orinjuse

What whisk(e)y are you drinking?

Seems there’s a few whisk(e)y fans around these parts – in fact, my own nascent exploration of the drink has been guided by our own MrFriendly and Saponification. So let’s have a thread for it!

What’s in your collection? What are you drinking now? What do you think about it?

In my collection currently:

- Talisker 10 year old

- Ardbeg 10 year old

- Glenlivet 18 year old

- Nikka Whisky from the Barrel

- The Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old

- Dalwhinnie 15 year old (just finished)

Tonight I’m drinking the Talisker (neat). I’ve been learning to enjoy the Talisker more as I’ve been working my way through the bottle. I like the peat and the smoke to it, but I’ve decided it’s near the top of where I’d like to go on those scales – the Ardbeg is a bit too smoky for my taste, f’rinstance.

I'm going to go full blasphemy.

And say, having tried a number of the more expensive whiskey's, I'm partial to a drop of Crown Royal of Jack Daniels.

For some redeem-ability, my taste in wine is a bit more mature.

I won't judge! How do you drink it?

Normally neat.

Cant go past JD with Coke though.

Very underrated in my opinion, it's my favourite of the highland whiskeys.

I'm drinking Yamasaki 12yo tonight. It's a nicely crafted, and quite reflective of the Japanese culture. Delicate, smooth, and interesting.

If you like the Talisker, but would like to try something a little bit less intense (particularly the iodine flavours), give Lagavulin 16yo a try.

Yoiichi 12 & Yamazaki 18 are the ones tickling my pink ATM...

Hey, some good Japanese representation so far. What do you think of them?

Very underrated in my opinion, it's my favourite of the highland whiskeys.

I'm drinking Yamasaki 12yo tonight. It's a nicely crafted, and quite reflective of the Japanese culture. Delicate, smooth, and interesting.

If you like the Talisker, but would like to try something a little bit less intense (particularly the iodine flavours), give Lagavulin 16yo a try.

I agree, I really liked the Dalwhinnie. Quite affordable too.

Noted on the Lagavulin. At the moment I'm having a play with some sherried whiskies, like the Doublewood and the Glenlivet 18 (although that's more subtle sherry).

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Laphroaig 18.

Although if you don't like smokey peat, you're shit out of luck!

If you don't like the peaty Whiskys (they're an acquired taste), steer clear of Islay spirits (such as Laphroaig) and go for Speyside or Highland malts, they tend to be more malt driven.

I tend not to have whiskey about the house these days, but I have my favorites when I hit up the whiskey bar in down.

At the moment, I think my two favorites that I nearly always get when I'm there is the Glenfarclas 105, and the Kilchoman Inaugural release.

The Kichoman is quite a sweet whiskey yet extraordinarily complex taste for a 3yo whiskey.

The Glenfarclas 105 is very strong cask strength whiskey, so, it's wise to have a couple and work your way up to it as it were. Once you're in the right zone you can appreciate a very complex range of sweet and spicy flavors.

Laphroaig 18.

Although if you don't like smokey peat, you're shit out of luck!

If you don't like the peaty Whiskys (they're an acquired taste), steer clear of Islay spirits (such as Laphroaig) and go for Speyside or Highland malts, they tend to be more malt driven.

It tastes like God tried to put out a camp fire with his own piss. I luuuuuurve it so hard.

Laphroaig 18.

A man after my own heart!

Also in the cupboard, a lovely Lagavulin 16. To my taste, it's just a teeny bit smoother and sweeter - but it's a pretty damn fine distinction.

Since trying it at Sap's place about a year ago, Laphroaig is my choice.

Not that I drink often and it's usually Tequila, if I'm drinking a spirit.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

a lovely Lagavulin 16. To my taste, it's just a teeny bit smoother and sweeter - but it's a pretty damn fine distinction.

Nope! You're spot on!

When I drink whisky it's always a Canadian. Canadian Club is the only one you can easily buy here, thank goodness you can at least get the 12yo in most major bottle shops. It's far, far superior to the regular 6yo stuff. The last time I came through Vancouver I got a bottle of the special 20yo that they only sell in duty free shops - that was one smooth CC.

Sadly, the best of the Canadian whiskies, Seagram's VO, is not longer available. When the company went bust it was broken up and the brands sold off. It's main seller, Crown Royal, still exists but in name only. It's just a shadow of what it used to be.

