Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
ice cold

Internet Issue/s

If you find you are having issues again in the future, try Googles DNS servers next time.

Primary DNS : 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS : 8.8.4.4

Same method as you used for entering the TPG DNS.

No worries, I am doing some tedious work at the moment with a lot of waiting so had time to check the forums.

Don't think there is any thread like that :)

Devilsmurf suggestion to use the Google DNS instead of TPG is also a good idea if you continue to have issues.

If you want to look further into it... check the settings in your router, it should list DNS somewhere, even just on the status and see if the settings in your router match the settings from TPG which I gave you. It's about all I can suggest for now..

Edit: Here is an example of my router.. it lists the iinet primary and secondary DNS serves so my computer automatically receives this info.

Posted Image

Edited by p0is0n

With TPG you actually have to manually enter the DNS info into the router for it to work correctly. Whereas others, like node and bigpond etc. send the DNS info automatically, you don't need to enter it anywhere.

Maybe thats the issue?

Edited by NukeJockey

With TPG you actually have to manually enter the DNS info into the router for it to work correctly. Whereas others, like node and bigpond etc. send the DNS info automatically, you don't need to enter it anywhere.

Maybe thats the issue?

That's a good point Nukejockey, does anyone know why TPG doesn't just send it automatically ?

Perhaps because they are useless?

:P

Seems an odd thing to do assuming Nuke is correct about TPG not broadcasting their DNS servers properly.

Maybe thats the issue?

Yeah, I guess that those cheaper prices do come with some pitfalls haha!

Maybe thats the issue?

That's a good point Nukejockey, does anyone know why TPG doesn't just send it automatically ?

Seems an odd thing to do assuming Nuke is correct about TPG not broadcasting their DNS servers properly.

Pretty shitty thing to do to there customers as Automatic DNS servers would not be difficult to implment and I'm sure the outlay would be minimal.

edit: Everything's still working awesome this morning, YouTube, FB, the lot.

Edited by ice cold

Maybe thats the issue?

I haven't used TPG for about 3 years, but when I was on them last, part of the setup was that you had to manually enter the DNS info when setting up the modem.

I haven't used TPG for about 3 years, but when I was on them last, part of the setup was that you had to manually enter the DNS info when setting up the modem.

Gah that's craptastic of them.

But now that you mention it I seem to vaguely remember something along those lines on the whirlpool forums. Something about their DNS servers being so poorly configured that they are not detected properly.

/edit

Just looked through one of TPGs setup guides and they say the modem should pick up their DNS settings automatically. So either something is screwy with ice cold's hosts file, the modems automatic DNS or TPG still have shitty DNS servers.

Edited by aliali

I've no experience with TPG personally.. but I'd be very surprised if that was the case, else they would have many customers in the same position as ice cold, unable to access popular websites and complaining loudly.. Unless they talk every customer through this upon signup.