost a sweet taste to it, a bit like dried fruits.

Rob.

I live ten minutes from Hellyers road so I'm about to crack another bottle of that probably tomorrow night, apart from that only a bottle of Middleton 2008, a Laphroaig 18 and a bottle of Chivas 12.

If I'm not feeling particularly posh I usually have Jameson and (diet) dry quite often with a slice of lime. I need educating on the finer points of appreciation.

It's a touch hard to find variety over here, so along with the standard Glenfiddich 18 and the Chivas for mixing, the only moderately interesting ones I have at current are a Dalwhinnie 15 and a Hellyers Road Original.

Where are you based now? Dan Murphy's range is OK.

On the subject of water, I've had a play with it, but I tend towards neat for the sake of consistency in flavour, since I'm still trying to learn.

Seoul. You only really get the big name imports like Chivas or Glenfiddich. If you look hard you can find a few Bowmores also, but that's about it other than the two locally owned brands, which are both completely abominable mixed's.

The Whisky scene over here is pretty bad. It's terribly terribly trendy for any self respecting business man to drink Scotch, but it's very rare for anyone to actually have a fucking clue about what they're drinking, and it's all incredibly overpriced. A bottle of the dog-awful locally owned "Windsor" goes for about $150 a bottle in any bar. Anything worth actually drinking will set you back $300 at the minimum. And just for good measure they'll often drink it in bomb-shots with beer.

Yes, bomb-shots, not boilermakers.

*shudder*

On the water front, I tend towards being a single ice-cube kinda guy. A couple of drops of water is technically more correct, but there's just something about ice-cubes that I enjoy.

Edited by Disco

Seoul. You only really get the big name imports like Chivas or Glenfiddich. If you look hard you can find a few Bowmores also, but that's about it other than the two locally owned brands, which are both completely abominable mixed's.

Seoul, of course! Duh me, I knew that : p.

I have no idea what the rules are like in Korea, but have a look at Master of Malt and Whisky Exchange. If you can import spirits without too much trouble, it'll mean you can get UK prices minus VAT, with delivery about £12 a bottle.

I've come to prefer American whiskey to scotch. Some favourites that are in varying stages of emptiness:

* Whistlepig rye. Easily the best rye I've had.

* Van Winkle Old Fashioned rye. Also very good. Makes for a very nice Sazerac.

* Russell's Reserve 10. Rye-heavy bourbon.

* Buffalo Trace. As much as the Old Fashioned is a rye drink, making it w/ Buffalo Trace is a good idea. It's also readily avaliable and reasonably priced.

* Elijah Craig 12. Stumbled on it heavily discounted. Score. Quite sweet--maybe even a little sweeter than Woodford Reserve--but a nice enough drop to get away with it.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I drank half a bottle of this on Thursday night after I was made redundant at Atomic towers. Though I picked it up back in 2009 (after it won a bunch of awards), so it's at least 27 years old now.

EDIT: Finished off the night with one of these Whiskey Barrel Aged Stouts I've been keeping in my cellar (linen closet).

Double EDIT: For people who like to shop for the finer things in life, like good beer and whiskey, this website is my favorite. http://www.masterofmalt.com/

$500 bottle of Scotch?!?!

No wonder they made you redundant!

I'm sure that tasted absolutely magical. The best Scotch I ever tasted was a 32YO Dalmore. I only had a glass but, by god, was that a thing of beauty.

Fun fact:- A lot of people keep Scotch for years to "age" it. Unlike wine, Scotch will not age in the bottle, so should taste exactly the same as the day it was bottled.

Cracked the Middleton tonight, it was magic. Found a bottle of Laphroaig quarter cask in the cupboard to, extra peaty goodness ftw.

My Whisky collection was rocking a few months back. Aberlour Abunadh, Glenkinchie 12, Highland Park 12, and Auchtentoshan 12.

I thought you were a smoke and peat man, Rob? They're all fairly tame in that department, aren't they? Those Glenkinchie and Auchtentoshans are on my to do list as well.

I drank half a bottle of this on Thursday night after I was made redundant at Atomic towers. Though I picked it up back in 2009 (after it won a bunch of awards), so it's at least 27 years old now.

EDIT: Finished off the night with one of these Whiskey Barrel Aged Stouts I've been keeping in my cellar (linen closet).

Double EDIT: For people who like to shop for the finer things in life, like good beer and whiskey, this website is my favorite. http://www.masterofmalt.com/

That's not a bad severance package at all! Did you pay full price for it back in 2009?

On Master of Malt, Sap and I did an order with Whisky Exchange a little while ago, who have the same kind of business model but generally come out slightly cheaper. They have more specials on, at least.

I got it Duty Free on the way back from a USA business trip. Think it was around $290.

I just use Master of Malt as they have 30ml samples, and also stock Brew Dog beer, so i can bundle in some beers :) I'll give Whiskey Exchange a look in next year though, the next two months I'll likely be watching my money a little closer :P

Guest xyzzy frobozz

On the water front, I tend towards being a single ice-cube kinda guy. A couple of drops of water is technically more correct, but there's just something about ice-cubes that I enjoy.