I haven't been living in Canada for a loooong time now so I haven't had a chance to explore any of the newer players in the market, hence the reason I tend to stick with CC.

Edit: speeling

Edited by Zzozzach

My Whisky collection was rocking a few months back. Aberlour Abunadh, Glenkinchie 12, Highland Park 12, and Auchtentoshan 12.

But I drank down all my stock without buying anything - leaving me with a (currently) rather sparse collection.

Currently I have a bottle of Shackleton's Rare Old Highland Malt Whisky, and 12yo anCoc.

My next purchase, likely in a few weeks, will be: Another bottle of Aberlour Abunadh, Laphroaig 12, and quite possibly Auchentoshan Triple-Wood or somesuch. Unless Dan Murphy's has something new that catches my eye.

Rob.

Some CC that I drink with dry ginger ale.

And I sometimes have some Monkey Shoulder on the rocks when I'm feeling a bit posh.

I drank half a bottle of this on Thursday night after I was made redundant at Atomic towers. Though I picked it up back in 2009 (after it won a bunch of awards), so it's at least 27 years old now.

EDIT: Finished off the night with one of these Whiskey Barrel Aged Stouts I've been keeping in my cellar (linen closet).

Double EDIT: For people who like to shop for the finer things in life, like good beer and whiskey, this website is my favorite. http://www.masterofmalt.com/

In my (dwindling) collection atm (yay honeymoons and duty free!):

Talisker 10

Ardberg 10

Glenfiddich 18

Glenfiddich 30

And my roughie that I always keep on hand, a bottle of BNJ

I've also got a bottle of Mekhong, which is called a Thai Whiskey, tho its technically closer to a rum.

Right next to the above, I've also got the following:

Courvoisier VS

Courvoisier VSOP

2x Courvoisier XO

Oh! And I was given a large bottle of Chivas at my bucks, but nfi where it is now...

I don't want to type my full collection, there's just a few too many in there.

Currently drinking:

Bunnahabhain 12

Laphroaig QC

Aberlour A'bunadh

King's County bourbon, a small distillery in New York, friend of mine grabbed me a bottle when she was in New York a couple of months ago

And the basic Glenlivet 12, just because I'd never had it before and it was on sale.

Almost finished my Laga 16, don't know if I'm going to buy another one. Not really a summer dram, though.

Meh Jim Beam Black for me. I figure that if I never taste anything nicer, then I won't know what I'm missing out on. Saves a bunch of dosh that way =)

Glenfiddich may cure cancer.

My girlfriend's father has had a number of cancer attacks. Previous to the current one, the doctors were saying unhappy things were coming. I introduced him to Glenfiddich one night and less than a week later the tests showed he was going into full remission. Awesome!

Now, he is in hospital and in a bad way with a bunch of tumors in his head, one actually pushing on his eye from behind. Weeks ago we were told he had up to 3 days to live. We gave him a small glass of Glenfiddich. My girlfriend tried to take it away from him, thinking it was too much. He can barely talk, can't stand, has trouble eating, but there was no way to get that scotch out of his hand. Almost a month later he is still soldiering on, savouring every chance he gets to have more scotch.

My Whisky collection was rocking a few months back. Aberlour Abunadh, Glenkinchie 12, Highland Park 12, and Auchtentoshan 12.

I thought you were a smoke and peat man, Rob? They're all fairly tame in that department, aren't they? Those Glenkinchie and Auchtentoshans are on my to do list as well.

I drank half a bottle of this on Thursday night after I was made redundant at Atomic towers. Though I picked it up back in 2009 (after it won a bunch of awards), so it's at least 27 years old now.

EDIT: Finished off the night with one of these Whiskey Barrel Aged Stouts I've been keeping in my cellar (linen closet).

Double EDIT: For people who like to shop for the finer things in life, like good beer and whiskey, this website is my favorite. http://www.masterofmalt.com/

That's not a bad severance package at all! Did you pay full price for it back in 2009?

On Master of Malt, Sap and I did an order with Whisky Exchange a little while ago, who have the same kind of business model but generally come out slightly cheaper. They have more specials on, at least.

It's a touch hard to find variety over here, so along with the standard Glenfiddich 18 and the Chivas for mixing, the only moderately interesting ones I have at current are a Dalwhinnie 15 and a Hellyers Road Original.

Every time I see the word Whisky, I think of Clint Eastwood in a county and western bar, growls "Whisky"

:-)

I drink all whisky neat. The only way.