SquallStrife

Green Room Pics Thread

One of the Interwebz' favorite topics! I like the comments almost as much as the video because I find it pretty spectacular how almost everybody who watched the video and commented missed the point entirely.

One of the Interwebz' favorite topics! I like the comments almost as much as the video because I find it pretty spectacular how almost everybody who watched the video and commented missed the point entirely.

I take the point as we're heading towards total automation at a 'catastrophic' rate with our historical response to change no longer able to cope. A pretty sobering thought as you would imagine once we have the first generation of true (whatever that means :P) AI even that branch of discovery will be taken over by machines with the 2nd generation possibly being the 'children' of the first.

Edited by GoFaster

All the YT commenters and the people responsible for that clip are acting like this is news. SF authors have been writing about this since there were authors! Since the first chess computers, finding an SF story where a person's 'employment' wasn't solely something they did because they wanted to do it (ie: a hobby) has been virtually impossible.

The scary part is going to be the transition years - that bit when the economic powers that have brought this about have not yet realised that they've just made money worthless. They're going to try squeeze their margins harder and harder, trying to reach perfect profit-loss ratio of 100% (and in the process kill many people), until they employ nobody at all - at which point there is nobody buying OR selling because everyone else has done the same thing, and suddenly the very concept of money is as meaningful as 'countable infinity'. (That's a real term, btw. Look it up.)

Edit: Of course, whether you regard the end of working slavery as a utopia or a nightmare, it may not happen - and probably not for the reasons you think. For example:

Edited by Cybes

All the YT commenters and the people responsible for that clip are acting like this is news. SF authors have been writing about this since there were authors! Since the first chess computers, finding an SF story where a person's 'employment' wasn't solely something they did because they wanted to do it (ie: a hobby) has been virtually impossible.

The scary part is going to be the transition years - that bit when the economic powers that have brought this about have not yet realised that they've just made money worthless. They're going to try squeeze their margins harder and harder, trying to reach perfect profit-loss ratio of 100% (and in the process kill many people), until they employ nobody at all - at which point there is nobody buying OR selling because everyone else has done the same thing, and suddenly the very concept of money is as meaningful as 'countable infinity'. (That's a real term, btw. Look it up.)

Edit: Of course, whether you regard the end of working slavery as a utopia or a nightmare, it may not happen - and probably not for the reasons you think. For example:

But but we like " Ooops Oh shit ! " ... it gives us something to blame :P ... 0 _o

Loved the floppy !

HA ha ha, that axe murder must of been one of her students, ythatsamoreeeaye. ha ha ha

General hackery, the display in a HP Protocol Analyzer being driven by an Arduino. The timings aren't quite right, so some of the pixels are clocked out during H retrace.

Kea63vIl.jpg

• Like 1

Less [ tags ], more plain full URL

Thanks Nich

I think I'm getting it. Slowly.

Edit: Taking this to feedback. Some wonkyness going on.

Edited by katalyst

Waiting for Mythbusters to fail to reproduce it and declare it "Busted".

Further waiting for the idiot brigade to trot out the Mythbusters failure as 'proof' that it's just an urban legend.

Further waiting for the idiot brigade to trot out the Mythbusters failure as 'proof' that it's just an urban legend.

I think it's proof the matrix is real.

I'm waiting for this to be a physics question in an exam. :P