I actually agree 100% on ice over water.

I like ice because, as it melts, it changes the character of the spirit, so you gradually taste more of the flavours being released as you drink. Of course, I ensure that all the ice has melted before I actually finish, that way the spirit is allowed to warm up, thereby releasing all of it's flavours.

I went to a whiskey tasting night one night with a apparently famous distiller from Scotland (can't remember his name). He told me that the most correct way to drink Scotch is the way that you enjoy it. He said that there's nothing wrong with ice, so long as you don't allow the spirit to get too cold.

I'm partial to a wee drop of Bushmills, but you can only get Black Bush here. I had Bushmills white label in Northern Ireland, and it tasted just as good for about 2/3 the price (local prices to local prices). It's a shame they don't stock it in the $35-45 range back here.

I normally have my whisk(e)y with a dash of water, with 2-3 ice cubes, or neat (in order of preference). I used to prefer ice, but after being convinced to try the water I was convinced. The ice cools the whisk(e)y, preventing the release of a wide range of volatile aromatics. You can get the same gradual dilution effect by starting with a few drops of water, then adding more after each sip. Obviously this works better at home than at a bar, and is more trouble than most people are willing to go to. I generally have a few drinks at different levels of dilution, decide which I like best, then make the rest at that level from then on.

That said, I'm quite partial to a hot toddy in winter. Think mulled wine, but for whiskey. Wrap lemon slices (seeds and all), cinnamon, and cloves in a piece of cloth and boil it in water, then pour a shot each of the infused water and the whiskey over a teaspoon full of sugar (traditionally over the back of the spoon to avoid cracking the glass). Garnish with a slice of lemon. The Irish cure for the common cold.

Edited by DaCraw

Yoiichi 12 & Yamazaki 18 are the ones tickling my pink ATM...

Hey, some good Japanese representation so far. What do you think of them?

Ooh, sorry for the late response. TBH, despite my initial scepticism about Japanese whiskeys, I soon found that they apply the same obsession and dedication to mastery to whiskey distilling that they do to anything they undertake. And the results show. I'll now take a Japanese whiskey over a scotch any day of the week, although I'm still partial to a Glenmorangie now and then.

Try the Yoiichi 12 if you haven't already. It has this beautiful smokiness in there. Yummeh.

Hong Kong & Macau have a few decent whiskey bars now. Drop me a PM next time you're around this way and point them out to you. Also, MOD Pub in Taipei is awesome...

Try the Yoiichi 12 if you haven't already. It has this beautiful smokiness in there. Yummeh.

Hong Kong & Macau have a few decent whiskey bars now. Drop me a PM next time you're around this way and point them out to you. Also, MOD Pub in Taipei is awesome...

I've just started getting to work on the Nikka from the Barrel I picked up, which is definitely a very nice blend. I'm not far enough into it to properly comment though, and that's the first Japanese whisky I've tried. I'll keep note of the Yoiichi though.

If I'm up in Honkers again at some stage, I think I really need to try to get some tourist time instead of the usual whirlwind work tour, so I'll give you a heads up if I manage it!

Currently the sideboard has the following collection:

Lagavulin 16YO (the ol' faithful permanent tenant - always gets replaced)

Laphroaig 18YO

Scapa 16YO

Glenmorangie 18YO

Jameson's 18YO

The collection is a little 'top heavy' (for my budget anyway) There's usually a couple of 12YOs and even a blend or two (Monkey shoulder) but I've drunk them down and not replaced them since I moved house.

Nice collection there Stadl, but not a cheap one : p.

OK, so a question for the more experienced whisky collectors; do you keep the boxes or tubes the bottles come in? I've heard arguments for storing your bottles in the box so it doesn't get exposed to light, but I don't know if that's actually worth the bother.

I've tried both Sap. They're both special and distinctly different. More different than I certainly expected from a simple difference of age. That being said I preferred the 12 to the 15.

OK, so a question for the more experienced whisky collectors; do you keep the boxes or tubes the bottles come in? I've heard arguments for storing your bottles in the box so it doesn't get exposed to light, but I don't know if that's actually worth the bother.

I've not heard that but it makes sense. UV light definitely screws with beer, hence the prevalence of brown bottles...

do you keep the boxes or tubes the bottles come in?

Nope. I leave them behind at the bottlo. It's just extra crap for me to take home, which will get binned anyway.

My scotch goes into a cupboard which doesn't have a Sun in it, so I'm okay.

Edited by twinair

Nice collection there Stadl, but not a cheap one : p.

I tend to drink the contents before that even becomes an issue.

do you keep the boxes or tubes the bottles come in?

Nope. I leave them behind at the bottlo.

I also do this, today I am drinking this.

Posted Image

My stuff is in a cupboard dedicated for the purpose, so I don't give a toss about light getting to the bottles. Since the tubes take up very little more room than the naked bottles, though, I often leave them on until such time as I'm about to have a wee dram. (Yes, they do occasionally spend some time unopened.)